Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duquesne Law? Pros/Cons PLEASE help  (Read 4514 times)

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
Duquesne Law? Pros/Cons PLEASE help
« on: March 12, 2006, 11:38:04 PM »
Well the decision needs to be made in 2 weeks, and Im leaning towards Duquesne, but could anybody give me any outside opinions about the school? All I know is what I read from viewbooks so Im clueless to outside opinions. I heard some people talk about Duq haveing tons of required classes? Also what is Duq specifically known for? Does it excel in anything? Has it always been a Tier 3? Think it will ever move down to a tier 4? I could use all the opinions and info i could get pleeeeeeeeeease... the decision needs t obe made soon and im stuck. Thanks so much!

-mike
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
Re: Duquesne Law? Pros/Cons PLEASE help
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 12:38:42 AM »
Well the decision needs to be made in 2 weeks, and Im leaning towards Duquesne, but could anybody give me any outside opinions about the school? All I know is what I read from viewbooks so Im clueless to outside opinions. I heard some people talk about Duq haveing tons of required classes? Also what is Duq specifically known for? Does it excel in anything? Has it always been a Tier 3? Think it will ever move down to a tier 4? I could use all the opinions and info i could get pleeeeeeeeeease... the decision needs t obe made soon and im stuck. Thanks so much!

-mike

What are your other choices???!! I applied to Duquesne also. Still haven't heard back yet, I am kinda concidering it mainly b/c it is in PA. Though I don't know, I'll probibly go to INDY anyway. Still not 100% sure what is going to happen. I am actally still praying for Dickinson to throw me a bone. lol I did heard that Duquese has a really nice law school. New facilities and stuff and i'm sure they have some leverage in PA. Hopefully there will be a change for the better in the new rankings next months. If your still not sure man, try and get the deposit money for a couple schools and decide later on. A few hundred dollars now is nothing compared to rushing a decision and making a wrong one. Good luck!
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

mjfpn6

• View Profile
    • m
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 08:45:35 AM »
Does anyone know why Duquesne hasn't pulled my report from LSAC.  It has been three weeks.  I'm kinda worried

dandlewood

• AOL Instant Messenger - bmojob
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 09:59:22 AM »
Does anyone know why Duquesne hasn't pulled my report from LSAC.  It has been three weeks.  I'm kinda worried

I'm in the same boat  :-\
Made: St Thomas, Florida Coastal
Kiss of Death:Miami, American, Rutgers, Villanova
Paying back the Loan Shark:
Pending: Nova, Widener, Temple, Florida State, Howard, Drexel, Dusquesne, Penn State

2006hereitcomes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 11:41:29 AM »
Hey, Duquesne is a good school but very regional. It is well respected throughout the area, but it has its primary concentration in western pa. Eastern and Central PA is loaded with schools, Drexel, Widener, Penn state, Villanova, Temple Penn, Widener Delaware. It is a good school. I know some big firms recruit and hire their first hand. Like anything else its based on performance. If you don't mind cities then its great. I it does place really well in the area, and is respected, bnt outside the area it has stiff competition. It places in west virginia pretty well too. depend what your looking for, kind of wish I applied.

Godd luck

corbabe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 11:55:29 AM »
I agree with 2006, and the rest of the posts.  The firm I work for now in Pittsburgh has hired a few Duquesne grads, but hires mostly Pitt grads.  Duquesne has a great rep in the city.  Most people around here think Duquesne is better than Pitt.  I would say it is a very solid school especially if you want to work in Pittsburgh and can't get into Pitt.  However if I had my choice I would def go to Pitt over Duquesne.  I know about 10 or so people who go to Duquesne and haven't heard anyone say anything negative about the school.  I am not sure how many firms interview on campus, but I know that the largest firms in Pittsburgh interview on campus there.  Also the editor of the Law review at Duquesne is working for Reed, Smith after she graduates, and they are the top firm in the area.  HTH...also I am still waiting to hear from Duquesne and am definitly considering it

esant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 03:33:27 PM »
Just sent my app to Duquesne at the end of February and they requested my lsdas report today.

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 06:23:01 PM »
Mike, for what it's worth you can check out a virtual tour of the school at ecampustours.com- Duquesne didn't have much in the way of photos on their webpage. I would also check out campustours.com for a link to videos (rather old and short- each being like 30secs long and they're from the early 90's :-\). Like I said before, I'm visiting next week so I'll be more than happy to pm you a review. Good luck with decisions...

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 01:08:00 AM »
lawschoolhopeful, thanks for the info... im actually going to visit next week as well to tour the school and sit in on a properties class... id still be interested in your impressions of the school, and id be happy to offer my own... so are you pretty much set on Duq?

latinlord, my other choices right now are Duq, Drexel, Pace, and Widener... ive narrowed it down to the first three, but each has there own pros and cons and i cant even decide... duq is cheap, but in pitt, a place i know nothing about, and pace is expensive but like 30 mins from home in my tri state area... and drexels scholarship is so tempting, but there non acedidation is a problem.... so you see where i am running into a tough decision haha...

everyone else, thanks so much for the input... its so tough since i know nothing really about pittsburgh... it sounds like its a nice city with some good job opps, but i dunno if i wanna live the rest of my life there ya know? ill miss nyc and the jersey shore haha... any other input guys?
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 04:57:41 AM »
Mike, yea Duq is pretty much my top choice at the moment even though I have 8 applications still pending (I have a reach school so I'll probably hold out if I get a miracle and get in there but even then I'd still have to weigh the two against each other). Yea I'd like to also get your impressions of the school after your visit- it'll give me more to think about. I totally see where you're coming from with the whole Pittsburgh thing, I'm from around NYC myself and I kind of have my sights set on working in the city so if I do go to Duq, I'll have to feel it out after a year and see if I want to stick it out there and do really well on the off chance that I can get a job in/around NYC or just transfer out to a school that places better in NY. I dunno, we'll see- not sure at the moment. I just heard from Widener yesterday but I don't think I'll be going there as their curve is horrendous so thats out. I have yet to hear from Drexel and part of me wants to wait for a response from them because that money is DEFINITELY tempting and even if they don't become aba approved it won't be TOO bad to be "stuck" in philly after graduation- I hear their rep in the area is great but that's for their other programs so you never know. I imagine getting a good job in philly shouldn't be too hard. Again, it is taking a chance but I've been reading more and more that becoming provisionally accredited is really not that hard so again who knows?