Law School Discussion

would i be insane to go to florida over t14s?

Re: would i be insane to go to florida over t14s?
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 08:07:35 AM »
I only applied to places in warm weather.  DC is a lil too far north, but I applied to a couple schools in the area.

Also, ppl who claim you wont get biglaw out of UF are crazy.  It's definately possible if youre in the top 15-20%, but thats the same deal with a lot of non-t14ish schools.  If youre more likely to get into this top % at UF than Emory or ND, then its not too foolish.  ND seems to place a lot better, but its also mostly in cold regions.  Emory is in a warm area, but picking it over a significantly cheaper option of UF isnt a given as you already know.  Its not going to make that much of a difference if you went to the #41 over the #26.  Sure, youre more likely to get the jobs in Atlanta, but its not that big of a difference elsewhere.  Ppl get too wrapped up in the rankings. Now watch Emory soar into the top 20.

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 08:59:13 AM »
If you want to practice in Florida, UF has an amazing rep in the state.  I've heard people refer to it as the "Harvard of the South" on multiple occasions.  Of course that is an obvious overstatement, but shows how much respect UF gets in the area. 

In reference to your current situation, it would not be crazy to choose UF over ND and Emory.  As Hype mentioned, ND has great placement, but it is mostly in cold regions.  Further, I don't see the point of going to Emory if you want to practice in Florida (unless Emory is the same cost or less).  If, on the other hand, you have your heart set on ATL, DC, NYC, etc, then Emory might be a better fit.   

Now, if you get into a T14, that could change things.  First, it depends upon what T14 you get into, your impression of the school, and your debt-aversion level.  All things being equal, it would be difficult to choose UF over a YHSCCN-type school, but not crazy.   

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 10:34:16 AM »
When in doubt, go with the school that is ranked higher.  You will be setting your self up for a future with more choices! 

gibros

• Irish Law '09
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 11:01:24 AM »
Nothing wrong with knowing where you want to live and work and going for it. If you know you want to live in Florida, I think you'd be better off going there then (for instance) ND. No matter how national some schools are, a state school like FL will do great there.

Also, scholarship money IS important. I have a feeling that several people with opinions on this site are still finishing up undergrad. The work force is a totally different ballgame. A wise judge who spoke with me about choosing a school told me to go to a school with a reasonable pricetag in the area you want to live so that you don't have to sell your soul.

UF is a well-respected school and you'll be fine if you end up there. good luck!

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 12:27:42 PM »
Here is 3 examples why you would be insane to go to UF over a top 14. If it isn't a top 14 then it might become a tougher decision.

I know 3 recent UF grads

1) Top 15% Around that area - 4 OCI no job offers
2) Top 1/3rd NO OCIs
3) Third friend was admitted into Columbia. Took cheap education at UF. Finished bottom half and was unemployed at graduation. Finally got a job a couple months after graduation making less than 50k.

Obviously this isn't a scientific represenative poll. But you can pretty much guarantee that you won't have to worry about finding a job or making less then 100k out of a top 14.
My friend regrets not going to Columbia everyday.

Florida is a great school but if you have the option of a top14, it would be very foolish to pass up imo.

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2006, 06:55:07 PM »
Obviously t14 is the better option, but as the OP mentioned, its ND and Emory as other options.  I agree Emory will do well in DC and ATL and all the places in between.