Law School Discussion

'Nova taking forever, do I have a shot?

matts720

• Let's Go Nova!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matts072083
    • View Profile
    • MySpace profile
    • Email
Re: 'Nova taking forever, do I have a shot?
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 09:40:30 PM »
Has anyone actually been able to talk to the Dean? Like I said I emailed him but haven't heard back.  Does he seem generous? I've talked to the deans at both Syracuse and UB and they were great.  Hope he is too.  I really freakin need to get into 'Nova. 

Does anyone know anything about the actual city (Kevdog)? And isn't it really close to Philly?

The Main Line is quite nice, about 20-25 mins outside Philly. Quite pricey though for living expenses.

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 09:48:09 PM »
Has anyone actually been able to talk to the Dean? Like I said I emailed him but haven't heard back.  Does he seem generous? I've talked to the deans at both Syracuse and UB and they were great.  Hope he is too.  I really freakin need to get into 'Nova. 

Does anyone know anything about the actual city (Kevdog)? And isn't it really close to Philly?

The Main Line is quite nice, about 20-25 mins outside Philly. Quite pricey though for living expenses.

Really? But not like NYC prices right? Is there a lot of crime? I'm assuming the weather is typical northeast weather?

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 09:49:32 PM »
I've read on this board a few times that Temple/'Nova grads do great in Penn because most of them stay in state while Penn State grads tend to leave...so they (Temple/'Nova grads) tend to get good jobs in the state...seems accurate?

matts720

• Let's Go Nova!!!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 09:50:34 PM »

Really? But not like NYC prices right? Is there a lot of crime? I'm assuming the weather is typical northeast weather?

Nah not much crime at all there, I would venture a guess that you may pay anywhere from $900 to $1100 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment in Bryn Mawr, but if you look into Conshohocken, Manayunk or King of Prussia you can definitely find cheaper places, with it being at most a 20 minute drive from the campus.

matts720

• Let's Go Nova!!!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2006, 09:51:39 PM »
I've read on this board a few times that Temple/'Nova grads do great in Penn because most of them stay in state while Penn State grads tend to leave...so they (Temple/'Nova grads) tend to get good jobs in the state...seems accurate?

Penn grads seem to head to NYC after graduation, so most Nova/Temple grads are able to get the nice jobs in Philly.

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2006, 11:22:49 PM »
I'm a URM who heard back from Villanova with an acceptance a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if my my minority status was integral to my acceptance - A few white students earned admission with similar (if not identical) numbers around the same time. It probably didn't hurt, but I also believe (or am at least deluding myself) that I had some other strong soft factors, which helped me earn admission -see my LSN profile.

Villanova did wave my application fee and included a hand signed note encouraging me to apply - Not that those actually mean anything. UIB and Baylor did the same thing and dinged me - I didn't even have a shot at Baylor! Even UPenn sent me a waiver, but I wasn't going to waste my 12 bucks to help out their acceptance rate.

I sent my application in Decemeber with no intention of attending (at the time). Unlike most of my other apps, I really didn't put any effort into the process, so that's encouraging. Also of note, I believe they mentioned that they would only notify prospective students (when one's app is complete) if you sent them a SAS post card with your app or cert statement.

I've heard it's a great school in a great area outside of Philly, so I'm actually considering it. I'm going to their accepted students day this weekend.

BTW, my numbers are 157/3.41 from a non-Ivy.

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2006, 07:53:42 AM »

Crime is not a factor -- the area is exceptionally well policed.  I'm talking like 5 cops showing up to an accident, let alone an actual crime.  The area can best be described as idyllic.  The streets are tree-lined, the houses are huge, made of stone, and house all the bankers, doctors, and lawyers from Philly, or at least a good bit of them.  It is decidedly 'old money' though there has been an influx of younger successful couples.  Villanova University is the crown jewel, sort of, of an extensive system of universities situated on Route 30, or Lancaster Avenue.  Those schools include Haverford College, Eastern University, Cabrini College, Immaculata University, and Bryn Mawr University.  In addition to this, there are countless private schools for children aged K-12, most of them probably with nicer campuses than your college :)

About a mile from the Nova campus, for example, is a Ferrari dealership.  Hopefully this is putting the area into perspective.

On a good day, the area is 20 minutes from Philadelphia, or in the middle of the night.  In rush hour, it can be an hour.  There is a train stop about 20 yards from the law school on the R5 regional rail line.  It would take about 35-40 minutes to get to Center City on that line, and it runs about once an hour, or twice, perhaps.

The main line is mainly made up of Lower Merion Township, a township that contains a number of separate 'towns' that do not have their own actual township/borough status.  These include Belmont Hills, Gladwyne, Narberth, Bala Cynwyd, Haverford, Ardmore, Rosemont, and Bryn Mawr.  The town closest to Villanova is Rosemont/Bryn Mawr.  This is about a 1 mile stretch of Lancaster Avenue with quaint shops, a starbucks, fresh fields/whole foods, a number of pubs, a borders, a barnes & noble, that sort of thing.

Housing is expensive.  It is on par with Center City prices.  that means a 1BR can be stolen for $700-750, but realistically, it's more $750+ and can go well over $1,000.00 depending on location/building.  It's not NYC prices.

Nearby are the non-mainline towns of Conshohocken and West Conshohocken.  Also nearby are neighborhoods inside Philadelphia's limits -- Manayunk, Roxborough, East Falls, Mt. Airy, and Chestnut Hill.  Rent is not bad in these areas, and they all have varying degrees of urban-ness.  It is very possible to live here, pop onto the back-roads of Lower Merion township, and be to Villanova in 25 minutes in nearly any traffic situation.

To the West of the University is Wayne, which is a bit more suburban, but no less Main-Line.  It has a few good bars, and some coffee places.

If you have any questions, feel free to fire away.  I live here.  Villanova is my hood.  I'd very much like to go there, but it's so expensive and I'm having a hard time weighing the decision vs. Pitt which is so much cheaper.

If you can't tell, also, I do love this area.  It's pretty, it's safe, it's clean, and it looks like it is out of a movie set.  But it is also a bit insulated from the urban area next to it.  It's almost as though it is a complete rejection of the realities of West and North Philly.  I would hope if I went to Nova that I'd be able to do something in those communities eventually.

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2006, 08:12:33 AM »
I've been waiting forever for them.. They were one of the first applications I sent out in November and when I called last week to see what was up they said my application hadn't been reviewed yet. My numbers are probably boderline 3.5/159 but I'd still like to hear before I have to decide on other stuff.

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2006, 07:27:34 PM »
Weekend is here...still no word and still no reply from the Dean...great just great.

matts720

• Let's Go Nova!!!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2006, 06:00:12 PM »
Checking LSN, someone with a 3.5/157 got an admittance today, so it seems that they are making decisions now on the high 150s LSAT cases.