Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I hate the Midwest! Should I be considering WUSTL anyway?  (Read 866 times)

vinylisbetter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I hate the Midwest! Should I be considering WUSTL anyway?
« on: March 14, 2006, 04:43:20 PM »
To me, the Midwest seems like a sad, dreary place.  The weather, the accents, etc...

However, Washington University seems like a good school, with a good law program, and St. Louis seems like it could maybe be okay.  Plus, you have to consider the kicker-- they offered me a fantastic scholarship. 

Should I be considering WUSTL, even if I have no interest in living in the Midwest at all? 

himay

Re: I hate the Midwest! Should I be considering WUSTL anyway?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 04:57:34 PM »
Seems like you've pretty much got that correct.  The Midwest is a sad, dreary place - the weather - the land-lockedness.  But Wash U is a great school.  I'm from St. Louis, and although I would never move back to live, the school is great, the city can be fun, and there aren't really accents there, like in Iowa or Nebraska.  Except in some of the outlying county areas - South County.  Oh, and the Nelly "Hot in Herr" accents you can find in the city sometimes :)

Definitely consider it.  Visit if you can, as well.

himay

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 06:33:40 PM »
As a little preface, I'm not a big fan of St. Louis, so my answers will reflect that (I live in San Diego now, which I love).

St. Louis is polluted.  The area near Wash U isn't too bad, but the city as a whole does have a pollution problem, because it is in a valley, so clouds, smog, etc., sit on the city.  It's not as bad as NYC or LA though.

I don't think there are accents, except in some of the rural areas of St. Louis.  If there is any accent, it's not a hick accent, more like slight little accents (like you might find in Chicago), but nothing too noticeable.  That's just my opinion.

It's not a fully boring city.  They have concerts, there's a nice funky, alternative area right near WUSTL, called University City (known as UCity), and South City is nearby, which is also fun.  But the weather stinks, and it gets dreary in the winter, for several months.  I wouldn't discourage you from going, just because it is such a great school.  But, weigh it with your other options (especially if you don't/do want to end up in the midwest).

Shellbell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 07:49:34 PM »
The Midwest is neither sad, nor dreary.  Then again, I don't consider having seasons to be dreary weather, and I'm unsure exactly what sort of "accent" Midwesterners have that would be so offensive. 

Yes, I would like to know what kind of "accents" us Midwesterners have.  I have always thought that we sound like people on tv.  In fact, I think I heard somewhere that midwesterners were used in the military radio communications during WWI because most people could understand what they were saying and didn't have the accents of, say, people from the south.  I'm from WI, by the way.
University of Pennsylvania here I come!

Shellbell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 08:00:05 PM »
the californian accent is what you most hear on tv now.

Don't most actors go to vocal coaches so that you can't hear their accents?  I always thought the voice that they are coached to use was great-lakes-y.  I could be wrong.
University of Pennsylvania here I come!

tmoney619

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 08:05:26 PM »
I am in a similar situation, I don't really hate the midwest, but I currently live in San Diego a few blocks from the beach and love it. I was accepted to the U. of Minn, and am really impressed with there program and the quality of the education I would receive. Some people tell me not to leave CA because I will be miserable, and some say take advantage of the great legal education, and the rest will sort itself out. Still confused and the first deposit deadlines are coming up.  ???

Benashja

• AOL Instant Messenger - JustJoshing11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 08:09:14 PM »
Being from the Northeast, and then going to Undergrad in the South, and then going on a roadtrip through the Midwest last week, I can tell you that there IS DEFINITELY a midwestern accent... the closest I can come to explaining it is if you remember the old cartoon "Bobby's World", where his mother would say things like "don'tcha know" and whatnot.  If you can imagine her saying that, you have captured the jist of a midwestern accent.   (Note: A Chicago accent is a variation of this... See: SNL's Chicago Superfans)
Touchdown (accepted): Rutgers-Newark, Saint Louis, Michigan State, Albany, Gonzaga ($5500), Tulsa ($10000), Florida Coastal ($12000)
3 and Out (waitlisted): Penn State, Case Western
Fumble (rejected): Denver, Miami, IUPUI

jorge

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 08:14:54 PM »
There are accents withinthe midwest, but there is no midwestern accent. For instance, Chicago (think Dennis Franz). I'm not from St. Louis, but I've spent a good deal of time there and detected no accent.

The "dontcha know" accent is in the northern midwest and sounds little to nothing like people in St. Louis. I agree that such an accent is nowhere near universal (same goes for the Chicago accent).

tmoney619

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 08:34:43 PM »
yeah this is such an issue. did umn give you a decent amount of money? how do i choose between 15k a year and 5k a year (especially at a school that forces me to lease a laptop id ont want or need)

I got 5k, and they said it is really hard to get in state, with that said being from CA, our instate is not much cheaper than there out of state. Whoa hold on you have to Lease their Laptop? Why?

vinylisbetter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 10:10:14 PM »
Well, thanks for clearing the whole accent thing up for me...