Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is anyone considering “leaving” their family during law school?  (Read 2248 times)

chipb2

• View Profile
    • Email
Is anyone considering “leaving” their family during law school? The school I hope to attend is 1.5 hours away. My wife has a great job (although it is still going to be difficult without my pay to make ends meet). We have discussed commuting, dorms, apartments...etc. 

We have also discussed her trying to get a new job in the new location but we both agree…that is highly unlikely (we would be coming from a major metropolitan city to a very small college town).

We also have a 2yr old to consider. This is going to be a rough time for all of us but we agree it will definitely pay off in the end. If I move and she stays, I will be coming up every weekend I can. If I commute, it sure will be a waste of 3hrs time. I would get home, study, go to bed, and then commute back and start all over again. Is it worth the commute time just to sleep at home? In addition, the commute is strictly by car, there is no other transportation (i.e. train) to the city.

Is any one else considering this type of transition?

sofa king

• View Profile
Re: Is anyone considering “leaving” their family during law school?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 11:24:45 AM »
The nearest law school to me is five hours away, so we're definitely moving.

Back when I first considered going back to school, I erroneously thought the college town two hours away from us had a law school. I thought I might rent a studio apt. there (rent is ridiculously cheap in that town - probably $300/mo. for a studio) and spend a few nights a week there, coming home for weekends (Fri p.m. - Mon. a.m. and maybe one day midweek). Maybe something like that would work well for you.

jvan2619

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 12:10:03 PM »
My family will be moving with me, but I was actually at the school I plan on attending last week and met with a student who is currently doing it.  She lives in town Tuesday-Thursday nights and then commutes back on the weekends.  She said it was extremely difficult, but manageable.  I should note though that she has no children.

Sorry I can't help more :(

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 01:13:41 PM »
Depending on where I get accepted I might be doing this.  My plan would be to live at my school during the week and go home on the weekend.  I've already spoken with my s.o who is very supportive, I know I'll miss dd alot though.  Hopefully, I won't have to make that decisiion though.

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 01:25:42 PM »
If the "college town" is New Haven or Ann Arbor (perhaps it's Ithica?), I can understand. But if you're not going to a national, I have to think it might not be such a good idea.  Most major cities have their own quality schools, and there are so many good reasons for sticking in the city and staying with your family.
You might find that the sacrifices you make will not pay off in academic success, and that will feel even worse. 
By the way, you will feel miserable living in a dorm.  And consider that if you go to that school in the college town, try to study at the libraries of one of the law schools in your home city.  They should be able to make an arrangement.
Why are you considering this school far away?

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 09:22:57 PM »
I'm in the same boat.  Hopefully it won't be too awful, but at least I won't be trying to juggle studying during the week with the pressure to spend quality time with my family.  I plan to study hard-core from Sunday night - Friday afternoon, then do my best to be completely "at home" on weekends.  With luck, 2L/3L years I'll be able to schedule myself so I can have an extra night or two at home each week.
Emory '09

LSN

chipb2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 08:23:51 AM »
You might find that the sacrifices you make will not pay off in academic success, and that will feel even worse. 
By the way, you will feel miserable living in a dorm.  And consider that if you go to that school in the college town, try to study at the libraries of one of the law schools in your home city.  They should be able to make an arrangement.
Why are you considering this school far away?

Yes, I have thought about it "not" paying off as well. And your right, I would feel like I let my family down. Why are you considering this school far away?....the difference between Teir 1 and Teir 4.

chipb2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 08:28:25 AM »
I plan to study hard-core from Sunday night - Friday afternoon, then do my best to be completely "at home" on weekends.  With luck, 2L/3L years I'll be able to schedule myself so I can have an extra night or two at home each week.

I plan on doing the same thing. My thought is if I can just make it through 1L, then the rest will be easier...

Although, another thought I have is about networking. If I am studying so hard during the week and gone on the weekends, will I be missing networking opportunities that will have dividends later?

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 09:40:37 AM »
Then it's about whether the school that's far away is better for establishing a career in your home city than the school that's in your home city. 

check01

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 04:39:29 PM »
I wouldn't do this "week away" thing for three entire school years, but my wife and I have discussed it as a possibility if I need to do a summer job in a city about two hours away.  That would only be for 10 weeks or so, and since she works from home it would be possible for her and my daughter to spend a least some time with me in the other city. I just couldn't stand to do it over the long haul, though.