Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duquesne Law? Pros/Cons PLEASE help  (Read 4666 times)

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Duquesne Law? Pros/Cons PLEASE help
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 07:39:35 PM »
Thanks LL for getting us back on track.  Sorry to hijack your thread Mike.

Latinlord-Way to go on Indy!
Gordonma-You have some great options and I know its tough choice.  I hope I've helped some.
Erapitt-Sorry to bust your chops.  Good luck at GW!

No problem.  I have no problem with people busting my chops.  I tell it like it is and I know that sometimes offends people, but hey, its a discussion board.
Attending GW in Fall '06

Aerst2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2006, 10:51:03 PM »
My two cents about Duquesne: It's a great school in a great area. Most non-lawyers I talk to in Pittsburgh seem to think that Duquesne is ranked higher than Pitt. The few lawyers I know all hold Duquesne in high regard as well.

The Pittsburgh area is very nice in general, and inexpensive. The bus/trolley system is reliable, if not top-of-the-line. Housing is cheap - my current 1BR apartment  close to Pitt is $475/month. Many areas on the bus lines are even cheaper.

I hope to come back to Pittsburgh after going to school wherever I end up going.
165 / 3.94

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 11:23:59 PM »
My two cents about Duquesne: It's a great school in a great area. Most non-lawyers I talk to in Pittsburgh seem to think that Duquesne is ranked higher than Pitt. The few lawyers I know all hold Duquesne in high regard as well.

The Pittsburgh area is very nice in general, and inexpensive. The bus/trolley system is reliable, if not top-of-the-line. Housing is cheap - my current 1BR apartment  close to Pitt is $475/month. Many areas on the bus lines are even cheaper.

I hope to come back to Pittsburgh after going to school wherever I end up going.

:o $475/month for a 1 bedroom!! That's freakin' sweet!(especially compared to the places I've been looking at in Boston that go for ~$1100/month! :'() I'm definitely finding more and more that I like about Duq  :). I'm surprised some people think it's even higher than Pitt. I looked on Duq's site and they have a list of jobs offered through their Alumni base and there are some pretty good options- I even saw one offering in Brooklyn w/ a starting salary of ~$85k. There were a bunch of other Alumni postings in places outside of PA with good salaries so I'm just thrilled that Duq has a good rep and places its grads very well. Now all I need is for Duq to accept me :D (Mike I'm envious) Definitely looking forward to my visit next week.

P.S. I also hear they don't start classes til 10am....nuff said.

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2006, 03:00:40 AM »
Latin Lord, thanks so much for the words of encouragment... it really means a lot... i know you have heard it from hundreds of other people on here as well, but I was so happy you got in, let alone a tier 2! Im so happy for ya and with your motivation, i know you will graduate top of the class (make sure to put in a good word for me at your firm haha)

Lawschoolhopeful... im getting more and more intrigued and interested by Duquesne... i cant wait to visit and make a final decision. That cost of living is incredible though... im just worried if I can go from NYC life to Pitt life... this week will hopefully find out... and btw, what are your numbers? do you think you have a good shot? I really hope Ill see you there man if we both decide to go... we'll have to be top 2 of the class haha...

does anyone know anything about Duquesne's required classes? I heard they have an unusual amount compared to other schools? Do you guys think this is a good thing or a bad thing?

any other opinions?

thanks so much to everyone who has helped so far... your insight and opinions have really helped me in this stressful time...

thanks!

-Mike
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2006, 03:43:11 AM »
Hey Mike,

I sent you a pm. On the required classes, Duq's website shows these courses as being required courses you would take on top of electives during your 2L and 3L:

Basic Federal Income Taxation
Commercial Transactions I
Commercial Transactions II
Constitutional Law
Corporations
Evidence
Professional Responsibility

And of course you would take these during your 1L:

Contracts
Property
Torts
Civil Procedure I
Criminal Law and Procedure
Legal Research and Writing
Legal Process and Procedure

I don't think the required courses are of an unusual number- that amount seems pretty normal to me especially since you're splitting them up into 2 years so even with electives I feel like you'll be carrying a decent, "laid-back" workload. You should be fine.

HTH

laxerlager

• AOL Instant Messenger - LaxerLager
    • View Profile
    • Email
Duquesne and the throught process on why I'll probably go there.
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006, 04:16:37 PM »
So I've pretty much made up my mind on Duq.  I deposited yesterday, but not without some serious review and consideration.  I come from a family of lawyers, both parents went to Seton Hall Law actually (which I've not heard from, don't really have a shot, and felt that I never would before my deposit deadline at Duq. came around on April 1).  They are partners at big firms and run their respective practices within them.  Offices are in NYC, Jersey, Philly & Miami.  I have great realationships with a large number of the partners, and pretty much grew up in those offices. They all say that Duquesne is my best bet, has a strong Christian tradition (if that's important at all??), and they hire from that school (You can see where else I applied, I'm laxerlager on lawschoolnumbers too).  This much I gathered from my visit there in January, where virtually every person (including all the cabbies whose cabs I rode in) said that Duquesne was a great law school.  I am also doing the MBA there too which I've heard and read is a phenomenal program and has a great reputation in the northeast. 

