Law School Discussion

any introverts out there?

any introverts out there?
« on: March 12, 2006, 09:03:47 PM »
I'm looking forward to law school (but I still have one more year of undergrad). The only thing that worries me is that I'm not much of a "people person"--I'm friendly, but if given the choice I stick to myself. I don't go out of my way to chat with people if I don't need something from them.

Are there any other introverts out there with legal aspirations? Do you think that an introverted personality is a disadvantage at law school and in legal careers? Are there certain legal specialties that you would recommend for an introvert?

Thanks!

halfjewhalfgoy

Re: any introverts out there?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 09:26:42 PM »
I consider myself an introvert and thats something im gonna try to adjust in law school.  My problem is not that im afraid to talk to people but i consider myself a serious student, thus, most the stuff i read for pleasure encompasses the stock market, business, and politics.  I'm a workout freak and healthnut so i never go out with the boys for drinks.

I plan to go into tax law and many lawyers I have spoken to said this is were many introverts practice, especially due to the fact you do more support work then bringing in clientss on your own.

redemption

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 09:31:52 PM »
Well, I'm an introvert - INFP, with a score of 73 on the I.

I'm going to law school (I think; if they accept me), and I'm not that worried about it. I wouldn't be if I were you - it strikes me that a lot of law study is spent alone in the library or at home, and much of most kinds of practice is also solitary. In fact, few careers outside the cloistered orders of the Catholic curch offer the possibilities for avoiding crowds as law does.

So, don't worry about it. Just make sure that you have really prepared for the LSAT and that you do your very best on it so that you can attend a school of your choosing and have as many career opportunities available for you to choose from as possible.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 09:51:04 PM »
it strikes me that a lot of law study is spent alone in the library or at home, and much of most kinds of practice is also solitary. In fact, few careers outside the cloistered orders of the Catholic curch offer the possibilities for avoiding crowds as law does.

Exactly.  There are definitely more introverts than extroverts in law and law school.

WarrenG

• Me
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 06:03:51 AM »
Check out this thread http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,56469.0.html .  The I's in the front stand for introverts, and as you can see most people are introverts.  Ideally, I think a law student should lean more towards the introverted side (as was mentioned before there is a lot of alone time studing and researching), but extroverted enough to make some connections.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 05:55:09 PM »
Being introverted does not mean being antisocial or socially awkward.  It just means you get your energy from within yourself or from a small group of people.  You have to be social to get places in the world.  Whereas extroverts derive their energy from such social interaction, introverts generally find it draining.  But that doesn't mean introverts cannot be social or are not good at it.

jorge

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 07:01:11 PM »
Well, I amsomewhat socially awkward (and an INFP as well). Not sweating it, really.

redemption

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 07:32:54 PM »
I'm in the misdt of overhauling my entire person from an introverted intellectual to a well-groomed, perpetually happy talking head.  I think it will help me to get farther in life and love.  I'm tired of being underestimated or talked down to or misunderstood.  In the real world that I've been exposed to, its not enough to be the goods, you have to appear to be the goods.  Unfortunately, dressing better, obsessively grooming, and wearing a smile have done much more for my respectability than natural intelligence and character.  The only way that I am appreciated for my good judgement and cerebral approach is to meet someone in the same vein.  Otherwise, people think I'm snotty, quiet, private, gloomy, mysterious, wierd, moody etc.  Now that I've written down this post I'm ashamed of myself, but my conclusions are 100% tried and true.  The world sux, and I'm just getting acclimated. 

The good news is that the distribution of such people is higher in law school and law practice than in the general population. Cause for optimism?

CBGB

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 07:56:02 PM »
Anyone else see the irony in this thread having 300 views and 10 replies?

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 08:03:38 PM »
*raises hand (er, wing)*