Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where to buy female business suits?  (Read 2982 times)

parisshilton

• Paris on Law School? "That's Hot"
    • View Profile
    • lawschoolnumbers
Where to buy female business suits?
« on: March 14, 2006, 12:30:33 AM »
So, for all the ladies out there, I have been trying to find a decent business suit for law school but it's been pretty fruitless.  I'm looking for suits that don't look cheap and don't make me look like a 60 year old librarian... however I don't want to shell out a fortune for designer labels.  Anyone have suggestions on places that are both affordable and hip?  I'm in the Southern California region... so I don't have H&M access, a pity I know.
Thanks!
HOT: Chapman, UOP, Pepperdine, Santa Clara
NOT:

I DUNNO: USD, UCD, UCH, GGU, USF, LMU

veg

Re: Where to buy female business suits?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 01:33:32 AM »
elie tahari. They'll run you twice that, though.

veg

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 01:55:58 AM »
With heels I still need to hem the pants. :D
I have trouble finding stuff with shoulders that are small enough, too. I am way tiny.

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 06:49:26 PM »
Ok...my FAVORITE...

Ann Taylor LOFT.  Their businesswear is designed for "young professional" women and is SO cute.  All of my work clothes are from there - they hang wonderfully and have some real style  to them. 

Plus - because they are aimed at the younger crowd they are priced much lower than regular Ann Taylor and I believe Banana.

Pants are usually about $89, a jacket $129. For a quality suit that is NOT bad!!!

A recommendation - buy two pairs of pants for your jacket.  There are so many "business casual" events now and you end up wearing the pants w/a sweaterset or buttondown, and they wear much faster than the jacket. 
2L

piggy-buttercup

• Sr. Citizen
  • hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 06:55:28 PM »
elie tahari. They'll run you twice that, though.

yeap. taharis are nice. ann loft is also a big contender as well.

tra, I envy you!

<---also in the crowd of needing the hemline fixed even after the heels.  >:(

parisshilton

• Paris on Law School? "That's Hot"
    • View Profile
    • lawschoolnumbers
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 07:01:21 PM »
Thanks for all the great suggestions. 

I really don't want to look like those female law students that forgot they are still in their early 20's and dress like school marms... nor do I want to look like a hoochie and not be taken seriously. 

I am also in the group of requiring a hem.  Petite is my friend.
HOT: Chapman, UOP, Pepperdine, Santa Clara
NOT:

I DUNNO: USD, UCD, UCH, GGU, USF, LMU

Apples and Oranges

• Sr. Citizen
  • My puppy
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MissPalmboom
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 07:06:17 PM »
Ok...my FAVORITE...

Ann Taylor LOFT.  Their businesswear is designed for "young professional" women and is SO cute.  All of my work clothes are from there - they hang wonderfully and have some real style  to them. 

Plus - because they are aimed at the younger crowd they are priced much lower than regular Ann Taylor and I believe Banana.

Pants are usually about $89, a jacket $129. For a quality suit that is NOT bad!!!

A recommendation - buy two pairs of pants for your jacket.  There are so many "business casual" events now and you end up wearing the pants w/a sweaterset or buttondown, and they wear much faster than the jacket. 

As soon as I saw this thread I thought that! If you live near eastern Pennsylvania there is an Anne Taylor Outlet at The Crossings outlet on Route 80, which is where I do all my professional type shopping.  Plus they've got great petite selection if you don't have tralala's long leg problem  ;)

At the outlet I got two great suit jackets for $20 each, and then got matching collared shirts and pants... All told I spent $150 and got a multiplicity of outfits...

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 07:22:40 PM »
i've seen a few threads about buying a suit for law school... are you suposed to dress nicely for class or something or are we talking more about interviews for jobs? personally i like to wear pajamas to class!  :P so i hope the answer is no

piggy-buttercup

• Sr. Citizen
  • hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 07:31:19 PM »
i've seen a few threads about buying a suit for law school... are you suposed to dress nicely for class or something or are we talking more about interviews for jobs? personally i like to wear pajamas to class!  :P so i hope the answer is no

I've heard of my friend in law school wearing PJs (I am thinking tshirts and drawstring pants) to classes.

professional attire is probably only for job interview and other job related purposes.

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 07:34:51 PM »
*sighs in relief*