Law School Discussion

Visit to Wisconsin

Visit to Wisconsin
« on: March 14, 2006, 07:57:35 AM »
Had a chance to visit University of Wisconsin several weeks ago and thought I would post my impressions.  I am not from the Midwest and had never been to Wisconsin.  That being said, the drive from Chicago was...stark.  It seemed to me that the school was in the middle of nowhere.  That may not be true, but it's the feeling I got.  It also seemed to me that, despite being the state capitol, Madison existed for the University and not the other way around.  It feels very much like a college town, even down to that dorm room smell that permeated the campus.  I found the law school building to be magnificent.  I know that many have remarked on its industrial look, but I loved it.  True, it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the campus, but frankly the whole place is a hodge podge of architectural styles.  I found the students to be friendly and the classroom discussion was intelligent and lively.  It was a confident, smart bunch.  A cursory glance across a classroom, the library or the lounge are in the atrium will reveal that itís not a particularly diverse place.  Not only did it seem really white, but the students all seemed about the same age (itís a young group).  The main reading room of the library is simply breathtaking.  Itís reminiscent of an airplane hanger with a far wall of glass that looks out on to the campus.  Very modern and simple.  Itís just stunning.  The people here are genuinely nice and the environment seemed collegial and not so competitive.  I was a bit overwhelmed by the size of the school; I think there are about 40,000 students on the entire campus.  There were pros and cons for me and while I was sure Iíd write it off before my visit, Iím now having second thoughts.