Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Housing around UCLA  (Read 2344 times)

icf

• View Profile
Housing around UCLA
« on: March 16, 2006, 11:15:54 AM »
I'm thinking about attending UCLA this fall, and I'm looking for advice on housing.
I'm from NJ and my first time vising LA will be during the Welcome Reception 4/9, so right now I have no idea what i'm getting myself into. 

Is it difficult to get on-campus housing?  What towns do most students live in, and what are the best ways to find apartments? 

About how much should I expect to spend on rent (assuming I'm going to get my own place and would like to live in a relatively safe area)?  Also, I want to bring a car -- is it hard to find apartments that come with parking?

How do most people get to classes?  Bus?  Is public transportation reliable in the area?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give.

Mimimimi

• View Profile
Re: Housing around UCLA
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 11:24:11 AM »
You should try to get into Weyburn Terrace (campus grad housing), especially if you can get a studio.  It's a really great deal - $980, includes a parking spot, cable tv/internet, central heat/ac and all utilities.  The 2 bedrooms aren't bad either since each person gets their own bedroom and bathroom.  And there is a free shuttle that goes from the complex to the law school.

If that doesn't pan out, westsiderentals.com or craigslist are good resources.  There are tons of apartment buildings in Westwood, but they tend to be a bit pricey because demand in the area from undergrads is so high.  If you can live anywhere on the Big Blue Bus Line (that's the Santa Monica bus), it will make it a lot more convenient for you to get to class.  Although it's not hard to find an apartment with parking, it's sort of hard to get a UCLA campus parking pass.  So a lot of law students live in Santa Monica or Brentwood. 

Culver City or Palms are other nearby options that are a little less nice but more affordable.   

mdashwood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 01:36:43 PM »
I'm about 90% sure I'm headed to UCLA and am seriously considering Weyburn.  Does anyone know how soon I should apply to W in order to maximize my chances of getting in?

The obvious answer is 'right away,' but how long can I wait and still stand a good chance?

Also, is it near the fraternity row?  I knew someone who accidentally ended up near the frat houses where it was unbearably loud, and I can't seem to figure out if it was Weyburn.
In: UCLA!, Vandy, UCDavis, ND, I-UC, GM
Out: Boalt (Cal sucks! :P)
WL: UVA, Northwestern, Georgetown
Hurry Uuup!: Duke, NYU

themoose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 02:04:25 PM »
nope, weyburn terrace is very far from the frats. its actually across the street from a cemetary...so no noise i would hope..ha..

i'd apply now, I hear it's really hard to get housing since there's only 800 spots and it's not just for law students- it's the whole graduate community.

I live in Westwood on Gayley and I pay $560 a month, but I have 5 roommates!

icf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 04:32:18 PM »
they give you priority for weyburn the earlier you apply?  I've seen the UCLA Housing website and weyburn looks awesome (but i think you pay an extra 100 or 200-something a month if you want a parking space) but it seems like it would be hard to get a spot.  I was actually considering submitting my Statement of Intent to Register (even though I'm not sure if I'm going to UCLA), just so I could apply for housing.  I figured you don't have to pay a deposit anyway!

So culver city is nice/quiet/safe?  Why only nice if you get off the main streets?  what's wrong with the main streets?  (btw, thanks for the offer stephkay -- if you've got a hot brother, maybe i'll think about it  ;D)

Do you think I should even bother bringing a car?  I know it's ridiculously hard to get a parking permit (esp. if I live close to campus) but I figured i'd want to drive around LA and such.

What about thoughts on roommating with people you don't know, via craigslist or the ucla roommate finder?

Mimimimi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 06:36:03 PM »
they give you priority for weyburn the earlier you apply?  I've seen the UCLA Housing website and weyburn looks awesome (but i think you pay an extra 100 or 200-something a month if you want a parking space) but it seems like it would be hard to get a spot.  I was actually considering submitting my Statement of Intent to Register (even though I'm not sure if I'm going to UCLA), just so I could apply for housing.  I figured you don't have to pay a deposit anyway!

So culver city is nice/quiet/safe?  Why only nice if you get off the main streets?  what's wrong with the main streets?  (btw, thanks for the offer stephkay -- if you've got a hot brother, maybe i'll think about it  ;D)

Do you think I should even bother bringing a car?  I know it's ridiculously hard to get a parking permit (esp. if I live close to campus) but I figured i'd want to drive around LA and such.

What about thoughts on roommating with people you don't know, via craigslist or the ucla roommate finder?

Parking at Weyburn is $75/month I think.  If you get into Weyburn, no reason not to bring a car unless you want to save that money.  You can use your Weyburn permit to park other places on campus at night and on weekends, and to get to class you just take the shuttle.  Having a car in LA is generally a good idea, although if you lived right in Westwood you could get by without one.

doubleloseven

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 11:49:40 PM »
weyburn terrace is garbage, the construction company cut corners everywhere.  People have woken up to ceiling plaster falling on their faces.  The doors don't fit right so vermin get in.  There were also some electrical issues.  I'm not sure if they've fixed anything but if not, it's miserable. 

Here are some of the going rates for housing here:

Studio- 800-1100 month (all of these are on 1 year lease)
1 Bd/Ba- 1000-1400 month
2 Bd/Ba- 1750-2400 month

Mimimimi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 09:24:14 AM »
weyburn terrace is garbage, the construction company cut corners everywhere.  People have woken up to ceiling plaster falling on their faces.  The doors don't fit right so vermin get in.  There were also some electrical issues.  I'm not sure if they've fixed anything but if not, it's miserable. 

Here are some of the going rates for housing here:

Studio- 800-1100 month (all of these are on 1 year lease)
1 Bd/Ba- 1000-1400 month
2 Bd/Ba- 1750-2400 month

I moved into Weyburn this year and I actually haven't had any problems at all.  I heard stuff like this too before I moved in, but it seems like they have fixed the issues.

icf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 09:33:17 AM »
whoa, that's a little scary about weyburn. . . Mimimimi, do you know if it's real difficult to get a spot at weyburn?  how early did you apply and when were you notified?  do you have a studio or 2 bd?

icf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 10:09:51 AM »
Mimimimi, i was searching around the boards and saw that you had been fielding some q's about ucla, soooo, if you're not too busy. . .

scholarships/grants -- i read that you got yours late march?  when did you fill in the Need Access application?  need access is what determines your grants pretty much, right?  I read on one of the threads here that UCLA requires copies of mine/parents income taxes, resume, and a letter from my employer of my end date?  I know the copies of my income taxes is true, but do you know about the other two?  i haven't sent any of that stuff yet, will that delay my need access app, and therefore my grant info?

do i need to buy a new laptop?  I have a 4 year old one from undergrad, it still works but it's kinda heavy and relatively slow and the battery life is like 2 minutes.  does everyone bring their laptops to classes to take notes, and is it really important to get a fast, light one (if i have to bring it to class every day, i don't want to lug around a big one)?

socratic method?  scary?

ucla summer program?  did you do that or know anyone who did?  where did apps for that come from?  do they mail it to you?

ahhh, i think that's it for now (sorry it's so much).  thanks in advance!   ;D  ;D  ;D