Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Choices, choices....  (Read 891 times)

jujunyc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Choices, choices....
« on: March 16, 2006, 11:59:39 AM »
I'm still waiting on four schools but for my brain's sake, I'm not counting on them right now. However any one of them would change this picture a a great deal (particularly my first choice).

So these are my options:
Michigan
Northwestern
Georgetown
Fordham (10k/yr)
Cardozo (25k/yr)
I withdrew from everywhere else.

What would you do? I'm leaning toward Georgetown because I think I could be truly happy there and could picture myself going for gov't internships and being close to my family and friends (I grew up in MD burbs).

Michigan i have summer start, and I'm really not ready to go. My lease ends in august and my roommate is my good friend so I'd rather not screw her over with a subletter. More importantly, I don't want to live far from a major city and the prospect of a dismal winter *without* a major city depresses me. A lot. I've had a professor at another school tell me to consider whether I can stand to live in Ann Arbor for three years, and if I can, to seriously think about doing it. I really don't know that I can, but I know it's really a significantly better school.

Northwestern I'm going to see over their admits weekend, so I'm reserving judgement. I've never been to chicago and i want to really get a feel for the school. It's ranked higher than gtown, but does it really have a better rep? especially on the east coast?

then the scholarships. I haven't withdrawn because i really really really wanted to stay in ny. but can i sacrifice having a really high quality university around me for the money (I say university because that's really what those schools lack, the national rep doesn't bother me quite as much bc I would love to work in ny after school). plus, money. I'm doing this on my own and will have an insane amount of loans afterwards. i've pretty much accepted this idea...almost. It's just hard to cavalierly turn down 30k and 75k, respectively.

any thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

nmb238

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Choices, choices....
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 01:07:58 AM »
I have the same scholarship deals at Fordham and Cardozo, both great schools. I was especially impressd with Cardozo, everything they sent me, the admitted student reception at Weil Gotshal...

I think though, that the gap between both Cardozo and Fordham and the other schools on your list are too great- Northwestern, Gtown and UMich are incredible places, esp UMich where I am on the waitlist. THat would by my choice, NOT based on USNews but based on how happy and thrilled everyone there seems to be, and obviously the academics are impressive too.

but thats me- its a completely personal choice. no way for any of us to help you. but i can tell you that unless youre pressed for cash right now, i would NOT pass up a top 14 school for Fordham or Cardozo.

just my opinion

~N

NYU06
PennLaw09

RIP Admissions Cycle
11.22.05 - 5.22.06

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 05:03:54 PM »
Georgetown for sure. I am at Michigan and I agree its a very great school, but I still think being in DC is full of opportunities.
University of Connecticut '09

IN: Miami, Syracuse ($$)
WL: Penn State, Maryland, Case
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=chonralda

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 10:47:43 PM »
I'm still waiting on four schools but for my brain's sake, I'm not counting on them right now. However any one of them would change this picture a a great deal (particularly my first choice).

So these are my options:
Michigan
Northwestern
Georgetown
Fordham (10k/yr)
Cardozo (25k/yr)
I withdrew from everywhere else.

What would you do? I'm leaning toward Georgetown because I think I could be truly happy there and could picture myself going for gov't internships and being close to my family and friends (I grew up in MD burbs).

Michigan i have summer start, and I'm really not ready to go. My lease ends in august and my roommate is my good friend so I'd rather not screw her over with a subletter. More importantly, I don't want to live far from a major city and the prospect of a dismal winter *without* a major city depresses me. A lot. I've had a professor at another school tell me to consider whether I can stand to live in Ann Arbor for three years, and if I can, to seriously think about doing it. I really don't know that I can, but I know it's really a significantly better school.

Northwestern I'm going to see over their admits weekend, so I'm reserving judgement. I've never been to chicago and i want to really get a feel for the school. It's ranked higher than gtown, but does it really have a better rep? especially on the east coast?

then the scholarships. I haven't withdrawn because i really really really wanted to stay in ny. but can i sacrifice having a really high quality university around me for the money (I say university because that's really what those schools lack, the national rep doesn't bother me quite as much bc I would love to work in ny after school). plus, money. I'm doing this on my own and will have an insane amount of loans afterwards. i've pretty much accepted this idea...almost. It's just hard to cavalierly turn down 30k and 75k, respectively.

any thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

What an amazing choice to have to make. You really can't go wrong.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 11:45:16 PM »
Congrats on your admits. I don't have much to say except that my BF has a friend who is a 3L at Cardozo, and he has a great job lined up for after graduation. And I got the feeling that everyone he knows at Cardozo has a job lined up, too.

That said, if you ever want to teach law, go to the best school on the list.

Terabithia

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 12:29:39 AM »
It sounds to me as if GT is the best bet for you!!

Mich is awesome but the weather truly sucks, the town is small and you would have to start in summer.

jujunyc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 10:59:06 AM »
thanks all for the input! of course i didn't look at the board all weekend so I'm looking at the responses now.

Still not totally decided but I think after I visit NU and Michigan in a couple weeks, I'll make a final choice.

Also--it'd be great if the schools remaining would let me know one way or another. So many of us are in this position--so a plea. Let us know by april 1?

::sigh:: i know it's not going to happen, but worth a shot.

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 12:10:29 PM »
LOL
University of Connecticut '09

IN: Miami, Syracuse ($$)
WL: Penn State, Maryland, Case
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=chonralda

jujunyc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 02:33:56 PM »
Would you stuck-up coastal types get over the "Ann Arbor is a small town" syndrome? It's got 114,000 residents in the city. The presence of one of the top universities in the country ensures plenty of cultural and educational offerings. If you need gunshots and muggings, Detroit's not far.

/rant

You have a point especially about the cultural and educational offerings. Since I posted this I had a conversation with a partner  who's an alum there and he made the same point.  But at the end of three and a half years i was bored going to the same 15 places all the time in philly. and now going from 8 million people to 100k is a significant difference.

That said, I think it's the summer start thing that's bothering me more than anything else--the city stuff is more of an excuse since we'll all be studying so much anyway. Also, being far from my family is just a personal issue that bears a lot of weight for me.

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 02:35:59 PM »
if it was me i would go to GT
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..