Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L + 1P (First-year Parent) = 1 Crazy Year Ahead  (Read 1086 times)

FarmerMo

• happy tomato
    • View Profile
    • lsn
1L + 1P (First-year Parent) = 1 Crazy Year Ahead
« on: March 16, 2006, 02:41:45 AM »
Kids / New Family & Law School:  If this situation describes you, let's start a thread and discuss our situations, questions, stresses and our plans for success in 1L and 1P.  Plan #1:  Come to law school with me so we could have a daycare group (and nightcare for that matter).  Loyola-LA, Chapman-OC, U San Diego and Miami are top choices from my in-schools.  Looking forward to your comments.

ivyhopeful

Re: 1L + 1P (First-year Parent) = 1 Crazy Year Ahead
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 12:12:11 PM »
I have a ten month old. Still in undergrad (University of Miami). Applying for next cycle (Fall 2007).

Still studying for the LSAT and I think that is stressful enough with my little one!! By this time next year I'll be moving (with family) to go to law school so I can just imagine the stress you must be feeling!

jvan2619

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 03:20:06 PM »
Count me in the club!  We are moving, hubby's starting a new job, I'm starting law school, and our daughter will be 14 months when it all begins :)  Unfortunately, I'm not looking at any of the same schools :(  I'll be up in the frozen tundra of Minneapolis next year.

Ok, so I need some additional input from you parents out there...we are THINKING of having another right now.  Yes - we are insane.  Yes - we are glutten for punishment.  Yes - we are type A personalities.  BUT, I will be quiting my job next month and taking the summer off.  Last time around, my first four months was by far the hardest (although I do realize that every pregnancy is different).  Anyway, we are thinking of "trying" now which would mean that I would have time to relax during those months and the baby would be due over Christmas break...i.e. I'd have (hopefully) three weeks at home with him/her.  Thoughts????  Please, be nice :)

A little more info...we are stuck on having four children...this would be #2. 

Is there ever a "good" time?  I'm not so sure.

FarmerMo

• happy tomato
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 03:19:28 AM »
ivyhopeful:  how's Miami?  That's my hometown and one of my LS choices. Good luck with the LSAT; probably really good practice for you to be studying with the little one!  you'll be one step ahead of me, for sure. 

archival:  Texas!  I actually considered it at one point last year but my wife 86'd the idea right off.  (  Mind you, I had her read your post so I could get my totally worthless 'see, told you so' out and over with ;)  )  To your comments, I didn't even stop to think that childcare centers might have waitlists.  Not an issue here in Wyoming and I should've realized it might be otherwise. Thanks for tipping me off to that. I am totally with you on your concerns re: spousal sanity and critical parenting time.  My father was telling me a story about holding me in one hand with a huge medical textbook in the other while he studied for the MD boards.  He said my siblings and I, who were between 1 and 6 at the time, loved to study with him.  We all turned out reasonably well (always a debatable point :P) even despite him working a lot during our early years.  It definitely helped to have my mom around during early childhood, I've always considered that a blessing.    I was also always fascinated by my dad particularly regarding his busy work life, it made him seem very super-hero like (I equated the hospital with the Hall of Justice, for instance).  My point, yes these are critical times, but good parenting will come through regardless of your schedule - as long as we are around and attuned when it comes time to that.  Speaking of scheduling and attention, great point about getting into a rhythm so your family can count on you.  As far as grades are concerned, I for one have never been more focused at work since I found out about the baby, and I think it might translate to school.  Remember - you are a SuperHero, and SuperHeroes can do amazing things.  We've considered this to begin with, after all, so if it's not because we're capable it's because we're absolutely insane. For now, I'm going to opt for the former.  I'll let you know how I feel about that in May 2007.  ;)

FarmerMo

• happy tomato
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 03:47:51 AM »
jvan2619:  You rock.  Refer to my Super Hero comment to archival.  You've been pregnant before so you know better than anyone if you can handle that part of it while being in school.  Now, looking back to college, I remember plenty of stressful nights spent studying for a test or being on the first paragraph of a paper for 6 hours.  Eight years later, I treasure my sleep a lot more, so I know I'm going to have to get on a much tighter study schedule.  I think my newfound focus from the transition of a relatively carefree twentysomething to a new father and husband 30-year-old will help me do that.  You are already a mother and wife, so you've got the focus down.  Just make sure to get plenty of sleep and eat well if you do wind up expecting during first semester!!  It's great that you will also have the support of your husband during this. Are either of you going to be commuting very far in Minneapolis?  Regarding your plans to have 4, that's very exciting.  There is nothing I've found more fulfilling than the prospect of building a new family.   I lost my sister two years ago; today, St. Patty's, would have been her 35th birthday.  Since she passed, I've gotten married and am now bringing the first of the new generation in, and my older brother and his wife are right behind us, due in September.  The prospect of new life has done wonders for my family, and for me personally. 

jvan2619

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 03:51:28 PM »
jvan2619:  You rock.  Refer to my Super Hero comment to archival.  You've been pregnant before so you know better than anyone if you can handle that part of it while being in school.  Now, looking back to college, I remember plenty of stressful nights spent studying for a test or being on the first paragraph of a paper for 6 hours.  Eight years later, I treasure my sleep a lot more, so I know I'm going to have to get on a much tighter study schedule.  I think my newfound focus from the transition of a relatively carefree twentysomething to a new father and husband 30-year-old will help me do that.  You are already a mother and wife, so you've got the focus down.  Just make sure to get plenty of sleep and eat well if you do wind up expecting during first semester!!  It's great that you will also have the support of your husband during this. Are either of you going to be commuting very far in Minneapolis?  Regarding your plans to have 4, that's very exciting.  There is nothing I've found more fulfilling than the prospect of building a new family.   I lost my sister two years ago; today, St. Patty's, would have been her 35th birthday.  Since she passed, I've gotten married and am now bringing the first of the new generation in, and my older brother and his wife are right behind us, due in September.  The prospect of new life has done wonders for my family, and for me personally. 

Hey there farmermo!  I am certainly saddened to hear about your sister.  I am sure that St. Patty's Day was hard for you, and I wish you the best :)  I can relate a bit...lost my brother-in-law in a plane crash an hour before our daughter was born.  It definitely makes you put things in to perspective.  Family is the best thing in the world :)

To answer your question...We will be living in the Minneapolis burbs - about 30 minutes away from school which will be MUCH better than my commute now.  Yea!

Also, as you stated, good parenting (IMO) comes through regardless of if you are there all the time.  It's about quality I think.  Making the most of the time you do have together.  Being a working Mom right now, I can tell you that for me I am a better mother because I work.  When I am home...I am home and playing.  After I had our daughter I was home for six weeks and didn't feel like a great Mom because I was constantly trying to do laundry, clean, cook, wash bottles, etc.  Again, I think it is "quality" not "quantity" regarding the amount of time you are with your children. 

Best of luck everyone :)

the town drunk

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 04:20:19 PM »
Good luck.

ivyhopeful

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 01:38:09 AM »
FarmerMo:
Miami is warm. I'm sure you know that. ;)  the campus is absolutely beautiful. I'm not too sure about the law school, been to the law buildings a few times to get a feel for the students. There seems to be a lot of diversity. which is  good i suppose. i've never been to any other law campus, but i felt that some of the classrooms needed some renovating. I coule be just spoiled by the cushioned executive chairs that they have in the business building.

thanks for the encouragement.