Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where to buy female business suits?  (Read 2987 times)

piggy-buttercup

• Sr. Citizen
  • hi!
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy female business suits?
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 07:38:02 PM »
you can buy the three piece of a jacket, pants, and skirt. =)

i've seen a few threads about buying a suit for law school... are you suposed to dress nicely for class or something or are we talking more about interviews for jobs? personally i like to wear pajamas to class!  :P so i hope the answer is no

I've heard of my friend in law school wearing PJs (I am thinking tshirts and drawstring pants) to classes.

professional attire is probably only for job interview and other job related purposes.

and also for mock trial and such.

btw how does everyone feel about pant-suit versus skirt-suit? someone told me recently that some older firms/companies prefer that women interview in skirt-suits because it's the old fashioned way but that once they start working then pants are fine.

veg

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 08:08:31 PM »
I personally like skirt suits.

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 08:59:40 PM »
I always wear pants suits - but I work in an industry that is about 75% men and some are pretty icky, so I prefer to show as ittle leg as possible  ;).

Id say the rule should be wear what you feel most comfortable in.  I  personally feel stuffy when I wear skirt suits, but I think they can be really cute on others.

Oh, and as to the pajamas to class comment - CANT WAIT!! I love my comfy clothes and I
love the idea of dressing like a student again!! 

2L

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 09:05:47 PM »
tag

(i figure, this is where all the chicks are hanging out)

piggy-buttercup

• Sr. Citizen
  • hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 10:11:47 PM »
o wow. texas is that conservative??

are you going to ut or chicago tra?

you can buy the three piece of a jacket, pants, and skirt. =)

i've seen a few threads about buying a suit for law school... are you suposed to dress nicely for class or something or are we talking more about interviews for jobs? personally i like to wear pajamas to class!  :P so i hope the answer is no

I've heard of my friend in law school wearing PJs (I am thinking tshirts and drawstring pants) to classes.

professional attire is probably only for job interview and other job related purposes.

and also for mock trial and such.

btw how does everyone feel about pant-suit versus skirt-suit? someone told me recently that some older firms/companies prefer that women interview in skirt-suits because it's the old fashioned way but that once they start working then pants are fine.

It all depends on where you are going.  In Texas, some judges will not let you in their courtroom if you are wearing a pants suit.  These are generally the same judges that hold anyone whose cell phones ring in contempt.

If you are coming to the South, definately a skirt suit.  If you are going to the west coast, pants suits should be fine.  I don't really know anything about the east coast.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 10:33:53 PM »
Florida= no one really cares whether it's pants or skirt. Florida really doesn't seem to go for the suit at all though, it's just too hot.  I generally wear pants here in Florida because it's hot and hot + pantyhose = bad.

ibroadrunr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 11:34:42 PM »

YAY for the PJcrew.  I always felt bad for the B-schoolers in their suits and have been hoping law school isn't like that.  (I like business suits on women, but they're not comfy for learning situations.)
Work, and a PT online MLIS.  Reapply down the line.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ibroadrunr

legalprincesa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 09:30:03 AM »
Express always has nice, fashionable, tasteful things in their work ware sections.  They also tend to be a little cheaper than JCrew.  I got a great suit there to go to the white house...total cost for shirt, jacket, and pants:  $220.00
BC Law class of 2009!

Vannabunny

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - savannah_honey@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 10:39:43 AM »
Ok, so here's my take:

In the Midwest, either pants or skirt work for everyday suit occassions, but I personally would only wear a pantsuit if it was snowing-ly cold. Skirts suits are more accepted.

Good places to buy them:

$$$$: D&G, Brooks Brothers,
$$$: JCrew - they have outlet stores - any outlet JCrew is a good pick;
$$: Macys  -  my favorite suit came from here; Express, Limited, other big department stores
$: Gap, for seperates; the Issac Mizrahi line from Target

Also, I have had great luck at secondhand stores, and even Sal Ar and Goodwill, especially those in nice neighborhoods. You may need some tailoring, but its worth it.
High Priestess of the P-Dub Club

talking dirty to vanna is like... like... hitting on the pope or someting

IU-B grad student, working in corporate America

Sweet Tea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 10:53:30 AM »
My two favorite suits came from Arden B and Bennetton. 
Attending The George Washington University School of Law, class of 2009 :)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=BenFolds5