Law School Discussion

'Nova taking forever, do I have a shot?

law123

• View Profile
Re: 'Nova taking forever, do I have a shot?
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2006, 09:02:26 AM »
I have lived 5 mins from Nova my entire life and would love to get in there (my dad and uncle went there for both undergrad and law school) does anyone think I have any shot at getting in?  My numbers are 3.57/154 (PSU undergrad) non-URM.  I applied in early November.  Should I call them?  I noticed on LSN some guy got in there with identical #'s as me and he is also not a URM.

BigRig

• Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2006, 09:11:37 AM »
The legacy should boost your lsat by a couple points for all intensive purposes.  It will still be a close call, however.  I would mtake your case as best you can either through a letter or interview (if they'll grant it which I would bet they will considering legacy). Explain your roots and exactly why Villanova is your dream school.  Also, make sure to demonstrate why you'll be an asset as a student and alumni for their institution.

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2006, 09:22:18 AM »
I'm still waiting on a response from the assistant dean of admisions regarding scholarship monies. 

I don't think you will hear from them about scholarship for a few weeks.  They said they will be sending out another round, but from talking to Dean James it doesn't seem like they will be sending them out until after April 1. 

From what I gather is that scholarships are for people with good numbers but also for people who interested in going there and specificallly ask for them.  I wrote a letter saying I really wanted to go to Nova but I had a pretty big scholarship offer from Seton Hall.  A few weeks later I got a scholarship within the first round.  My  numbers aren't great but I think they are solid for Nova (ie my gpa).  I also kept my part of the bargain, they offered me the scholarship and I visited and then sent in my deposit.  I am hoping that they may even give me more money, maybe I am on some sort of priority list or something.  Either way I am very thankful for the first scholarship and pumped about going there in the fall...

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2006, 12:29:51 PM »
I'm still waiting on a response from the assistant dean of admisions regarding scholarship monies. 

I don't think you will hear from them about scholarship for a few weeks.  They said they will be sending out another round, but from talking to Dean James it doesn't seem like they will be sending them out until after April 1. 

From what I gather is that scholarships are for people with good numbers but also for people who interested in going there and specificallly ask for them.  I wrote a letter saying I really wanted to go to Nova but I had a pretty big scholarship offer from Seton Hall.  A few weeks later I got a scholarship within the first round.  My  numbers aren't great but I think they are solid for Nova (ie my gpa).  I also kept my part of the bargain, they offered me the scholarship and I visited and then sent in my deposit.  I am hoping that they may even give me more money, maybe I am on some sort of priority list or something.  Either way I am very thankful for the first scholarship and pumped about going there in the fall...

My letter to Dean Palozzi said that I wanted to go to Villanova, and my preference is to stay near where I live now (which is near the school), however I am concerned about the cost and anything they could offer would make the decision a lot easier.  I didn't want to beg for money or be demanding, but I wanted to see what he had to say.  I just turned in my financial aid application (dropped it in the mail on Sunday), so hopefully they see I'm serious about attending.  I will be sending in my seat deposit, perhaps that will show that I'm more serious?  If I do that, I'll send another email saying I'm still considering Pitt (which I am) based purely on cost and that I would finalize my decision for Villanova a lot sooner if I was offered any money.

At this point does it make a better case for me to just send in the first seat deposit -- to show them I'm seriously considering it?  Or when they see that do they assume you're going and then they know they have you by the balls (so to speak).

Also, I thought Dean James was really cool.  I talked to him for about 10 minutes over lunch.

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2006, 09:34:24 PM »
I emailed Dean Pallozzi and also sent him a letter last week.  Never heard anything and still no word on whether I'm in or not.  Do you think it would be worth it to send him another letter...stating how much I would love to be a student at 'Nova law and what I can bring to their academic community...AND...tell him about the full scholarship I got from Albany?

Since Albany isn't even ranked in the top 100 anymore I don't know if that will really mean anything to them.  And in my last letter and email I already stated my case...why I want to go there, what I would bring, unique personal charactertistics blah blah blah you know the deal. 

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2006, 07:49:11 AM »
I don't think it could hurt.  It's a law school, and the probably would respect dogged persistence.  That's a good trait for a lawyer.

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2006, 05:36:40 PM »
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD VILLANAOVA WILL YOU PLEASE JUST REJECT ME ALREADY SO I CAN STOP WAITING FOR THE MAIL EVERYDAY!!! IT'S APRIL! I DON'T WANT TO PLAY THE WAITING GAME ANYMORE!!!! AHHHH!!!!

There...I vented. 

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2006, 06:31:49 PM »
I am going through this exact same nonsense.  I applied in early Nov. and am still waiting.  I have a 3.3/159, from a non-Ivy league school, so I'm not totally out of the running.  This is getting ridiculous though.  I've already been accepted into Temple and they need my deposit by April 15, so time is running out.  What a freakin mess.

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2006, 06:40:30 PM »
I have similar numbers and was told I would hear in the next two weeks.

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »
Don't worry guys, I still think you have a great shot...They are probably just seeing who has withdrawn and who will be attending, things like that.  I would take not hearing as being better than a waitlist.

As for your Temple deposit, if you do not hear from Nova by then you can just send in the Temple deposit, it is not binding or anything, so you could easily just end up at Nova if you eventually get in.  So don't worry.