Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: This is what i love  (Read 6111 times)

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: This is what i love
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2006, 09:06:36 PM »
"All I'm saying that it is no one's fault that people are in the position they are."

actually whites kept blacks in slavery for 400 years and then as sharecroppers for even longer. they then locked them out of professional careers with Jim Crow. This stunted the amount of wealth blacks could build and pass down their children, if any. therefore that is why the majority of blacks live below the poverty line. they have had less time as a group to get positions in certain fields (law, medicine), build wealth and pass it down to their children and establish themselves as part of the middle class. once again know what the hell you're talking about before you draw a conclusion.

oh and most of the white potheads and slackers i talked about weren't the children of millionaires they were poor, lower middle-class, and upper-middle class. their parents were working hard to put them through college as they smoked/drank away the opportunity. they also stressed out their employers by constantly showing up late/calling out sick. but i would never consider saying that whites are "lazy" or lack work ethic because of this small percentage of white people. doing so would be RACIST and that ilovecheese is exactly what you have done. judged a whole race based on the actions of a small percentage of that group. that is racism, plain and simple.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2006, 09:27:45 PM »
also your census link debunks your argument. there are more poor whites...but a HIGHER percentage of poor blacks in america. There are more poor whites, but they only make up 8% of all whites.

"Poverty rates remained unchanged
for Blacks (24.7 percent) and
Hispanics (21.9 percent), rose for
non-Hispanic Whites (8.6 percent in
2004, up from 8.2 percent in
2003)"

i see you're only a sophmore in college...you still have alot to learn.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2006, 11:54:07 PM »
BUT many URM's, many whites also do not work hard enough and fail in life miserably, so why should constant failure be rewarded.

If you are constantly failing you are not getting into law school. period. a person who gets poor grades (below 3.0) and LSAT score (<150) is not going to have alot of options. regardless of race.

Many URM"s just complain about their life and do nothing about it.

Once again a conclusion without proof to back it up. How do you know this? Do you know so many URM's you can say the majority complain about life and do nothing to change it? Also people of all races complain about life and don't do anything to change the situation including whites..what's your point?

Look at Jews, they went through prosecution their whole lives.For over 3000 years they were slaughtered and treated unfairly, but they never gave up, collected money and now no one can do sh*t to them because they have money, and money is power."

Because all Jews are wealthy and don't face anti-semitism here and around the world. ::) Wow, you are really good at generalizations. Also it's PERSECUTED not PROSECUTED. Learn english.

Same is with Sikhs in India, they are a minority that was prosecuted, because of that they worked hard and most Sikhs are very rich men, hence they got respect from the majority."

"India has murdered over 250,000 Sikhs since 1984, according to figures compiled by the Punjab State Magistracy and human-rights groups and reported in the book The Politics of Genocide by Inderjeet Singh Jaijee."   this is from http://www.khalistan.com/CongRecords/CR100104_Towns_IndiaShouldLiveUpToPrinciples.htm. Once again know what your are talking about before you draw a conclusion. And once again its PERSECUTED not PROSECUTED.

Why can't URM's follow the same path? Instead of bitching about the past just work through it.

It's not bitching about the past...it's explaining it to people like you who would rather erase it. And some things like racism and discrimination are not in the past. You're living proof of that.

So:
1) Learn the difference between PERSECUTED and PROSECUTED
2) Before you make controversial statements know your facts
3) Don't make generalizations

Those three rules will get you far in life. Your current reasoning won't. Good luck with your studies and let me know how you cope in law school with your baseless arguments.  8)

redemption

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2006, 07:51:53 AM »
Mental note to self: don't mess with Coquita  :D

JGB

• AOL Instant Messenger - jgxbyrd
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - byrdjg@sbcglobal.net
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 09:49:33 AM »
I am white, I did not inherit anything, and most people probably do not inherit much wealth. Besides, what happened a few hundred years ago does not prevent someone from purchasing life insurance.

*Edit* I just thought about my statement. The life insurance policy idea would not be working yet. The ones that could purchase it are still alive. Still a thought though for the future.

I think it is also wrong to deal with extremes when arguing points. However, I can see a few of the points. I live in Dallas. In Dallas, you have quite a few different neighborhoods. Highland Park, Rockwall, Frisco, and others are primarily white areas. They have excellent schools and most have funds to support the decision to go to college. I come from one of these areas, but my father went the ministry route (Not much money serving the Lord, but great joy!). I worked full time, put myself through school, and I will end up just fine. However, if you go closer to downtown Dallas, it is not as pretty. There is one particular school that can not seem to keep its doors open. These kids have virtually no chance. If you move a little further out, you have the big mixed schools such as Lake Highlands. This is an older area, but is probably evenly distributed in race. Who has more opportunity? It should be equal, but it is not. I actually spoke with my girlfriends younger brother about the school last night. He told me that it appeared that the Black and Hispanic kids frowned upon the Pre-AP classes or any educational groups because they were not "cool". So basically, the groups hurt themselves and limit each other.

Do I think AA works? I do not know. I haven't formed an opinion yet. The cream rises to the top eventually regardless. I will not run into it. I am going to study very hard to achieve the necessary scores to get into my school regardless.

Good luck to those that are fighting to move ahead regardless of race.
Applying Fall 2006

SMU or Bust

redemption

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006, 09:58:01 AM »
Do I think AA works? I do not know. I haven't formed an opinion yet. The cream rises to the top eventually regardless. I will not run into it. I am going to study very hard to achieve the necessary scores to get into my school regardless.

That's not true. If it were true, there would be no problem.

JGB

• AOL Instant Messenger - jgxbyrd
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - byrdjg@sbcglobal.net
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2006, 10:08:26 AM »
The cream rising to the top was being applied to the big overall picture. Those who strive to achieve their goals, will have success. Some might have to striver harder, but if you want it bad enough and you apply that passion, you will have success.

Another thought. AA will not bother applicants like me. I am only trying to attend a top 50 school. There is a lot of room from entrance. However, I noticed on your LSN, you are still pending. The injustice will show if you do not get into your schools. At that point, the admission process is rediculous.
Applying Fall 2006

SMU or Bust

redemption

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2006, 10:19:52 AM »
The cream rising to the top was being applied to the big overall picture. Those who strive to achieve their goals, will have success. Some might have to striver harder, but if you want it bad enough and you apply that passion, you will have success.

Another thought. AA will not bother applicants like me. I am only trying to attend a top 50 school. There is a lot of room from entrance. However, I noticed on your LSN, you are still pending. The injustice will show if you do not get into your schools. At that point, the admission process is rediculous.

What in the world is the big overall picture???

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think that uour idea of merit is too unidimensional. My numbers don't make me an autoadmit anywhere that I've applied, and I'm just fine with that - honest.

magnumalv

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2006, 10:22:28 AM »
The cream rising to the top was being applied to the big overall picture.

not if the milk is in turmoil during the process

(and yes, that's a metaphor)

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2006, 10:25:43 AM »
my take:  aa great for undergrad but not so great for professional/grad school.  i understand the interlinking of "race" and poverty and opportunity, but after you've had 4 years on equal footing and a great opportunity to prove yourself, it's time to "sink or swim".  adding to a school's diversity is one thing and should always be a factor, but one's ethnicity should not be elevated above other factors that add to diversity. 
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell