Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Writing my PS before knowing each school's specific prompts  (Read 1296 times)

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I want to write my PS way before I start applying (about a year) and I know what I want to write about, but was wondering what the most common prompts are for law schools.  I want to write about the obstacles I have overcome. Do you think that topic would be acceptable for most law school PS's?  Also, I've heard of supplemental essays explaining diversity.  How would I go about doing that, since my main PS will be about my socioeconomic diversity?

nathanielmark

Re: Writing my PS before knowing each school's specific prompts
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 11:12:26 AM »
most of the schools keep the essays pretty open ended.  some have suggested lengths....  i would look at last years apps for your top 3 schools and put something together to fit their criteria, then modify as necessary.

incidentally, mine is done (though still pending revisions) and it is a one for all PS, i kept it under 500 words.  i may add an extra paragraph for my school of choice though.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 11:42:18 AM »
How did you keep it under 500 words?  I'm impressed...

And I'd do what green suggested, and look at the apps for your top 3, and perhaps read through apps for a handful of others.  My approach is that I wrote one (also pending revisions), and for my top 3 choices, I'll tailor that one to whatever specifics a school asks, and for the rest, they'll get the basic version, with a couple of small revisions there and there, but probably not overboard.

And for the diversity option statement, usually schools will ask for an option statement on diversity or (fill in random second topic here).  They generally give you a choice.  The second topic can be an accomplishment you're proud of, academic interests, or a free reign for whatever you want to write about.  Just be careful not to repeat yourself.  They'll have read your PS, give them a new aspect of you in teh optional essay.

nathanielmark

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 11:47:26 AM »
well im firstly someone who thinks less is usually more.  i also did not think my PS was the place to convince a school to accept me, i thought that was better left to other parts of my application.  i really wanted to tell the adcoms in simple words who i am, where i came from and what prompted me to return to school.  i also wanted to hopefully leave them wanting to know more about me.  who knows if it will work, i think it will depend largely on the experiences of a particular reader.  either way, i dont think it will hurt my app in any way, but could help it.

And I'd do what green suggested, and look at the apps for your top 3, and perhaps read through apps for a handful of others.  My approach is that I wrote one (also pending revisions), and for my top 3 choices, I'll tailor that one to whatever specifics a school asks, and for the rest, they'll get the basic version, with a couple of small revisions there and there, but probably not overboard.

And for the diversity option statement, usually schools will ask for an option statement on diversity or (fill in random second topic here).  They generally give you a choice.  The second topic can be an accomplishment you're proud of, academic interests, or a free reign for whatever you want to write about.  Just be careful not to repeat yourself.  They'll have read your PS, give them a new aspect of you in teh optional essay.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 01:23:24 PM »
Oh, I definitely didn't think it would hurt you at all, I was just impressed because I'm trying to keep mine to 2 pages, and I'm having a tough time with it.  All those 15-20+ papers in college affects your writing style, and short and concise is sometimes difficult.

The only time I think it could hurt to only have 500 words is the rare app that wants a longer statement, like UNC, which asked last year for 3-5 pages.  It could be the only school that does anything like that though.

well im firstly someone who thinks less is usually more.  i also did not think my PS was the place to convince a school to accept me, i thought that was better left to other parts of my application.  i really wanted to tell the adcoms in simple words who i am, where i came from and what prompted me to return to school.  i also wanted to hopefully leave them wanting to know more about me.  who knows if it will work, i think it will depend largely on the experiences of a particular reader.  either way, i dont think it will hurt my app in any way, but could help it.

dgatl

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 01:46:25 PM »
I applied to 18 schools last fall.  I downloaded all 18 applications for the previous year (meaning 2002-2003 application cycle) during the summer and started on the personal statements.  The only one that changed was for Viriginia, who totally changed their application from 2002-2003 to 2003-2004.  Great way to stay ahead when Gator football starts.

Oh, and if you are planning on attaching any addendum statements, go ahead and get them done now so you can concentrate on the personal statements later (if they change, which I doubt they will).

nathanielmark

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 01:53:18 PM »
Bull!

I applied to 18 schools last fall.  I downloaded all 18 applications for the previous year during the summer and started on the personal statements.  The only one that changed was for Viriginia, who totally changed their application from 2003 to 2004.  Great way to stay ahead when Gator football starts.

Oh, and if you are planning on attaching any addendum statements, go ahead and get them done now so you can concentrate on the personal statements later (if they change, which I doubt they will).

dgatl

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 02:00:17 PM »
i'm sorry, to clarify.  i applied in 2003 fall.  i downloaded all the applications that were from the 2002-2003 application cycle and then when the new appications were released in fall of 03, only one PS question statement had changed.

nathanielmark

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 11:20:07 PM »
LOL, i was just busting balls....  too funny...

i'm sorry, to clarify.  i applied in 2003 fall.  i downloaded all the applications that were from the 2002-2003 application cycle and then when the new appications were released in fall of 03, only one PS question statement had changed.