Actually, because I said I was going to Duquesne, I've already landed a job for THIS SUMMER with a firm in Morristown, NJ as a "Summer Associate."  The firm is small, but they like Duq's rep and said that SHU, Rutgers and Duq were all fine schools.  Furthermore, I looked up all the major Pittsburgh firms on http://www.nalpdirectory.com/.  The salaries really aren't as low as people think they are out there in Pitt.  All the major firms not only visit and hire from Duq, but together they average a base of around $90-100K.   It's not New York or Boston (where I grew up and go to school now), but I can deal with that in the long run. 

All and all, I realize my portrayal of the school may seem a little biased since I'm pretty much going there, but at least I can share with those who are borderline some of the thought process that went into it.  I guess I could hold out for 'Cuse (where I am waitlisted), but the money spent to go there CAN'T actually be worth it, nor can Syracuse as a town.  Their finance office is budgeting like 55K+ for one year alone. Plus, they were in the same boat as Duq. was last year in the rankings.  Constructive criticism is welcomed, but my response may be very delayed since I am really never on this site. Good Luck.
-DK

law123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2006, 04:50:58 PM »
Assuming I get into Duquesne (154/3.5), I will have to decide between there and Syracuse (which I have alreaady been accepted to and am visiting next week).  Anyone have any advice?  Basically, tuition at Syracuse is about 13K more per year, although I don't know how either Duq or Syr is with grants.
What is the grading curve at Duquesne like?  Does anyone know how they place in Philly?  How are they about giving grants?  I noticed on LSN they seem to be taking a while to make decisions...I applied in early November.  Laxerlager said his seat deposit is due on April 1, should I assume that this date will be extended for those whom they accept in the coming days/weeks?

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2006, 01:44:14 AM »
Well... i just got back from visiting Duquesne for a few days...

and I think I will be seeing a lot more of Duquesne...

Im going to send in my deposit tomorrow. I loved the school. The law school was very homey and "law-firm-ish" as opposed to alot of schools like shu and rutgers which have more of an "industrial" type feel. The faculty all seemed very well educated and accessible. I spoke with a professor after sitting in on a Properties class and she seemed extremely approachable and helpful. In fact, she talked to and explained the class material over to about 6 or 7 students who had trouble following along after class which I thought was very interesting... the classes seem small as well, with the biggest class being roughly 70-75 people and a legal methods/writing class of 20. One class i saw only had 7 students haha. I came from a small school (seton hall) so having the small school atmosphere in law school is a welcome and beneficial trait. All the students I talked to loved the school, and specifically mentioned it in comparsion to UPitt. They said Pitt is easier, but Duquesne (they believe) teaches you to be more like a lawyer through practical methods instead of ONLY theoretically. All first year students actually have to present appelate briefs in march for a yearly grade against each other in competition format, regardless of the type of law one's interested in. Lastly, i learned Duq places extremely well not only in Pitt but around the surrounding area, ohio, philly, jersey, NY. (just to reaffirm this I talked with a friend of mine who is a professor at Seton Hall Law who actually knows a few judges and numerous attorneys from Duq in NJ)

As far as Pittsburgh... I loved the city. We went out to hit the bars on southside the first night. Never in my life have I seen that many bars it was crazy. It was the perfect city environment, but found it to be safe and friendly. Our second and last night we went to the Boardwalk in the Strip District (aptly named because its a strip of bars and nightclubs as opposed to the other assumed connotation haha). THis area was a lot of fun and I got the opportunity to talk with tons of Pitt Natives. Their impressions of Duquesne Law were nothing but the best, and many even thought it was better then Pitt. Even though I dont plan to participate in the nightlife being a law student, its nice to know its there and that there is always something to do if one is bored....

Bottom line, I arrived in Pitt weary, and left convinced. Unless some miracle happens with a few pending apps... i will def be at Duquesne University School of Law in the Fall...

if anyone has any questions... please dont hesitate to ask...

take care everyone!
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2006, 08:29:26 AM »
Glad to see you enjoyed my hometown.  Pittsburgh is a great place to be.  I have plenty of friends at Duq. law now so if you ever need any contacts let me know.  Enjoy your time there, it is a great city!
Attending GW in Fall '06

RootBrewskies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2006, 10:17:44 AM »
glad to see you enjoyed duq and pittsburgh.  the school is really nice and the facilities are quite impressive.  i decided not to attend duquesne and instead im going to drexel but i really did like duq.  the building and faculty seemed a little stuffy to me and i felt like i was at a 'law school'.  i also felt like the students and professors there were on a slightly different level and approachablility wasnt as easy was i would have liked it. 

that however, is only my opinion and maybe thats the atmosphere some people are looking for.  as for the reputation of the school i would say it is really great in pittsburgh, and its safe to say it is thought of as equal or better than pitt in most regards (definately by the general public it is thought of as a better school, however by lawyers the two schools are probably seen as equal). 

pittsburgh is a great city and you'll have a good time there.  low cost of living, great night life, and world class sports/arts/entertainment.  all in all i really would be happy to go to duquesne but i felt like drexel was the right place for me. 

and i do think drexel will go up in the rankings quickly, i do not think getting a job will be impossible, and i think that most of the people that are talking trash on the school have no idea how the program is even set up and how they are modifying legal education (for the better). 

good luck at duq.
(prepare to become a steelers fan)