Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PENN Admit Weekend, March 24 - 26th - who's going? (plus reviews)  (Read 11285 times)

kuokuo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bear Territory
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: PENN Admit Weekend, March 24 - 26th - anyone else going?
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2006, 07:02:15 PM »
So what did you guys think? I felt the professors, staff, and students were all really welcoming, and thought the law school had some great facilities. I really enjoyed philly and chilling in center city on Friday night (although I didn't stay too long at the Irish pub, went somewhere else instead with some Penn Law 1Ls).  The dorm rooms were kinda...well not the greatest...but I could live with it...

Didn't recognize any lsders...and I don't think anyone recognized me either..although I did recognize some faces from other schools' admit weekends... 

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2006, 08:19:15 PM »
What I liked was the 1Ls at Penn seemed more down-to-earth and able to balance their lives than ones I met at other schools. I also like how they don't force teachers to give bad grades, and their career services people were great. The dorm rooms did kinda suck but they're close and cheap, so I'll consider them if I go there. And I got to sit at a table with D-Murder at dinner so hopefully I can shake some leaves from the money tree after working my charm on him.

I saw legapp again along with goodgal, dmschec and laurenrae (but I only recognized her as we were walking to the train station to leave). I was pretty antisocial at the pub Friday though because my attention was commanded by the UConn game, if anyone is wondering I was the guy jumping up and down and probably spilling beer on himself when Rashad Anderson hit that shot.

Laurenrae52

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2006, 01:20:34 PM »
I had such a great time at the Penn weekend -- I'm visiting Texas and Berkeley in the next two weeks, but they will be a very hard sell.  I thought the weekend was very well organized, and I appreciated the candor among the students.  Before visiting, I really wasn't concerned with the size of a law school (I am looking at GULC, and the larger size didn't really bother me) but by comparing it to Penn, I realize that a small school is really what I need right now.  I'm coming from a large undergrad, and having the extra attention will be very helpful.

And, I absolutly loved Philadelphia!  I thought the trolley ride was great, and it really helped me visualize myself living in the city.  I'm coming from NYC - and I have to say, the thought of getting a huge apartment in Center City for less than I'm paying now for a studio is very seductive.

In all, I loved the fact that I didn't constantly feel like I was being "sold" a school -- they didn't constantly compare themselves to other schools, except to just point out differences.  Walking around the building, campus and city I can really see myself living and thriving there! 
Harvard Law School, Class of 2009

jdoe

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2006, 02:28:20 PM »
ditto on the great time...so far, the only other school ive visited is umich...def liked penn/philly better than umich/ann arbor...in fact, i would be shocked if i like any of the other schools ill be visiting as much as penn...it seemed like i place i could def feel at home...the students were great...not just the self-selected post admis committee, but the students i met randomly out and about were all very helpful and down to earth...they (and many of the admits) seemed like the sort of people I would normally associate with......and maybe more importantly, they all seemed to genuinely love the school...ditto the professors...plus, philly doesnt seem like an overly expensive place to live...hmmm...sans money, i have a feeling penn might be my first choice...i really cant think of anything i didnt like...stupid money
IN: w&l($$$), cornell, emory($$$), vanderbilt($$$), ucla, usc($), penn, nwestern($$$ & .95$), gtown, umich, and uva($$)
WAIT: columbia, chicago
OUT:

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ehem

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2006, 03:33:32 PM »
Yeah, I also agree that people that weren't on the host committee still seemed to be happy and liked talking about how much they liked Penn. I didn't get that feeling at Georgetown or Cornell. And during the dean's speech at dinner I could really detect the excitement he had about the school in his voice. There really is something in the water.

Another observation I had was that it was heavily skewed toward people like me who are coming straight from UG or only have a year separation. I didn't meet as many nontrads as I did at other schools. Also, it seemed like EVERYONE there was deferred by Harvard. Lots of conversations about what schools people were deciding between were punctuated by "...unless I get into Harvard."

piggy-buttercup

• Sr. Citizen
  • hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2006, 04:33:25 PM »
I just got to c'ville from philly. man it's so pretty and warm here. huge contrast to philly. asian american interactions I've had were very different from the CA schools. maybe it's the east coast thing.

there were a lot of socially awkward admitted people. But then again, I think itís all like that at all these events. (this is my first admit event Iíve attended)

people are collegial but they are also competitive and driven. I think UVa has more laid back atmosphere, at least from what I hear.

and i second the str8 outta ug comment. there were some people who were listing the schools they got into, when i didnt even ask. very weird.

