Law School Discussion

The 'this LSD member is just an arrogant jerk ' thread

redemption

Re: The 'this LSD member is just an arrogant jerk ' thread
« Reply #160 on: April 11, 2006, 02:46:27 PM »
Fair enough. But you should know that people have weighed their options more carefully that it may seem at first glance; that they find advice of the kind you're handing out hard to take, especially if it was phrased poorly; and that different people, in any case, have different priorities in life.  :)

Thanks for the CLS congrats. I hope that you get good news in what's left of the cycle.

Possibly.  Just as the math teacher I know who left Wall Street.  Still not sure why, he was set to make $300k one year removed from UG (guy's a genius).  But it just seems to me that most people go into law expecting it to be a positive impact on their lifetime income (besides all the other things), and most of the time it isn't.

Thanks.  I'm done for this cycle.  Higher GPA + considering applying ED to NU next semester cycle let me in.  How hard is it to transfer to UChicago from elsewhere (NU specifically, since I'm considering ED), if you know?  Main reason I'm strongly considering NU is that I want to go to UChicago for 2L and 3L so I can take some of their infamous econ grad courses without fear of being kicked out of school (well, law school at least, heh).

Not sure about the NU to Chicago transfer option. The problem with transferring is that you really have to be in the top 5% or so of your class to swing it, and predicting where one will rank is a very tricky business.

« Reply #161 on: April 11, 2006, 03:02:12 PM »
I'm just finding it amusing that you've got all this TALK, yet you've been rejected by EVERY school to which you applied.    Got a little itty bitty weenie syndrome, do ya?

as I deserved to be.  and props to everybody who got in to those schools.  but I'm not going to ruin my life going to a second-rate law school to make what I can outta UG, with no loans to boot.  I don't understand why anybody would.  i'm not bitter, just mildly curious as to how people can justify these decisions.  weenie syndrome, btw, if you're referring Aesop, is where you justify "not having what you can't have", quite unlike "not taking what you can have".

and I've got my offers for cubemeat, at a salary you'd call me a liar for if I told you.

I find it funny that you have to justify your existence by telling everyone you could have gone to so and so school, have offers from this and that and are making all sorts of 'f-you' money. and the 'ruin your life by going to a 2nd rate law school' comment....you make this too easy! its funny how I know nothing about you, and you know absolutely nothing about anyone on this board, yet you are quick to demean anyone's existence if they decide to enroll in a school that a magazine has deemed not good enough.

So to you norcaldude i say Cheers! see you in hell!

« Reply #162 on: April 11, 2006, 05:33:56 PM »
Dressing personal dsappointment up as honest curiosity or concern for others is sorta irritatiing.

boohoo, I don't get to go to law school straight outta UG.  whatever. 

I've had long discussions with my friend at a lower T1 about this (a poli sci major, no less).  The way he justifies it is that his parents are footing the bill, and he's having fun, and even if he screws up, he's got at least a crappy but fun $90k job in the DAs office thanks to connections.  So he'll have a living wage, and do what he enjoys.

If my parents were footing the bill, I might do the same.  In the post in the other forum, you saw the quite common end result of somebody at a T1.  Look at the resumes on craigslist.  People should realize this before they undertake law school.

I would be interested in a survey of law school grads at age 50, broken down by school rank and percentile of class they graduated in, that simply asked: if you had to do it all over again, would you go to law school?

It is true that all lawyers from schools outside the top 14 schools are failures.

why is it t14 and not t16 or t5? 14 seems like an arbitrary number to me.

