Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Screw it...I'm going Tier 3...  (Read 749 times)

okayplayer

• View Profile
Screw it...I'm going Tier 3...
« on: March 16, 2006, 04:59:56 PM »
Break out the forks and stick them in...I'm done...I'm going to Akron (full $$$$).  I have a few acceptances from Tier 2's.  Missouri, where I got my undergrad, offered me no money...Louisville, where my dad went, again, no money...A 2/3rd's scholarship from Marquette, which makes it manageable, but I would still have more debt than I would want.  I'm still waiting on SMU (PT)...where it would be cheap to go, but I would have to live with my in-laws.  Oh well...Ohio in the house!!!!

ajstyles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Screw it...I'm going Tier 3...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 06:01:55 PM »
Congrats man! I hope I can say the same thing soon and be done with this thing.

Aerst2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 06:03:20 PM »
Good job, now you will never get a good job and you are screwed for life.

Just kidding, I think you made the right choice. I don't think the increased risk from extra debt is likely to be worth it in most cases. I don't know why it is so popular to take on tons of debt if you don't really have to.
165 / 3.94

BigRig

• Sr. Citizen
  • Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 06:33:07 PM »
Agreed, good decision.  I am leaning toward a similar decision myself.  While I love Villanova I don't believe I can justify the $100,000 in debt over a full scholarship at Toledo.  I mean, if it were T14 it might be a different story, but it's not.  There are only a set of jobs that will allow one to carry that type of debt and frankly, those are not for me.  I've watched my sister kill herself at a tier 1 lschool and take on a ton of debt which got her a $150,000 (w/bonus) job in NYC and she's getting nowhere except closer to insanity. The Midwest is a better place than most give it credit and if you're in the top of your class, blessed with any set of social skills, and make a good faith effort to network you'll find solid employment in most markets. All the while having freedom, flexibility, and arguably the ability to build wealth more quickly. Congrats!
Attending FSU.Go Noles!!!

kapstone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 06:38:26 PM »
Congrats...sounds like the best decision.  I was wondering when I would see the first okayplayer on this jawn....
Hopefully more Sam Seaborn than Richard Nixon....

ajstyles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 06:41:32 PM »
Agreed, good decision.  I am leaning toward a similar decision myself.  While I love Villanova I don't believe I can justify the $100,000 in debt over a full scholarship at Toledo.  I mean, if it were T14 it might be a different story, but it's not.  There are only a set of jobs that will allow one to carry that type of debt and frankly, those are not for me.  I've watched my sister kill herself at a tier 1 lschool and take on a ton of debt which got her a $150,000 (w/bonus) job in NYC and she's getting nowhere except closer to insanity. The Midwest is a better place than most give it credit and if you're in the top of your class, blessed with any set of social skills, and make a good faith effort to network you'll find solid employment in most markets. All the while having freedom, flexibility, and arguably the ability to build wealth more quickly. Congrats!

Hey, do you mind if I ask what your GPA/LSAT was? I applied to 'Nova as well and they are the only school I still need to hear from.  I have a 152/3.35 but it doesn't look like I'll be able to get in. 

Also, you sis who is now making the big bucks (while going insane)...can you tell me a bit about her? Where did she go to school and is it the time committment to her job that makes it as bad as it is?

BigRig

• Sr. Citizen
  • Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 07:55:15 PM »

Hey, do you mind if I ask what your GPA/LSAT was? I applied to 'Nova as well and they are the only school I still need to hear from.  I have a 152/3.35 but it doesn't look like I'll be able to get in. 

Higher LSAT (Nova accepts) = 161/3.21 LSDAS -- I am on law school numbers, same name.

Also, you sis who is now making the big bucks (while going insane)...can you tell me a bit about her? Where did she go to school and is it the time committment to her job that makes it as bad as it is?
[/quote]

She attended Tulane with 1/2 scholarship still had to borrow $60,000+ and had ~$20,000 from undergrad.  Honestly, I could go on and on explaining what makes her job so bad.  It's a confluence of factors really, but ultimately it boils down to too much stress, a lack of control, a workload that continues to grow no matter how hard you work, and nothing to tangibly show for it at the end of the day. The idea is to put in the hard years in hopes of making partner, which the percentage of associates making it to partner level is very low. I suppose there are some who might enjoy this environment and personalities that will survive better than others.  You never get positive feedback, never have time to take a personal call, never feel as though you are away from work even the few hours that you are (especially with the advent of the blackberry) and then you're faced with median-priced homes over $1,000,000 and a beautful, interesting city that you never have time to see.

It does look great on a resume, however, and she currently has a job offer with Alston & Bird in Atlanta and three interviews after having worked there for 2 years; the job certainly helped in this regard. I am not saying there aren't some positive developments that will spur from it just know what you're getting yourself into and know that those high-priced jobs right out of law school aren't necessarily the only path to an important, successful, and well-paid legal career.  Also, the longer you stay, the harder it is to leave. That is why she is leaving, she sees 30 somethings stuck, who will never make partner with little to show for their efforts.
Attending FSU.Go Noles!!!