Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seeking HLS Advice  (Read 760 times)

jmorrow

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 190
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Seeking HLS Advice
« on: March 17, 2006, 12:49:38 PM »
Sorry for the long post, but I'd definitely love some input.

I applied to Harvard Law back in September, in the hopes that I would get a yea or nay without waiting too long. That's important because my wife is a teacher, and schools do their hiring around now. We currently live in DC, where I've got GULC all lined up and waiting. HLS is my only out of town app, but I really, really would love to go there.

Borderline candidate as I am, the process has continued for quite some time.

We need to set some kind of date by which she can tell her current job, "We haven't heard yet, but I'm definitely staying on next year," and she can tell the Boston schools offering her jobs, "Sorry, but I'm out." We can probably keep everyone waiting through early April, but they're just not going to hold out into May and beyond. Already, her current and prospective schools have indicated that they'll want things sorted out somewhat soon.

The questions, then, are as follows:

(1) By what date would it be safe to assume that it just isn't happening for me at HLS? It would break my heart to let the clock just run out, but it seems like after a certain point, you're just holding out for the waitlist.

(2) Do you think it would make any sense, if push really comes to shove, to plead my case with the HLS office before withdrawing? In a sense, I'd have nothing to lose. I'm just not even sure how one would do that effectively. (And, really, who wouldn't like to call up and say "I need to know right now!"?)
Georgtown University Law Center/Public Policy Institute '10

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jmorrow

lovelovelovenyc

  • Guest
Re: Seeking HLS Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 12:51:36 PM »
Sorry for the long post, but I'd definitely love some input.

I applied to Harvard Law back in September, in the hopes that I would get a yea or nay without waiting too long. That's important because my wife is a teacher, and schools do their hiring around now. We currently live in DC, where I've got GULC all lined up and waiting. HLS is my only out of town app, but I really would love to go there.

But, borderline candidate as I am, the process has continued for quite some time.

We need to set some kind of date by which she can tell her current job, "We haven't heard yet, but I'm definitely staying on next year," and she can tell the Boston schools offering her jobs, "Sorry, but I'm out." We can probably keep everyone waiting through early April, but they're just not going to hold out into May and beyond. Already, her current and prospective schools have indicated that they'll want things sorted out somewhat soon.

The questions, then, are as follows:

(1) By what date would it be safe to assume that it just isn't happening for me at HLS? It would break my heart to let the clock just run out, but it seems like after a certain point, you're just holding out for the waitlist, anyhow.

(2) Do you think it would make any sense, if push really comes to shove, to plead my case with the HLS office before withdrawing? In a sense, I'd have nothing to lose. I'm just not even sure how one would do that effectively. (And, really, who wouldn't like to call up and say "I need to know right now!"?)

If you can holdout until the beginning of April, I would imagine they would be finished up by the first week in April (in time for the Admit Weekend).

jmorrow

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 190
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Seeking HLS Advice
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 12:53:25 PM »
If you can holdout until the beginning of April, I would imagine they would be finished up by the first week in April (in time for the Admit Weekend).

Thanks.

Right now we're thinking April 15 is when we have to shrug and let it go. She got a very attractive job offer a week ago, and we're just praying they'll wait with us until then.
Georgtown University Law Center/Public Policy Institute '10

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jmorrow

JaimeNina

  • Guest
Re: Seeking HLS Advice
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 01:09:08 PM »
I know that if you have an early deadline for some reason (like a scholarship, but your situation seems to apply), Yale asks that you write them an email informing them of the deadline by which you need a decision and asking for an expidited decision and they will try to accomodate you.  I can't imagine why Harvard wouldn't do the same.

nmb238

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 306
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking HLS Advice
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 01:25:56 PM »
Aside from the trolls over at NYU admissions, everyone I have spoken to in every office (granted, only three but still) have been BEYOND understanding and pleasant. Im sure if you explain your situation- kinda like you just did, Harvards your dream, your wife has a job she needs to work out, youve been accepted to a fine school elsewhere and are just holding out to hear from HLS- they will be somewhat accomodating.

They might just say "We can only tell you that our rate of acceptance is like 15% so those are the odds, cant say anything more" but again, that doesnt put you any worse off than you are now. You have nothing to lose by talking to them, so go for it.