Yeah, I also agree that people that weren't on the host committee still seemed to be happy and liked talking about how much they liked Penn. I didn't get that feeling at Georgetown or Cornell. And during the dean's speech at dinner I could really detect the excitement he had about the school in his voice. There really is something in the water.

Another observation I had was that it was heavily skewed toward people like me who are coming straight from UG or only have a year separation. I didn't meet as many nontrads as I did at other schools. Also, it seemed like EVERYONE there was deferred by Harvard. Lots of conversations about what schools people were deciding between were punctuated by "...unless I get into Harvard."

jhare

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - moonmeadowe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2006, 04:50:31 PM »
I thought it was good. I saw some LSD people and I got drunk at the Irish Pub. Then I went back to stay in my little brother's DORM at St. Joe's. That was pretty weird. I am 27.

I really liked my fellow admits, and it was kind of fun to be around a bunch of people in the same stressed-filled situation that I am. Strange sort of 'fun'.

I thought they did a pretty good job selling the school. As far as clerkships and academia, I got the impression that they're both possible, but that you need to actively pursue them - which is probably the same anywhere outside the very best schools in those areas. It also made me realize that some of the clerkship numbers are probably the result of the type of students who choose the school - e.g., someone who's deciding between Columbia and Chicago and wants to clerk will go to Chicago. Part of the reason it produces so many clerks is that so many people who are intested in clerking want to go there. If 20% of Chicago students seek prestigious clerkships, and only 5% of CLS grads do, of course that will affect those numbers. (Of course, maybe fewer CLS grads look to clerk because they are realistic about their chances coming from a school less known for producing clerks.)

It's interesting to think about the role the institution plays in generating interest in various career paths.

None of this is any great revelation. I'm just thinking aloud. Back to Penn:

Maybe it's because I'm also looking at Columbia, but they seemed to directly target CLS whenever they gave a sales pitch. There were several times where someone would think of another school off the top of their head and each time they named Columbia ("If you look at Penn vs., say, Columbia"). Could be random, could be the fact that they are similar in many ways (city schools, biglaw focus, Ivy League, etc.), could be a conscious decision about which they sent a memo to all involved in admit days.

Over dinner, the library guy slammed GULC when I told him that I was considering it:

- Where else are you looking?
- Georgetown, Columbia
- Georgetown? Why?
- What do you mean?
- It's just that we think we're a much better school than Georgetown.

VERY unquakerly.

Overall, I saw a lot I liked, little that I didn't, and so I am still no closer to any sort of decision. 

jhare

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - moonmeadowe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2006, 04:54:41 PM »
there were a lot of socially awkward admitted people. But then again, I think itís all like that at all these events. (this is my first admit event Iíve attended)

It IS a sort of awkward situation.

and i second the str8 outta ug comment. there were some people who were listing the schools they got into, when i didnt even ask. very weird.

The people I met - not too many, granted - included several who were several years out of school. Maybe we sought each other out.

Noone volunteered the schools they got into, but there was definitely a lot of awkward verbal dancing as people wanted to find out where other people were looking/ had gotten in/ been rejected from, etc., and to let other people know about their situations. But everyone I met at least waited until they were asked.

piggy-buttercup

• Sr. Citizen
  • hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2006, 05:00:39 PM »

It IS a sort of awkward situation.

um, it was, but there were some extremes.

Me: Hi! my name is XX, what's yours?
girl: XX.

silence silence silence

-_- Me: so where are you from
girl: I came from Brown

silence silence silence

Then I escaped my dinner table. I met 4 or 5 people like this. And yes, my sample can be very biased, I know.  :)

The people I met - not too many, granted - included several who were several years out of school. Maybe we sought each other out.

Noone volunteered the schools they got into, but there was definitely a lot of awkward verbal dancing as people wanted to find out where other people were looking/ had gotten in/ been rejected from, etc., and to let other people know about their situations. But everyone I met at least waited until they were asked.

piggy-buttercup

• Sr. Citizen
  • hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2006, 05:03:26 PM »
but i met a cool girl that I really clicked with. we've decided to be roomies if we decide to go there.  :)

another really cool guy I met. I can see myself socializing well with those. oh, my host was very cool too.