Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Detroit Mercy School (CANADIAN NEEDS ADVICE)  (Read 1118 times)

mtheta

• View Profile
University of Detroit Mercy School (CANADIAN NEEDS ADVICE)
« on: March 13, 2006, 12:48:23 PM »
Hey all,

I am from Vancouver BC and have applied for a joint program with the University of Windsor and the University of Detroit Mercy School. I would graduate with a LLB/JD. 
Since I'm Canadian and don't really know much about the reputation of U.S. schools, I would really appreciate some honest input. 

Admittedly I have some negative stereotyped images of what Detroit is like and I don't want my fears to cloud my judgement about a school of program. Is it as bad as it is portrayed as being?

Some positives and negatives would be great!

Thanks so much!
GPA - 3.5
LSAT - Dec' 05
Applying - UVIC, UNB, DHAL, UofC, SASK

!!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: University of Detroit Mercy School (CANADIAN NEEDS ADVICE)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 10:14:32 PM »
I'm from the Detroit area.  Mercy is seen as a commuter school with a decent reputation in its own backyard. Michigan State University is about an hour away from Detroit and its law school has a slightly better reputation... kind of a trickle-down effect from the parent institution.  It offers a JD/Canadian LLB.  I'm not sure about the details, but here's the website: www.msu.edu

There is high crime in Detroit.  Parts of the city look like they've been bombed (they haven't).  The suburbs run the gammut from poor to posh, and most of them are perfectly livable.  Most white-collar people who work or go to school in Detroit commute from the suburbs.  Driving is not a problem, which is nice because public transportation is virtually nonexistant.  The highways will get you where you need to go and parking in Detroit is not that bad... I mean, it's not Manhattan.

mtheta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 07:15:42 PM »
Thanks M16.  It  doesn't look like most ppl on this board have much of an opinion about the school, so your feedback was great.
It may sound ignorant but I just dont want to end up in a bad area on a daily basis. 
GPA - 3.5
LSAT - Dec' 05
Applying - UVIC, UNB, DHAL, UofC, SASK

!!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 07:57:55 PM »
Thanks M16.  It  doesn't look like most ppl on this board have much of an opinion about the school, so your feedback was great.
It may sound ignorant but I just dont want to end up in a bad area on a daily basis. 

No, you don't want to end up in a bad area.  There is nothing really special about Mercy, but if it's what you really want, I suggest getting an apartment or a house in a good neighborhood outside Detroit.

d_y_ze

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 07:45:12 PM »
What's a commuter school?  ???

I'm from the Detroit area.  Mercy is seen as a commuter school with a decent reputation in its own backyard. Michigan State University is about an hour away from Detroit and its law school has a slightly better reputation... kind of a trickle-down effect from the parent institution.  It offers a JD/Canadian LLB.  I'm not sure about the details, but here's the website: www.msu.edu

There is high crime in Detroit.  Parts of the city look like they've been bombed (they haven't).  The suburbs run the gammut from poor to posh, and most of them are perfectly livable.  Most white-collar people who work or go to school in Detroit commute from the suburbs.  Driving is not a problem, which is nice because public transportation is virtually nonexistant.  The highways will get you where you need to go and parking in Detroit is not that bad... I mean, it's not Manhattan.

!!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 08:07:10 AM »

A school that nearly everyone commutes to.  The school provides very little housing for students, if it provides housing at all.

mto83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 06:14:57 PM »

A school that nearly everyone commutes to.  The school provides very little housing for students, if it provides housing at all.

I think a commuter school is a school that has a student body make-up mostly from the immediate area. They have little housing because students live close enough to commute.

angc2383

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 10:36:33 PM »
Hi I was wondering if someone could offer more advice about UDM? I'm thinking of going there because I just got accepted.  I'm looking for information on what's a good place to live? If I should bring my car? I'm not from Michigan.  I'm from NYC.  How the wweather is like etc?  Also, if anyone knows anything about the Special Summer Program, can you pleaes post info on that too?  Thanks!

angc2383

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 03:19:23 PM »
thanks for the info! much appreciated.  can you name me some suburbs to choose from? i was thinking as long as the area is safe and not too expensive? maybe a stupid apt? im not sure what law students down there usually do? if i live inthe suburbs, can i take public transportation to the law school with the city bus? are there apartments near the law school? or it mainly a city hall type area with office buildings? im so clueless on what to do.. thanks!

Silvermtn

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - silvermountain74
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 12:57:45 AM »
Its a lot like Burnaby.  Not real pretty to look at but just apply some common sense and you'll be just fine.