Law School Discussion

would i be insane to go to florida over t14s?

would i be insane to go to florida over t14s?
« on: March 16, 2006, 07:27:46 PM »
i'm into 4 much higher ranked schools than florida, waitlisted at 2 t14s and waiting on 4, but i love the weather, i love the state, and it's so cheap. would it be an awful, awful, awful idea? i'm guessing so, but who knows...

Re: would i be insane to go to florida over t14s?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 07:32:09 PM »
booooo. i knew this was the right answer though.

what about florida over 20-25 ranked schools?

Mr. Pink

• @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 07:34:48 PM »
t14 all the way, and why would you pick your safety over your reach schools, makes NO sense

sporky

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 07:55:05 PM »
but how do you know you won't absolutely adore, say, Atlanta? unless you're very well travelled and are absolutely positive that all goodness and light comes out of florida, why not give another state a try? it's only three years. and you might say at the end of three years, oh god, Wisconsin! how glorious! f*ck Florida! probably not, but why not try it out?

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 07:58:51 PM »
but how do you know you won't absolutely adore, say, Atlanta? unless you're very well travelled and are absolutely positive that all goodness and light comes out of florida, why not give another state a try? it's only three years. and you might say at the end of three years, oh god, Wisconsin! how glorious! f*ck Florida! probably not, but why not try it out?

i've been pretty much everywhere in the us, and the biggest thing for me is weather. i don't do very well in the cold. i could handle if for 3 years, but i'd rather not.

probably won't go to fl, but i just wanted to see what general opinions were.

sporky

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 08:02:39 PM »
what about emory? close to home, good weather

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 08:03:42 PM »
what about emory? close to home, good weather

haha i'm not even from florida. i like emory a lot though right now. i'm really just completely undecided about everything.

somniferum

• Papavar somniferum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 08:30:39 PM »
Well, it depends on what you want to do.

Personally, if you know for sure that you want to live in Florida indefinately and you have instate-tuition/substantial scholarship, I say go for it. Or at least think about it.  Its definately not insane.  There is a lot to be said for getting a quality legal education without indebting yourself to the tune of $100k+

Of course, if you are wanting to work biglaw in New York, DC, or  the West Coast, then yes, you would be insane :P

BigRig

• Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 08:44:17 PM »
Absolutely not insane unless you are certain of a particular track and one school offers a significant advantage.  UF is very well respected and as far as Big Law/Money in NYC (which I can tell you is highly overrated).. I know a UF alum who works at Skadden and one at Schulte, Roth; both are second year associates straight outta law school. As mentioned earlier, pick where your surroundings will be most comfortable for three years, make sure the programs you're interested in are well supported, and perform to the best of your ability. Debt sucks and if you're motivated, have a personality, and know how to network (which anyone who's had significant work experience should) you'll make your mark and money for that matter. I would listen to people who are older on this issue and take the straight-outta-undergrad, ranking-obsessive comments for what they are worth; inexperienced and uninformed.

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 08:48:32 PM »
thanks for all the help everybody! it's really appreciated.