Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chapman's 2005 LSAC data  (Read 2692 times)

Chapman 1L

• View Profile
Re: Chapman's 2005 LSAC data
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 04:08:40 AM »
My $0.02:

As my moniker indicates, I am Chapman student (Rising 2L now), but I just wanted to clarify the truth that there are legitimate reasons why Chapman is ranked significantly lower than Loyola, let alone UCLA and USC.

The most prominent of these are related to the age of the law school. That is why Chapman does not have the same alumni base, reputation, and overall distinguished faculty as the others. And that is why only the very top of the class at Chapman has a shot a shot at a top firm. A goodly number of Chapman grads will get very nice starting jobs, but only a small handfuf will make $120,000+ straight out of law school. I don't know the numbers, but I'm pretty sure that at least half the class at UCLA could make that, and probably at least 20 percent of Loyola grads.

That said, Chapman is on the rise. Each year the alumni base grows (obviously), the faculty improves in both quality and prestige, and the students are of an overall higher caliber than those from the previous year.

WestCoast2L

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 04:16:26 AM »
My $0.02:

As my moniker indicates, I am Chapman student (Rising 2L now), but I just wanted to clarify the truth that there are legitimate reasons why Chapman is ranked significantly lower than Loyola, let alone UCLA and USC.

The most prominent of these are related to the age of the law school. That is why Chapman does not have the same alumni base, reputation, and overall distinguished faculty as the others. And that is why only the very top of the class at Chapman has a shot a shot at a top firm. A goodly number of Chapman grads will get very nice starting jobs, but only a small handfuf will make $120,000+ straight out of law school. I don't know the numbers, but I'm pretty sure that at least half the class at UCLA could make that, and probably at least 20 percent of Loyola grads.

That said, Chapman is on the rise. Each year the alumni base grows (obviously), the faculty improves in both quality and prestige, and the students are of an overall higher caliber than those from the previous year.

i agree completely and think chapman is making all the right moves for a new school.

all the same, given the choice chapman vs ucla is a no brainer (unless as i said you HAVE to live in OC AND you were given a full ride)

wannaB1L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mike Nifong '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 02:03:42 PM »
I don't believe that choosing one school over another because of likely salary is foolish. This is precisely the reason why I would choose Loyola over Chapman, that and the probability of getting into a firm. Also you are partially correct- USC is very unlikely to grant me permission to attend- Loyola is a strong possibility. I would choose stanford over any school, they would never have me either- so there goes your 'hunch.' For the last time I just like Pepperdine and Chapman more than Loyola. But would attend Pepperdine, then Loyola then Chapman because of Ranking whores like you rule the world.
a pirate's life for me.

SAVE THE WTO NOW!

wannaB1L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mike Nifong '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 02:09:11 PM »
you are right chapman v. ucls is a no-brainer- I would choose UCLA. I think you are seeing the trees and not the forest in what I am saying.
a pirate's life for me.

SAVE THE WTO NOW!

WestCoast2L

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 07:31:27 PM »
I don't believe that choosing one school over another because of likely salary is foolish. This is precisely the reason why I would choose Loyola over Chapman, that and the probability of getting into a firm. Also you are partially correct- USC is very unlikely to grant me permission to attend- Loyola is a strong possibility. I would choose stanford over any school, they would never have me either- so there goes your 'hunch.' For the last time I just like Pepperdine and Chapman more than Loyola. But would attend Pepperdine, then Loyola then Chapman because of Ranking whores like you rule the world.

thank you for calling me a ranking whore. i am glad that you noticed that i am clearly critical of the rankings ::)

however, judging from this and other threads you have posted on, i notice you like confrontations and arguments, so i will let it slip. i am in no mood to have a cyber mud-slinging with you.

wannaB1L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mike Nifong '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2006, 12:23:46 AM »
very noble of you little man, esp after you say snide things like"what do you base this on how pretty the buildings are?" It is funny when people insult your intelligence then decide that they are above such after the shoe is on the other foot. I will consider my argument won!!!!!!!

PS little man- I never ever never ever said I would select UCLA over Chapman. Merely tht in a blind taste test I "like" Pepperdine then USC and Chapman over UCLA in a blind taste test, and that it was not based on any reality (blind taste test)and that in reality I would choose a school like Loyola over Chapman
a pirate's life for me.

SAVE THE WTO NOW!

wannaB1L

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mike Nifong '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2006, 12:31:07 AM »
Chapman is a good school. I like it more than Loyola and Southwestern, but would probably pick Loyola over it because of this whole USNEWS crap as well as Loyola grads making mo' $$$money. Honestly in a blind taste test I like #1) Pepp (2)USC & Chapman (4)UCLA and USD (6)Whittier & Cal Western (8) Southwestern (9) Thomas Jefferson (10)La Verne (11)Western State. These ranking are not based on any methodology and are not based on the real world, especially since USC and UCLA won't even return my calls.

THE ORIGINAL POST THAT GOT STUCK UP IN THIS DUDES #@%
a pirate's life for me.

SAVE THE WTO NOW!

veganchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2006, 04:26:00 PM »
For what it's worth - I met a 3rd year from Chapman last night who said she really liked it there...  she also said she really enjoyed her summer internships too.  She said she chose Chapman over other higher ranked schools because she wanted to stay in Orange County.

8)
Pepperdine it is.  I'm a sucker for an ocean view.

Skeptic

• Sr. Citizen
  • I need Radiohead tickets for show in L.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2006, 04:52:32 PM »
For what it's worth - I met a 3rd year from Chapman last night who said she really liked it there...  she also said she really enjoyed her summer internships too.  She said she chose Chapman over other higher ranked schools because she wanted to stay in Orange County.

8)

Good to hear Veganchick.  How have you been vegan?  Participating in antiwar protests lately?

veganchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2006, 02:31:21 PM »
No.  I'm so stressed, I'm just trying to make sure I eat and sleep.  Got to get my act together before law school starts.  I think protests may have to be on hold for 3 years.  Then I'll just take em' to court.  And win  :D
Pepperdine it is.  I'm a sucker for an ocean view.