Law School Discussion

'Nova taking forever, do I have a shot?

'Nova taking forever, do I have a shot?
« on: March 15, 2006, 10:10:08 PM »
Please pleae please tell me if you think I have a shot @ 'Nova

152/3.35 from an Ivy League school...also an URM

Re: 'Nova taking forever, do I have a shot?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 10:19:52 PM »
yup I definitely think you have a shot, and if you look at LSN it looks like they've been sending out a bunch of acceptances this past week.  Assuming you applied decently early, I think you stand a good chance of hearing soon.  Good luck!

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 10:29:49 PM »
Ya, I agree that you have a decent shot.  I think it depends on if you have anything extra within your app.  I think the URM status should definately help you since Nova is kind of known for having a lot of white people and they probably want a more diverse student body (I think its about 80% white).

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 10:48:54 PM »
I don't know what a URM is

URM=Under represented minority  ie. black hispanic etc. etc.
To most schools this makes a world of a difference...the equivalency of the addition of several LSAT points.  So even though he/she is below the 25%, the URM should be a boast giving them a shot.  The fact that Nova hasn't acted on the application maybe means that they are viewing this application as being borderline (since they have acted on a lot of applications so far).  Given that, the numbers do seem a little low even for a URM but they are certainly not an auto-reject.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 10:50:11 PM »
yup I definitely think you have a shot, and if you look at LSN it looks like they've been sending out a bunch of acceptances this past week.  Assuming you applied decently early, I think you stand a good chance of hearing soon.  Good luck!

I applied back in November

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 10:51:30 PM »
I do appreciate the honesty...if I get in I'm going, it's just that simple...God I hope to get in

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 10:53:00 PM »
Please pleae please tell me if you think I have a shot @ 'Nova

152/3.35 from an Ivy League school...also an URM

Which school?  Some are known for grade inflation; others presumably aren't.  But either way, the fact that you went to an ivy league college isn't terribly relevant: that's more of a tiebreaker sort of deal most of the time; it shouldn't offset your low GPA.

You're down close to their 25th percentile GPA mark and well below their 25th percentile LSAT number.  I don't know what a URM is or how much of a positive difference that might make, and while you haven't been accepted yet, you haven't been rejected either, so that's not a terrible sign I guess... but I'm not hugely optimistic about your chances.

I always thought going to an Ivy League school would help me out...I guess you're right...with a borderline GPA it probably doesn't make a diff.

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 11:39:41 PM »
Good luck, I hope you get it too.  Yours is definitely one of those cases that's hard to predict.

Thanks!!!

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 04:44:23 PM »
I emailed the Dean of Admissions today to see what is up with my app.  Haven't gotten a reply yet. 

I emailed him directly because, to be frank, I'm getting sick of calling the office of admissions and being told "your file is complete and pending review." That means nothing to me at this stage, so late in the cycle.  I want specifics.  I mailed my app back in November so yeah, they've already reviwed it (maybe a few times by now)...I just wanna know if I got in or not...plain and simple.

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 04:48:01 PM »
I emailed the Dean of Admissions today to see what is up with my app.  Haven't gotten a reply yet. 

I emailed him directly because, to be frank, I'm getting sick of calling the office of admissions and being told "your file is complete and pending review." That means nothing to me at this stage, so late in the cycle.  I want specifics.  I mailed my app back in November so yeah, they've already reviwed it (maybe a few times by now)...I just wanna know if I got in or not...plain and simple.

I emailed them yesterday about something.  No response.  It's been two business days, as well -- I emailed before 9:00 AM.  I'm sort of of the opinion that they should be more on the ball.  I recognize that this is their busy season -- but if you can't perform up to par right now, I mean, that's just not right -- people are trying to make big decisions here.