Law School Discussion

The 'this LSD member is just an arrogant jerk ' thread

norcaldude

Re: The 'this LSD member is just an arrogant jerk ' thread
« Reply #180 on: April 12, 2006, 12:29:55 PM »
you don't live in cali.  try adding in 9.3% state tax, on top of the 28% federal bracket.  then add in junk taxes associated with living in the city gets you up to an even 40%.

you should be saving 20% pretax.  most people I know who don't live in the city get by on less, saving about 40% pretax.  affords a small condo after 2-3 yrs of work that way if you're not going to law school.

likewise

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 12, 2006, 12:36:02 PM »
you don't live in cali.  try adding in 9.3% state tax, on top of the 28% federal bracket.  then add in junk taxes associated with living in the city gets you up to an even 40%.

you should be saving 20% pretax.  most people I know who don't live in the city get by on less, saving about 40% pretax.  affords a small condo after 2-3 yrs of work that way if you're not going to law school.

So, what you're really saying ia that the tax rate would be 66 to 68%.  You're also adding that you seem to know folks that operate in an entirely different realm than 99.5% of people in their 20s and save 20 to 40% of their income. Most of the college grads I know in their 20s are lucky if they even contribute to their 401Ks.

My roommate raises a family of four on 33K per year, NorCal.  33K.  And he still takes his three young ones for a movie and ice cream once a week.  Have you ever worked a REAL job and not lived at Mom's house?

norcaldude

« Reply #182 on: April 12, 2006, 12:59:25 PM »
Have you ever worked a REAL job and not lived at Mom's house?

I have worked a REAL job, part-time.  In fact, I paid for my entire college expenses (without any financial aid).  When I was making decent money over the summers, I paid rent to my parents.  My savings aren't spectacular, but they should cover almost one semester of law school tuition if I go that route.  I'm not exactly planning to move out for a while, simply because I'd rather pay rent to my parents while I'm not married. 

And you can't raise a family on $33k here whatsoever.  With all the opportunity somebody has as an American, if they didn't need to support anybody early on, and didn't emigrate here without English, (which I'd assume your roommate at Temple didn't) raising a family on $33k now is disgraceful.

norcaldude

« Reply #183 on: April 12, 2006, 01:07:32 PM »
Get a life.  That may help you get a girlfriend and allow you to spend time doing something other than putting down LSDers.

Have gf.  Quite pretty for an ugly guy like me if I may say.  Bored in classes taken to improve chances at LS, will live at home if I get into Boalt, yes.  Might move out and get a room for $500 if I can't find a job closer to home, right now my offer is too far to commute.  Not sure my little brother can get into Berkeley, somebody's going to have to cover his tuition elsewhere.

« Reply #184 on: April 12, 2006, 01:08:55 PM »
raising a family on $33k now is disgraceful.

Did you read this before you hit post???  Who died and made you the monetary judge of everyone else.  33k is fine if you know how to live within your means.  Good god you need to get out, spread your wings and learn a bit more about the real world before you start judging people based up on what they make. Do you really know what groceries cost and how to fix healthy meals for cheap? How about goodwill, ever been in one? You can find NICE clothes for super cheap if you just look a little. The library, coupons, free events...the list goes on and on with stuff to cut costs.

Before I just thought you arrogant but now...

« Reply #185 on: April 12, 2006, 01:10:25 PM »
Get a life.  That may help you get a girlfriend and allow you to spend time doing something other than putting down LSDers.

Have gf.  Quite pretty for an ugly guy like me if I may say.  Bored in classes taken to improve chances at LS, will live at home if I get into Boalt, yes.  Not sure my little brother can get into Berkeley, somebody's going to have to cover his tuition elsewhere.

you just keep on setting yourself up for more man. just be a nice guy damnit.

anyways:

In my situation, a Google search would turn up hundreds of hits that are unmistakably me and a Nexis search would turn up dozens more, but the certainty comes from the fact that the hits are all associated with items on my resume. In your case, the same name, race, and state is not enough to go on, no matter how unique your name is.  Besides, unless your doppelganger has done some very embarassing things, I wouldn't worry about it in any case.

situation: op asks if adcomms google ppl's names.
action: doesnt really say much and only enough to suck his own c*ck.

discuss.

norcaldude

« Reply #186 on: April 12, 2006, 01:16:31 PM »
LOL!

Of course you CAN live off $33k.  If you live in a city, and are barely getting by on $33k after having every opportunity to succeed, you have failed miserably somewhere along the line, with a few exceptions (live in extremely low COL area, or have good reason to be making $33k).  "I'm an English major working as a secretary" just doesn't cut it.

This is not to rag on all English majors, there are those doing PI work, and those who put their heads on a swivel and get by just fine after college.

redemption

« Reply #187 on: April 12, 2006, 01:20:19 PM »

<------- English major, getting by  :)

« Reply #188 on: April 12, 2006, 01:24:36 PM »
anyways:

In my situation, a Google search would turn up hundreds of hits that are unmistakably me and a Nexis search would turn up dozens more, but the certainty comes from the fact that the hits are all associated with items on my resume. In your case, the same name, race, and state is not enough to go on, no matter how unique your name is.  Besides, unless your doppelganger has done some very embarassing things, I wouldn't worry about it in any case.

situation: op asks if adcomms google ppl's names.
action: doesnt really say much and only enough to suck his own c*ck.

discuss.

You're not following your own rules; that's only one quote.

thats true. well than its come to this. i nominate myself.

JaimeNina

« Reply #189 on: April 12, 2006, 01:31:06 PM »
Here's the main problem I have with you Norcaldude:

You are telling people who are REALLY living off of a certain budget to ignore what their own quality of life demonstrates to them and instead accept your HYPOTHETICAL assessment of what it must be to live like them, as if you are an expert on these things even though you know nothing of the real world and have had a couple part-time jobs and live with your parents.