Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Southern California Law Schools  (Read 1396 times)

cjprof4

• View Profile
    • Email
Southern California Law Schools
« on: January 09, 2004, 12:06:35 PM »
I have a very serious choice to make.  I have almost a full scholarship from Chapman, which is a Tier II, but a new school, and everyone is putting it down regarding job prospects.  I also probably have a decent shot at San Diego, Loyola, and California Western (with $$) and Pepperdine. 
Please I need some serious advice, and some honesty.  Thanks

mira_j

• View Profile
Re: Southern California Law Schools
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 02:29:13 PM »
Hi,
I live in S. California and I am applying to the same schools as you. I am curious-what is you GPA and LSAT?
Thank you.
Mira

cjprof4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 02:41:46 PM »
I was stupid and /didnt prep for the LSAT at all, but I at least got a 157.  LSAC GPA 2.5....Actual 3.0

anxious

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 07:02:46 AM »
I'm a Californian here applying to those same SoCal schools.  I was going to apply to Chapman (which is a Tier III, last time I checked) however I heard the same thing regarding the fact that it was new so I decided against applying there.  And I had the same regretful experience regarding the LSAT.  Although I did purchase study aids, I did not use them as much as I should have and when I did, I was not very focused.  So.....although I had a 3.68 GPA from a UC, I ended up with a 153 on the LSAT.  I'm hoping schools will put a greater emphasis on the score that reflects four years of work and dedication, rather than on the score that shows 1 test taken on 1 day.  I'm skeptical though.  I wish us all some much needed luck....

bobfett33

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 07:21:19 PM »
Well, I just graduated from Chapman as an undergrad.  I'm thinking about Chapman Law as well.  I got a 167, but my GPA is only 3.2.  Anyway, there have been several Chapman grads who have apparently received 90% scholarships for having LSAT scores of around 165.  The word around campus is that the law school is essentially buying high quality law students.  So, if Orange County is your kind of place (if you're interested in homogenous and right-wing demographics) and you've got a good LSAT score, you should definitely apply to Chapman.

True, the school is quite new (5 years?) but it's a beautiful new building with an impressive law library and I hear they're hiring a new professor who specializes in international law.