Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Alabama  (Read 2498 times)

tcs5384

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
University of Alabama
« on: March 14, 2006, 09:58:49 PM »
I visited Alabama today and LOVED it!!!  I'm definitely going there.  I was early for the lunch/tour, so I chatted with Claude Reeves (Dean of Admissions) for about 45 minutes before my student tour guide showed up.  I had all sorts of questions, some concerning salary (Alabama's average starting salary is deflated because of the number of students taking clerkships, plus the low cost of living in Alabama where most of them take jobs, plus the low amount of debt that most of them have upon graduation), some concerning football.  Then I went to lunch with a couple of 3L's (paid for the law school of course) and got some more of my questions answered, went on a tour of the law school, sat in on a class (really interesting... I couldn't tell if the students just weren't into it or if they were just waiting for the professor to call on them, which he did pretty often.)  Then I chatted with another dean for half an hour.  All in all, I had a really good time, found out a lot about the law school and made my decision about during the middle of lunch.

The law building, I guess leaves something to be desired, but it was up to par and was at least comparable to all the other ones I've seen.  There's a new add-on being built with some new courtrooms as well; it's adequate for a building that was built in 1978.  Parking is not a problem since the law school is adjacent to the basketball and baseball stadiums; the law school shares the parking lot with them.  I guess that could be a problem on nights when there's a basketball game, but since those don't normally start until around 7 PM I doubt that would ever be a huge problem.

The university as a whole was much better than I expected, and Tuscaloosa is easy to fall in love with.  It's a classic Southern college town, with the university's main campus situated next to a pretty cool shopping area (the Strip) with restaurants, etc. for students.  Oh yeah, and there's that really big football stadium that's home to what's usually a pretty darn good football team.

The students I met were all cheerful and seemed happy to be there.  That was different from Vanderbilt, where I caught a certain inferiority complex from many of the students (who immediately asked where else I had been accepted, as though they just knew that Michigan was better than Vanderbilt.)  Essentially, it seemed like Alabama was the first choice for many of its students, and they wouldn't want to be anywhere else; the Vanderbilt students seemed like they wanted to go t14 and couldn't get in, and Vanderbilt was no better than their third choice.  Maybe it was just the weather; it was 65 degrees and sunny in mid-March.  The admissions staff was also very upbeat, and they made the experience even more enjoyable.

While it's possible that I was just getting "star treatment" from everywhere around the school (after all, according to my numbers Alabama ought to be a safety for me) overall I had a great time there, and I'll definitely be going there in the fall.  All I wanna know is... who's coming with me?  (So far I'm the only person on LSN who's attending Alabama.)

john83

Re: University of Alabama
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 10:15:50 PM »
thanks for the review. did you tell claude i said hi? lol.

when i applied to alabama, it was more a passing thought than an actual possibility. sounds like it was somewhat the same for you. i'm glad to hear your visit was that good. i'm looking forward to my visit, only that it's 3 weeks away...

what class did you sit in on?

i might join you in the fall. but there are a million things that stand in the way of me actually attending. but i'm glad to hear that the visit was good enough to sway you from all the schools you got in to.

tcs5384

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 10:26:13 PM »
I sat in on Contracts II.  Maybe it was the subject matter, I don't know.  But yeah... I had only given it a passing thought when I applied but after talking to some people and visiting (big key) I definitely want to go there.  Part of it also is that my only other option for staying in this part of the country would be to pay $35K a year to go to Vandy (they still haven't sent me any scholarship info; I'm tired of waiting on them...)

AceJackSuited

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 10:27:02 PM »
I been accepted and I've probably had the worst numbers of all that has been accepted. So they would not negotiate scholarship money with me. Most likely I will be coming there.

How was the diversity of the class and the diversity of the school as a whole? Have you all started looking at apartments?

tcs5384

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 10:52:37 PM »
I wasn't really paying much attention to diversity, to be honest.  It isn't that high on my list of factors...

I haven't really started looking at apartments, considering that I just decided today and I won't be moving there until late June at the earliest.  The Kappa Sigs there said I could get a meal plan at their house for lunch and dinner, which is pretty awesome if you ask me.

KimS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 10:37:29 AM »
I am finishing up Bama undergrad this May and will likely attend Alabama.  (Basically, unless a UVA miracle).  It was the visit for me as well that made Bama the easy choice. 

KitK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 11:12:44 AM »
Hey TCS! Thanks for the review. Were you impressed with the class you visited? I sat in on a class and was unimpressed - with the students, not the professor. He would ask a question and they would sit there and say nothing. It was uncomfortable and annoying! The prof was a nice guy and not agressive, so it wasn't that. Maybe just a bad day... I also visited Vandy and liked it a lot better than Bama. I didn't sense any sort of complex. I enjoyed the class a lot more and the students seemed really sharp as well as friendly. Maybe we are just looking for different things! Thanks again for the info and please let me know about the class.

tcs5384

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 11:15:33 AM »
Maybe we just met different students.

KitK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 11:18:46 AM »
Maybe we just met different students.

Probably. The problem with sitting in on one class is that you don't get as much of the true flavor of a place. I want to think that perhaps the students in that section at Bama had a project due in another class or something. I can't think that it's the norm. The students were very friendly, though. Seemed happy.

john83

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 11:40:48 AM »
i'll update my findings on the class situation when i visit april 7...