And if you can slip in how helpful *i* am in writing this post, thatd be awesome too.  :P

~n
NYU06
PennLaw09


RIP Admissions Cycle
11.22.05 - 5.22.06

melicertes

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 116
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking HLS Advice
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 01:45:00 PM »
I know that if you have an early deadline for some reason (like a scholarship, but your situation seems to apply), Yale asks that you write them an email informing them of the deadline by which you need a decision and asking for an expidited decision and they will try to accomodate you.  I can't imagine why Harvard wouldn't do the same.

I actually emailed both Yale and Harvard about Penn's 04/07 deadline for accepting the Levy.  Harvard wasn't nearly as helpful or understanding as Yale.  Here was their reply:

"We recognize that a number of our applicants are in situations like yours, and we are thus doing our best to process the hold applications in an expedient manner, but unfortunately we cannot make any guarantees about faster consideration. A note will be added to your file regarding your situation, and we hope that we can respond to you before your deadlines, but it is not possible for us to say for certain either way. Please let us know if you need anything else.
 
Regards,

Harvard Law School J.D. Admissions"

jmorrow

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 190
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Seeking HLS Advice
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 01:56:42 PM »
I actually emailed both Yale and Harvard about Penn's 04/07 deadline for accepting the Levy.  Harvard wasn't nearly as helpful or understanding as Yale.  Here was their reply:

"We recognize that a number of our applicants are in situations like yours, and we are thus doing our best to process the hold applications in an expedient manner, but unfortunately we cannot make any guarantees about faster consideration. A note will be added to your file regarding your situation, and we hope that we can respond to you before your deadlines, but it is not possible for us to say for certain either way. Please let us know if you need anything else.

That's very helpful (to know, anyhow). Thanks.

I'm probably a part of that "number of applicants." I had sent a very brief explanation of my situation as a part of my "hold" letter last month basically asking them to do what they could without inconveniencing themselves or, presumably, rejecting me in haste.
Georgtown University Law Center/Public Policy Institute '10

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jmorrow

bass

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 2951
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking HLS Advice
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 02:07:46 PM »
I'm in a similar situation.  My gf has an offer at Tufts that she must accept by early April, but I have not heard yea or nay from H.

Here's where those idiots come in and yell at me for whining again.  I'm not whining - I'm commiserating.  Eat it.

jmorrow

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 190
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Seeking HLS Advice
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 02:15:42 PM »
I'm in a similar situation.  My gf has an offer at Tufts that she must accept by early April, but I have not heard yea or nay from H.

Here's where those idiots come in and yell at me for whining again.  I'm not whining - I'm commiserating.  Eat it.

Yeah, I definitely, definitely hear that. She and I went to college 1800 miles away from one another, so we've become quite sensitive to careful logistical planning. The only difference between our situations (bass's and mine), really, was that I thought you'd be in by New Years. We're not exactly numbers twins.

If I may, what's your backup plan if you haven't heard by her deadline?
Georgtown University Law Center/Public Policy Institute '10

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jmorrow

bass

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 2951
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking HLS Advice
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 02:58:32 PM »
I'm in a similar situation.  My gf has an offer at Tufts that she must accept by early April, but I have not heard yea or nay from H.

Here's where those idiots come in and yell at me for whining again.  I'm not whining - I'm commiserating.  Eat it.

Yeah, I definitely, definitely hear that. She and I went to college 1800 miles away from one another, so we've become quite sensitive to careful logistical planning. The only difference between our situations (bass's and mine), really, was that I thought you'd be in by New Years. We're not exactly numbers twins.

If I may, what's your backup plan if you haven't heard by her deadline?

1) Ask tufts for more time, maybe they'll listen.

After that... it's unclear.  She has 0 good options near Yale or NYU.  It's Boston or London, or nothing.  It might mean being a 2 hour drive away, but I'm not sure how she'd handle it.  And she won't just be my girlfriend for long (plans in the works... within a couple months), so going our separate ways won't work.

I trust her and myself enough to do the slightly long-distance thing.  Perhaps I'll go for a 1L summer in Boston.  But I'm not sure that she'd be happy at all, and she is considering saying no to Tufts and just getting a job near yale.  I don't know...

Honestly, the time isn't as big a deal for me as the result.  If I get in, even in mid-april, then I'll probably go.  If I don't get in, then we have major issues.