Law School Discussion

Young Black Professionals website (Esp. for NYers, but everyone)

jnc18

• View Profile
Hey guys, a while back I decided to start up a group here in NYC called YBPA (Young Black Professionals Association). 

It basically came from the fact that I'd go to work all day surrounded by nobody that looked like me and then I'd walk down the street and see some and say, "man, I wonder how I can create some interaction."  And then I'd sit around with my best friends and we'd be talking and just thinking "How come it's so hard to just find other groups of educated young black people?"

So we started up this group and it's basically become an extended network of my friends and acquaintances that hangs out every now and then.  For a while I've been trying to set up a website and take it to the next level.  I want it to be a huge social network of intelligent young black people to interact with each other and find ways to be of service to the community.

Now with my imminent departure from the city, it's important to me that I get the ball rolling on this so that it becomes pretty much self-sustaining.

So what I've done is to create a website, a forum like this one.  And to cut to the point, if you have any interest in this, you should sign up.  And even more importantly, forward it along to everyone you know that would be interested.  And any suggestions for how to maximize the utility of the organization and website are desired.

www.ybpaonline.com

jnc18

• View Profile
Re: Young Black Professionals website.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 08:43:20 AM »
By the way, I wanted to add that it is not exclusive of any race. 

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 08:48:22 AM »
Tremendous idea.  I'm down.  Let me know how I can help.

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 08:51:21 AM »
I checked it out Jayscoot.  I'm not in the New York area but I signed up never the same.  Hope it takes off man.

jnc18

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 08:53:01 AM »
Tremendous idea.  I'm down.  Let me know how I can help.

Thanks man.  The first step is to sign up and forward it along and make sure anyone interested does the same.  Should be people you go to school with, work with, just happen to know, etc.

After a good number of people get in on it, the next step is to just create dialogue and take it from there.

And it not even important that they're in the NYC metro area.

D. Pro

• Everytime I do it, I do it for my hood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 09:04:20 AM »
A fellow USC alum has a similar network here in Los Angeles. We mostly see alumni from the larger schools in the area (USC, LMU, ucla, ETC.), though there are a lot more people who went to school out of town joining.In fact, one of the mixers is tonight... trust me, it's lovely to see young professionals of ebony hue after work... check it out http://www.typnetwork.com/ ...

jnc18

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 09:14:59 AM »
A fellow USC alum has a similar network here in Los Angeles. We mostly see alumni from the larger schools in the area (USC, LMU, ucla, ETC.), though there are a lot more people who went to school out of town joining.In fact, one of the mixers is tonight... trust me, it's lovely to see young professionals of ebony hue after work... check it out http://www.typnetwork.com/ ...

Wow, that's what's up.  That pretty much the idea I'm shooting for.  Wish I had a little more time (damn work).  Not to mention the professional web design resources.

intent06

• "All hail the Chief!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 09:45:52 AM »
Jay...i will definitely be signing up on this website.  Excellent idea!

TopGunna

• It's not easy being TTT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 09:50:43 AM »
That's what I'm talking about Jay.  I signed up as well, and look forward to being involed in some of the associations activities.  I'm in Market Research in NYC and I always see our people walking around, but we never talk.  And I'm outgoing, but I feel that many of the black professionals in this town feel like they are too good or skeptical to talk to any other people like us for fear that we fall into the "unpopular" category of a stereotypical black person.  Does anyone else see this or am I just paranoid?

crazy8

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 10:03:58 AM »
I'm in!  I've signed up and past it along!