Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What was your GPA in college and what major were/are you?  (Read 2634 times)

tsteadman

Re: What was your GPA in college and what major were/are you?
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 05:07:34 PM »
You should still be able to recover...

My GPA is 2.87 and I got into several schools in the range of what your looking at.  My LSAT (161) was okay, but not fantastic.  The thing that saved me was that I have done extremely well over my last two and a half years of school.

I think if you explain to schools what was going on that caused your grades to slip and you do well over your last few semesters you should be able to get into some law schools.

bennybm

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 05:12:12 PM »
2.4 - and I have gotten in a few schools (no tier 1, though)
In - GSU, UGA
Out - UF
Withdrawn - Memphis, Kentucky, South Carolina, Mercer, Samford, FSU

redemption

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 05:26:35 PM »
In answer to the question, I suggest clicking on my LSN.

Also, 3.99 in philosophy.

Also, click on my LSN.

Whore.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 06:13:00 PM »

Also, click on my LSN.

Whore.

I'm almost in the top 10, which would make me eligible to compete for the LSN scholarship.

squirt10

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2006, 02:11:01 AM »
Accounting, 2.8  :-[

prolesurge

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2006, 02:19:23 AM »
3.6 LSAC (3.8 Degree) with Political Science and History
UC Berkeley

I'm hoping to get in at Duke for their JD/ Political Science MA program. Do you think I can make it with an LSAT in the mid 160s?

Solidgun

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2006, 02:35:27 AM »
Well, the issue I had was that I had cancer and I had to stay full time student to keep my health insurance the way it was and that meant I had to take hit on some of the classes I was taking and drop as much as I can. It wasn't something I could avoid and some of the instructors were lenient enough to let me get through, but some really couldn't.
I am over my cancer now and don't expect it to come back anytime soon.

But I don't want to use that as an excuse and will not mention anything regarding that in any of the application because I know people have had it harder than me to get into some schools or anything in life. I want to make it back and I want to do it because of who/what I am, not out of sympathy.

I really appreciate what you are all saying and I would like to hear more personal issues. Thx.

squirt10

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2006, 02:42:32 AM »
Well, the issue I had was that I had cancer and I had to stay full time student to keep my health insurance the way it was and that meant I had to take hit on some of the classes I was taking and drop as much as I can. It wasn't something I could avoid and some of the instructors were lenient enough to let me get through, but some really couldn't.
I am over my cancer now and don't expect it to come back anytime soon.

But I don't want to use that as an excuse and will not mention anything regarding that in any of the application because I know people have had it harder than me to get into some schools or anything in life. I want to make it back and I want to do it because of who/what I am, not out of sympathy.

I really appreciate what you are all saying and I would like to hear more personal issues. Thx.

You should definitely refer to this in your personal statement or an addendum.  It doesn't have to come across as an "excuse," not that it shouldn't necessarily, because it's about as valid an excuse as you could possibly have.  I think overcoming that kind of adversity and balancing it with school is something admissions committees would view very favorably.  And you might even relate your health insurance issues to why you're interested in studying the law.  I'm not so sure about that, though, because it might be dishonest and it might be a tenuous link to law.  I'm glad you've recovered.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2006, 10:32:58 AM »

Also, click on my LSN.

Whore.

i second. 

political science, 3.4.  :-[

How could you know that I'm a whore without all of the available information?

For more information, consult my LSN.

Solidgun

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2006, 12:17:54 PM »
I am not going to specifically mention cancer as the cause of my grades falling, but I will issue that as "health problems" only. I don't want something that tried to kill me to get me into law school and I don't want the sympathy vote, but want to find out if I can tackle another obstacle in life on my own.