Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU hires Jeremy Waldron from Columbia (third prof to move downtown this year)  (Read 370 times)

Beatnik

• View Profile
I saw this article and thought other people debating NYU vs. Columbia would be interested...

http://nyobserver.com/20060313/20060313_Anna_Schneider-Mayerson_pageone_newsstory2.asp
"We are surrounded by insurmountable opportunity." - W. Kelly

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
I saw this article and thought other people debating NYU vs. Columbia would be interested...

http://nyobserver.com/20060313/20060313_Anna_Schneider-Mayerson_pageone_newsstory2.asp

According to Brian Leiter, FWIW (IMO not much), this is due to the fact that "NYU has the best philosophy program in the world and high profile moves like this are not forseeable in the near future"
HLS '09

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
When I heard about this, I freaked out.  Seriously, Waldron is a beast of an intellectual mind.  He had a really outstanding article that made me rethink my whole outlook on Locke, which is a big deal (though I don't entirely agree with him).  He seriously wrote the book on property.

Now he is with Dworkin and Nagel and everyone else over there.  Holy crap.

Btw, he's got an standing offer from Harvard on the table, so he might be lured away.

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
When I heard about this, I freaked out.  Seriously, Waldron is a beast of an intellectual mind.  He had a really outstanding article that made me rethink my whole outlook on Locke, which is a big deal (though I don't entirely agree with him).  He seriously wrote the book on property.

Now he is with Dworkin and Nagel and everyone else over there.  Holy crap.

Btw, he's got an standing offer from Harvard on the table, so he might be lured away.

Hey Bass, how often do these big name scholars move around (if you know), just curious because it seems like its quite a bit.. :-\
HLS '09

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Hey Bass, how often do these big name scholars move around (if you know), just curious because it seems like its quite a bit.. :-\

Well, I'm not the expert, necessarily, but I sit on my university's tenure and promotion committee, so I know something about politics of big name professors.  Here's how it works (in my experience).  The young hot-shot professor without a tenure-track position (not much of a hot shot then?) is going to move around for sure.  The big name up-and-comer who is not yet tenured, but a sure thing is extremely likely to move around the time of tenure review (the type of hot shot that Zittrain is).  In the associate period (not full) the professor will not likely be actively shopping himself, but if he is great, he will be courted and will hear offers.  From there to the Waldron level, it slows down.

When you get to the level of a Waldron, Dworkin, Volokh...whatever, EVERYONE wants you.  You will have the option to move if you want.  If you aren't at the number 1 school, they'll be ready to take you, and 10 lesser schools will offer you more than what you are making.  Those people move as often as they'd like to.  Most don't like moving like crazy (who would), and some never do.  These are really hard to predict.

I don't think this answers the question.

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile

Well, I'm not the expert, necessarily, but I sit on my university's tenure and promotion committee, so I know something about politics of big name professors.  Here's how it works (in my experience).  The young hot-shot professor without a tenure-track position (not much of a hot shot then?) is going to move around for sure.  The big name up-and-comer who is not yet tenured, but a sure thing is extremely likely to move around the time of tenure review (the type of hot shot that Zittrain is).  In the associate period (not full) the professor will not likely be actively shopping himself, but if he is great, he will be courted and will hear offers.  From there to the Waldron level, it slows down.

When you get to the level of a Waldron, Dworkin, Volokh...whatever, EVERYONE wants you.  You will have the option to move if you want.  If you aren't at the number 1 school, they'll be ready to take you, and 10 lesser schools will offer you more than what you are making.  Those people move as often as they'd like to.  Most don't like moving like crazy (who would), and some never do.  These are really hard to predict.

I don't think this answers the question.

I think it answers it more or less, thanks ;)
HLS '09