Law School Discussion

Major? Think it might have helped or hurt you getting in

Horsley54

• Ole Miss Bound
    • View Profile
    • Email
Major? Think it might have helped or hurt you getting in
« on: March 17, 2006, 11:25:19 AM »
Alright anyone think there major might have helped or hurt them get in?  Kind of afraid mine might have hurt, accounting, because didn't do alot of writing and then had a bad semester with grades too.

Re: Major? Think it might have helped or hurt you getting in
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 11:33:29 AM »
Communications.

Hurt.

It's got a reputation for being slack, but I'm actually in a debate/rhetoric concentration not interpersonal or organizational communication... unfortunately most applications didn't have enough room for me to get out my rhetoric concentration.

dividebyzero

• Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 11:55:51 AM »
It doesn't really even matter...

The only time it's likely to really make a difference is if you have a hard science
(biology, chemistry, comp sci, etc.) degree, in which case, it can make all the difference for schools that focus on Intellectual Property.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 12:04:24 PM »
Communications.

Hurt.

It's got a reputation for being slack, but I'm actually in a debate/rhetoric concentration not interpersonal or organizational communication... unfortunately most applications didn't have enough room for me to get out my rhetoric concentration.

Similar for me.  There is a stigma associated with the degree, so I found myself finding creative ways to use the space on the applications.  On some I'd put "Speech Comm." to at least differentiate me from those kids who studied TV for undergrad.  Other places that worded the field in a way that didn't require a major (like "concentration" or "main field of study") I put "Argumentation" instead of "Speech Communication."  One thing I did was put the whole name of my major on my resume, so they at least could find it there.

Coincidentally, I think my major actually helped me at one school.  Northwestern returned a favorable verdict very quickly on my late app without an interview.  Northwestern has a top three Communication department, as does my university.  Of course, no one will know that unless you are also in a top communication program (who else would care enough to rank Comm programs??).  NU law has close ties to the Comm department, which may explain for an almost automatic turnaround on my application though I'm slightly below their medians.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 12:17:59 PM »
My major definitely helped... social studies is like freaking catnip for law school.

(plus it's not that hard, except for my stupid 100 page thesis that is. best kept secret at harvard.)

I think it's becoming increasingly apparent that I'm only posting here to avoid my thesis.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 01:32:45 PM »
General Studies (Hist, Pol Sci, MIS)

Helped...

wunder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 01:58:03 PM »
Music Education - Probably helped.  Definitely not your traditional way into law school.

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 05:07:19 PM »
PoliSci/History- Probably about nuetral. On the one hand Im hoping the fact that I have 2 degrees was a little helpful. On the other hand, schools probably want diversity in there selection of students, and they get too many history/poli sci majors.

alexdn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 05:29:47 PM »
Political science- I can't see how it would have helped, because tons of poli. sci people apply to law schools. 

What might have helped, though, is that I took a whole lot of science classes as well, for school and pre-med requirements (yes, I was a pre-med, once...)

UseYourHead

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 05:21:32 AM »
Mathematics: Neutral--must be smart, but may be confused and probably illiterate

I still think the link below is the funniest I've seen (see #28/29)

http://www.uic.edu/cba/cba-depts/economics/undergrad/table.htm