Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much will I be spending on books...  (Read 1302 times)

vinylisbetter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How much will I be spending on books...
« on: March 15, 2006, 07:40:54 PM »
... my first year?  Any estimates?  Also, any other law school costs I'm not thinking about?  Right now, I'm considering tuition, health coverage, activity fee, and books.  Of course, there will be the bills, rent, and gas, but that's more on the personal side of things.  Anyone wanna lay this all out for me? 

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
Re: How much will I be spending on books...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 12:56:39 PM »
$1000 per semester!!! that's like twice the retail price of a book-heavy UG semester. do you mean year? There has to be huge savings from ebay/textbookx sales.

Hobert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rossi! Rossi! Rossi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 01:30:00 PM »
DUKE calculates a little over $1,000 per year for "Books and Supplies."

For your reference:
http://www.law.duke.edu/admis/financial.html
Super Bowl Champs (Attending): DUKE
TD: Michigan, Northwestern, UNC, Notre Dame, Texas, Vandy, WUSTL
Intentional Grounding(Withdrew): Baylor, Case, Cincy, Emory, Florida, Indiana
INT: None
4th and Goal: Penn, UVA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Hobert

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 01:35:57 PM »
I spent about $800 by first semester, maybe $50 my second semester, so that avg. 425.  First semester is so much more expernsive becasue we had to buy all the books for a two year legal writing class (that was probably 350 by itself), but I don't have to buy any more books for that class for the other 3 semesters I have it.  Always Contracts and Property are year long courses, so I didn't buy anything for them second semester also cause I bought it all first semester.  Also second semsmster My Con Law book only cost 40$ and I bought my Criminal Law book used offline for ten bucks.  At most schools first semester costs a lot more than second semester cause usually legal writing in a two year course and you buy all the books for it at once and usually you have at least one class thats two semesters long, where you buy the books all at onece.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 01:40:04 PM »
$1000 per semester!!! that's like twice the retail price of a book-heavy UG semester. do you mean year? There has to be huge savings from ebay/textbookx sales.

No.  I mean per semester.  Law books are big, heavy, and expensive.  I was at Tulane this fall (yeah, that worked out... stupid weather) and spent I believe a little over $1,000.  Emory allots $2,238 in their 2005-06 cost of attendance budget--that works out to be $1,119 per semester (that's just an estimate, of course).

http://www.emory.edu/FINANCIAL_AID/graduate_professional/law/cost-of-attendance.php

Can you get the correct casebooks on eBay and save yourself some money?  I guess you could, although it will be tough because you'll likely get your schedule (which will tell you which specific books you need) in orientation a few days before classes start, and you'll have cases to brief for your first class meetings (yes, unlike in undergrad, the homework starts before the first day of class).

my school posts first day readings a month ahead of time.  Plus usually you can take out a casebook from your school library for a few hours at a time, thats what I did when I ordered my crim law book online and it didnt come till the second week of school.  Plus Professors take it pretty easy on newbies, if you said I haven't bought the book on the first day of class, in my experience, they will understand,  That obviously would not work if you tried it the fourth week of class though.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

pitt8093

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 02:57:57 AM »
I'm a 1L at Pitt Law.  I think that if books are $1000 per semester, then it's for lack of planning on a student's part.

My first semester I had to buy books for torts, criminal law, civil procedure, legal writing, and contracts... so let's see... Not every book you can get online, but I managed to get a few of them.  If you go to directtextbooks.com, you can get prices from a bunch of used sellers (e.g., half.com, amazon.com).  And so I paid about $35 or so (after shipping) per book for a few books.  Then I bought a couple of them new.  And there were a couple coursepacks to buy.  I bought a legal dictionary, but then didn't end up using it once I realized that I had free access to Black's on Westlaw (which is nicer because you carry your computer everywhere anyhow and I'm not a big fan of lugging around a dictionary).  And then I did buy some supplements and a hornbook.  But the library (at least at Pitt's law school) has a collection of those, so it's not really necessary.  So, realistically I think I spent not too much more than four hundred bucks for my textbooks and supplements.   

Health insurance (at Pitt) cost me about $1000 for the year. 

My rent payment isn't bad b/c I share an apartment, and I don't have a gas bill  ;)