Law School Discussion

'Nova taking forever, do I have a shot?

Re: 'Nova taking forever, do I have a shot?
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2006, 07:48:56 PM »
I am the resident Temple troll, so keep this in mind, but the general sense I've gotten is that Villanova's admissions office is (1) slow (2) arrogant (3) inefficient. A few people I know at Temple just got fed up and told Villanova to shove it.

I am going through this exact same nonsense.  I applied in early Nov. and am still waiting.  I have a 3.3/159, from a non-Ivy league school, so I'm not totally out of the running.  This is getting ridiculous though.  I've already been accepted into Temple and they need my deposit by April 15, so time is running out.  What a freakin mess.

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2006, 07:51:44 PM »
stateofbeasley, I was wondering what your impression of Temple is in terms of career prospects.  I know they used to have a great rep in Philly but are they still doing well, especially compared to Nova?

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2006, 08:25:44 PM »
I have called a few times.. the people at Villanova were very helpful. The people left in this thread, including me, are borderline so the long wait is common. It will be worth it if we get in.

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2006, 08:27:22 PM »
screaming, when you called them, were they at least able to give you some idea of when you would hear?

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2006, 08:38:30 PM »
I am the resident Temple troll, so keep this in mind, but the general sense I've gotten is that Villanova's admissions office is (1) slow (2) arrogant (3) inefficient. A few people I know at Temple just got fed up and told Villanova to shove it.

1. Not true at all, they got back to me and others very fast.  Nova has a very small class (250), so perhaps they are just getting the size right and waiting on some people to see if they can fit them in.  I think thats better than putting them on the waitlist and having them wait until August.

2.  Arrogant, I think that is absurd.  I, as well as many others on here, got a very warm feeling from the faculty and the school as a whole.  The Dean of Admissions at Nova is a wonderful man.  I did not see one once of arrogance from anyone.

3.  See number 1, boss.

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2006, 08:53:17 PM »
Yup. They said I should probably hear with in the next two weeks. I called last Friday afternoon so I think that I will hear soon either way. If I get in I'm totally there. If not, may take a year off.

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2006, 09:27:03 PM »
Well yeah I agree that a long wait now is better than a spot on the waiiting list...where I would then end up waiting till Aug.

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2006, 09:27:25 PM »
Temple is slightly bigger (330 or so) and Penn is around the same, but I've not heard many complaints about foot dragging when it came to those schools.

Arrogant is probably absurd, but I've heard too many stories about people getting the runnaround from the admin office people to not sense that something funny might have been going on. Possible that they've fired a couple idiots in the past few years. There was one office at Temple that I know was in bad shape at one point, resulting what I suspect were some "sideways" promotions to allow for new people :D

Again, it's hard to say. These are stories I get from Temple people, who having chose to attend Temple are I admit probably biased against 'Nova. But wouldn't you be angry if you got the runnaround from one school while the other one didn't give you the runnaround?

muhlryan - In terms of job prospects, I'd say that the schools are roughly equivalent. According to the Legal Intelligencer, Temple placed more people in Philadelphia Biglaw than either 'Nova or Rutgers, but that's only one slice of the market. My hunch is that when one considers corporate, judicial, and small/medium firms, it evens out.  

1. Not true at all, they got back to me and others very fast.  Nova has a very small class (250), so perhaps they are just getting the size right and waiting on some people to see if they can fit them in.  I think thats better than putting them on the waitlist and having them wait until August.

2.  Arrogant, I think that is absurd.  I, as well as many others on here, got a very warm feeling from the faculty and the school as a whole.  The Dean of Admissions at Nova is a wonderful man.  I did not see one once of arrogance from anyone.

3.  See number 1, boss.

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2006, 09:31:41 PM »
I am going through this exact same nonsense.  I applied in early Nov. and am still waiting.  I have a 3.3/159, from a non-Ivy league school, so I'm not totally out of the running.  This is getting ridiculous though.  I've already been accepted into Temple and they need my deposit by April 15, so time is running out.  What a freakin mess.

You have better #s then me...I think you are one of those that will def. get in.  I would have killed for a 159 on the LSAT. 

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2006, 09:10:41 AM »
I emailed the dean of admission last night and I got a reply today.  He said that my file is complete (it should be since I sent it to them in Nov) and that I should expect a decision by the middle of next week.