Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What schools are generous with financial aid?  (Read 1480 times)

Magellan

• View Profile
    • Email
What schools are generous with financial aid?
« on: July 30, 2004, 06:46:20 PM »
Of the schools in the lower tiers, anyone know who gives a lot of aid? I'm thinking places like Suffolk, Quinnipac, Stetson, etc....anybody get a good amount of money with pretty average stats?

freshstart

• LSAT: 156, UGPA: 4.0
    • View Profile
Re: What schools are generous with financial aid?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 08:00:51 PM »
I was fortunate enough to get a full scholarship to Stetson (plus $1K stipend), but only about 5% of students get this much aid.  Note that Stetson is trying to increase their aid for students, but it could be a slow process.  If you are looking for a school with great scholarship opportunity, look to The University of Toledo (lower Tier 2).  I think about 1/2 of the class is awarded full scholarships (some include fees, some don't).  Another item to note is that UT's dean said that about 1/2 of the recipients lose their aid for not meeting the class rank, etc. necessary to renew the scholarship.  Some scholarship stats on each school are available in the LSAC data sheets and show number of half and full scholarships offered.

Candide

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 11:19:52 PM »
Congrats on the scholarship and stipend!  Your classmates will be graduating with more debt than all law school grads except for NYU's.  Please buy them beer.

I was fortunate enough to get a full scholarship to Stetson (plus $1K stipend), but only about 5% of students get this much aid.  Note that Stetson is trying to increase their aid for students, but it could be a slow process.  If you are looking for a school with great scholarship opportunity, look to The University of Toledo (lower Tier 2).  I think about 1/2 of the class is awarded full scholarships (some include fees, some don't).  Another item to note is that UT's dean said that about 1/2 of the recipients lose their aid for not meeting the class rank, etc. necessary to renew the scholarship.  Some scholarship stats on each school are available in the LSAC data sheets and show number of half and full scholarships offered.

davial0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 03:30:21 AM »
I just going to say Toledo also, I got a full ride plus ( all fees) and 1000 stipend, and I decided to take it hopefully I be in the half the keeps it. But if you are a OH resident, the tution is under 13,00 which is pretty inexpensive for a law school. I also got great aid from Dayton, Cincy, Ohio Northern, and Wake ( my scholarship I got from undergrad continues to law school if we attend there)

runner8

• At the Cape of Good Hope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 01:31:03 PM »
Stetson does seem to be generous with scholarships. For those of you who have received scholarships or are familiar with admissions at Stetson, what are they primarily looking for when giving out scholarships?  Are they primarily looking at GPA and LSAT score? I guess I am trying to discover whether it is possible to get a decent scholarship from them.  I have seen people with stats similar to mine get partial or full scholarships.  Is it the numbers or something extra?
Accepted: Pitt, UK, Saint Louis (w/39K), Seton Hall(w/24K), Stetson (full ride), Maryland, Case Western
Rejected: BU

freshstart

• LSAT: 156, UGPA: 4.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 05:05:04 PM »
I am only just starting at Stetson (Fall '04), but after talking with admissions at an LSAC event last year, they indicated that my LSAT made my chances for scholarship borderline.  They suggested applying for admission to spring or summer to increase my odds of getting one.  After I was admitted, I called to ask about scholarships and financial aid said that usually they don't consider candidates with less than 160.  My LSAT is significantly lower (156), so I thought I had no shot at it.  Boy was I surprised when it was offered to me!

Your stats aren't that different than mine...I think you would have a shot as well, especially since they are trying to increase their aid for students.  I really don't know if extracurriculars, life experience, etc. factor in.  Maybe I'll know more after I start school and talk to some others, but I hope this helps.

runner8

• At the Cape of Good Hope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 09:16:13 PM »
Thanks freshstart.  I am very interested in Stetson.  I will be curious to see how you like the school. Even a little scholarship money might make a difference.  I am getting ready to move to Kentucky and will be applying to UK where tuition is around $9000 instate.  That is hard to beat if I am accepted to UK.
Accepted: Pitt, UK, Saint Louis (w/39K), Seton Hall(w/24K), Stetson (full ride), Maryland, Case Western
Rejected: BU

Magellan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 11:13:52 AM »
I'm also pretty interested in Stetson, but since I'm below 160 and my gpa isn't very good, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that they offer me something...