Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What will your Undergrad/Law School Combination say about you?  (Read 44100 times)

arlhello

• View Profile
    • LSN
Re: What will your Undergrad/Law School Combination say about you?
« Reply #270 on: April 21, 2006, 12:31:34 AM »
UTexas/UWisconsin

This girl just can't make up her mind!! 

Major shock when it comes to weather, too.

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 21, 2006, 01:01:49 AM »
UTexas/UWisconsin

This girl just can't make up her mind!! 

Major shock when it comes to weather, too.

Go with UKansas the perfect compromise. With love and respect, I bid you adieu.

d_y_ze

« Reply #272 on: April 21, 2006, 03:31:43 AM »
I didn't even think people listed their high schools on their resumes, unless they never made it to college.  If not, would you just mention it to any interviewer you ever run into in the hopes that someone's ears perk up?

I wouldnt think high school mattered. But still, have you noticed that when we applied to law school, all the apps asked for which high school you attended? I wonder what the purpose is...to gauge your previous local ties or what?

Yeah, I thought about that.  I am not quite sure what the purpose of that was.  But look at the CVs of any professor at any Law School and I don't think you'll find any high school listed on any of them.  If it mattered, wouldn't that be on there considering how prestige-driven academia is?

They make you list your high school on your app so that anyone who didn't graduate may think twice before lying about it.

d_y_ze

« Reply #273 on: April 21, 2006, 05:05:03 AM »
I didn't even think people listed their high schools on their resumes, unless they never made it to college.  If not, would you just mention it to any interviewer you ever run into in the hopes that someone's ears perk up?

I wouldnt think high school mattered. But still, have you noticed that when we applied to law school, all the apps asked for which high school you attended? I wonder what the purpose is...to gauge your previous local ties or what?

Yeah, I thought about that.  I am not quite sure what the purpose of that was.  But look at the CVs of any professor at any Law School and I don't think you'll find any high school listed on any of them.  If it mattered, wouldn't that be on there considering how prestige-driven academia is?

They make you list your high school on your app so that anyone who didn't graduate may think twice before lying about it.

FWIW, I doubt it matters: I know a couple of profs who dropped out of high school to go straight to college.  If you're intelligent enough for a good college will let you in without a high school degree, you're fine.

I get the impression that law school apps are different from grad school apps due to the bar.

I think that if someone did not graduate from high school, it would be something of interest to Admission Committees as to why. They like to feel like they get a comprehensive sense of an applicant wherever remotely relevant... or if you attended hs in a foreign country, they'd like to know so that they can make you take the TOEFL or something... you're right, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference when you've succeeded academically since.. Mostly I think it's just a formality; on the other hand, for many applicants, high school was just 4 or 5 years ago..

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 21, 2006, 10:59:07 AM »

Yeah, I thought about that.  I am not quite sure what the purpose of that was.  But look at the CVs of any professor at any Law School and I don't think you'll find any high school listed on any of them.  If it mattered, wouldn't that be on there considering how prestige-driven academia is?

Actually, the admissions officer I talked to said they ask for your high school to see if you come from a disadvantaged background.  If you do, it can bolster your apps... I asked him if I should play up going to an prestigious/unique high school, and he said it wouldn't make a lick of difference.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

ibroadrunr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #275 on: April 21, 2006, 11:00:23 AM »

Yeah, I thought about that.  I am not quite sure what the purpose of that was.  But look at the CVs of any professor at any Law School and I don't think you'll find any high school listed on any of them.  If it mattered, wouldn't that be on there considering how prestige-driven academia is?

Actually, the admissions officer I talked to said they ask for your high school to see if you come from a disadvantaged background.  If you do, it can bolster your apps... I asked him if I should play up going to an prestigious/unique high school, and he said it wouldn't make a lick of difference.

Aw, poop.    :-X  ;)
Work, and a PT online MLIS.  Reapply down the line.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ibroadrunr

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #276 on: April 21, 2006, 12:06:26 PM »

and for those of us that were able to go to a "good" high school in spite of a disadvantaged background??
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #277 on: April 21, 2006, 12:14:32 PM »
i put my HS down on my resume just b/c its a prestigious one so i thought it was worth noting
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 21, 2006, 12:29:30 PM »

and for those of us that were able to go to a "good" high school in spite of a disadvantaged background??

That's what a personal statement's for  :)

They love applicants overcoming challenges!
I am officially a law school graduate : )

Tiwaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 21, 2006, 01:41:14 PM »
Actually, the admissions officer I talked to said they ask for your high school to see if you come from a disadvantaged background.

Do they have a big database of info on high schools, then, to help them determine which count as "disadvantaged"?   I mean, I realize that very prestigious schools have good name recognition, at least in some circles, but no admissions officer has ever heard of my school, unless he happened to grow up in my hometown.