Law School Discussion

As deposit deadlines get closer and closer...

As deposit deadlines get closer and closer...
« on: March 14, 2006, 01:30:15 PM »

I'm getting more and more stressed out.  NYLS or Pace?  I want to do biglaw...I ultimately want to specialize in family and matrimonial law.  Help!

Re: As deposit deadlines get closer and closer...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 01:38:23 PM »

I should probably add that I'm putting a deposit down on one of these schools to secure my seat.  I am still waiting to hear from a number of other schools before making a final decision. 

RockyMarciano

• Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 05:33:24 PM »
You may look at transferring after your first year. Someone may know whether one has more transfer potential than the other.  It is a difficult decision and to be honest I can not recommend one over the other because I know very little about these schools. Best of luck either way.

Erapitt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 05:37:15 PM »
Your odds of getting Biglaw out of Pace are slim to none.  I am sure I will get flamed for that comment, but its the truth. 

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 08:49:25 PM »
Your odds of getting Biglaw out of Pace are slim to none.  I am sure I will get flamed for that comment, but its the truth. 

On that note, I also wasn't aware that BigLaw firms had family/matrimonial law practice areas. It doesn't seem complex enough to require BigLaw manpower.

Thank you very much.  I'm pretty sure I'll be putting my deposit down at NYLS.  As far as matrimonial/family law, a lot of big firms don't have it...you are correct. However, there are a few in NYC as well as Newark, NJ that do have it.  Honestly though, family/matrimonial law is only something I'm set on doing ultimately in life.  In other words, I want to do biglaw initially whether or not it involves my primary interest in family/matirmonial law.  Way down the road I'd like to have my own practice which would include family/matrimonial law, real estate and trust, and possibly personal injury among other things.  Thanks again for the info. 

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 08:55:10 PM »

Thank you everyone for the information.  I really appreciate it.  It looks like a deposit at NYLS is my best bet (unless of course I hear from somewhere else in the mean time.

Oh yeah, and as far as transferring, I have definitely considered that possibility...thank you..

shaz

• University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 08:59:00 PM »
what exactly is big law?  100 attys and up?  how much can you make as a first year assocc at mid-law?

Erapitt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 04:40:54 AM »
Biglaw is more like 250+ and most firms are more like 500+.  A midlaw associate can look to make a salary close to Biglaw if it is a respected firm, however, there won't be as many opportunities for partner, etc.... and the annual raises are likely not going to be as high.

To get into any major firm from a T3 or T4 you better be top 10% of your class, maybe even top 5% for some.  Reality is, 90-95% of you won't fall into that category.

Just make sure you can handle doing whatever kind of law pays the bills when you get out before you make the commitment of 100K in debt.  I am headed to a Top 20 and I still don't know if I would be going if it wasn't being paid for by my employer.  I don't care how much I'm making, $1,000 a month in loan payments is alot of money.