Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class Visits?  (Read 488 times)

gertrude

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Class Visits?
« on: March 15, 2006, 11:30:33 PM »
I'm visiting UVA this coming weekend and will sit in on a class next Monday, since I couldn't make either of the admit weekends. Is there any protocol for the class visits, ie should I alert the prof to my presence, sit in the back, sit in the front, etc? I'm pretty sure it's a big 1L class. I emailed the school and they just told me to show up- not too informative...

john83

Re: Class Visits?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 01:19:27 AM »
I'm visiting UVA this coming weekend and will sit in on a class next Monday, since I couldn't make either of the admit weekends. Is there any protocol for the class visits, ie should I alert the prof to my presence, sit in the back, sit in the front, etc? I'm pretty sure it's a big 1L class. I emailed the school and they just told me to show up- not too informative...

that's kinda what hastings did to me. the admissions guy gave me a sticky note with a room number. uh, thanks.

as i have done in my previous two class visits, i arrived a bit early, told the professor i was visiting and asked if i should sit anywhere specific, and thanked him/her for allowing me to sit in on his/her class. after class i again thanked the professor before leaving. at OU the prof had me sit in a specific location. at hastings he just said "sit where no one else is sitting." um, okay. so i sat in the back. made it easier to observe the other students.

saradylan3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Class Visits?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 12:46:25 PM »
I just sat in on a class at UCDavis. They had a 1L waiting for me when I arrived who walked me to class, showed me where to sit, and walked me out after class. Maybe thats what they have in store for you? If not, I would do exactly what the others have suggested: arrive early, introduce yourself to the Professor, ask where to sit, perhaps introduce yourself to the people you're sitting by (chances are they will be very helpful and can answer any questions about the school you may have), and enjoy!