JaimeNina

« Reply #163 on: April 11, 2006, 05:37:57 PM »
norcaldude, I don't know where you went to undergrad or anything, but are you saying that your expected salary as a first year lawyer from a low T1 school is less than what YOU PERSONALLY will be making 1st year out of undergrad? Even counting 3 years of raises (which you haven't gotten yet since you're still in school, and can't accurately predict) I imagine you'd be making more as a first year lawyer.  Also, your statement that 60K a year is "barely a living wage" in norcal really shows your inexperience in living in the real world. I live in a killer (although small) apartment at a coveted location in downtown SF, making 45k a year, and I pay rent, eat and drink out every day, have a car, a gym membership, and a 401k. Perhaps you just don't have the experience to make some of these statements, because you seem to be pulling them out of your ass.

norcaldude

« Reply #164 on: April 11, 2006, 06:16:25 PM »
norcaldude, I don't know where you went to undergrad or anything, but are you saying that your expected salary as a first year lawyer from a low T1 school is less than what YOU PERSONALLY will be making 1st year out of undergrad? Even counting 3 years of raises (which you haven't gotten yet since you're still in school, and can't accurately predict) I imagine you'd be making more as a first year lawyer.  Also, your statement that 60K a year is "barely a living wage" in norcal really shows your inexperience in living in the real world. I live in a killer (although small) apartment at a coveted location in downtown SF, making 45k a year, and I pay rent, eat and drink out every day, have a car, a gym membership, and a 401k. Perhaps you just don't have the experience to make some of these statements, because you seem to be pulling them out of your ass.

if I were to finish at median in law school, as I finished in undergrad, in today's salary range I have a similar or higher salary out of ug than I world from a T1 as a lawyer, yes.  if you consider loans for law school, even amortized over 30 yrs, then hands down I'll be making more now.  as you move up the class, so does your salary, of course.  assuming I finished even in the 21%, I'd be making around $90k as a lawyer, minus loans.  Which is still less than the median out of my major I'd presume, for three years WE.  Remember, a law degree from a low T1 is terminal...

$63k is off the HUD website as the ceiling for qualifying for HOUSING ASSISTANCE (i.e. just enough to live off), feel free to double-check yourself.  see here: low income is $63350 in the city.

I was making $45k annualized as an intern, although without the 401k and health you probably have, but still.  I'm actually considering taking a pre-PhD job that pays a little less.  I really don't see how I can afford to live off that unless I live at home, or live paycheck to paycheck.

pandabones

« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2006, 06:31:01 PM »

if I were to finish at median in law school, as I finished in undergrad, in today's salary range I have a similar or higher salary out of ug than I world from a T1 as a lawyer, yes.  if you consider loans for law school, even amortized over 30 yrs, then hands down I'll be making more now.  as you move up the class, so does your salary, of course.  assuming I finished even in the 21%, I'd be making around $90k as a lawyer, minus loans.  Which is still less than the median out of my major I'd presume, for three years WE.  Remember, a law degree from a low T1 is terminal...

$63k is off the HUD website as the ceiling for qualifying for HOUSING ASSISTANCE (i.e. just enough to live off), feel free to double-check yourself.  see here: low income is $63350 in the city.

I was making $45k annualized as an intern, although without the 401k and health you probably have, but still.  I'm actually considering taking a pre-PhD job that pays a little less.  I really don't see how I can afford to live off that unless I live at home, or live paycheck to paycheck.

Just because you can qualify for some HUD programs does not mean that you have "just enough to live off" of.  I am sure a single person can live a pretty good lifestyle on $63k - even in San Francisco.  63k is double the per capita median income.

« Reply #166 on: April 11, 2006, 06:46:22 PM »
oh norcaldude, you make this thread fun.

norcaldude

« Reply #167 on: April 11, 2006, 06:52:42 PM »
oh norcaldude, you make this thread fun.

ty.  if this law school thing doesn't pan out next year, I'll probably end up at UChicago with like-minded future economists.  another libertarian economist in an ivory tower somewhere or other.  (yes, I do have the econ grades to get in  ;D)

JaimeNina

« Reply #168 on: April 11, 2006, 08:08:20 PM »

Just because you can qualify for some HUD programs does not mean that you have "just enough to live off" of.  I am sure a single person can live a pretty good lifestyle on $63k - even in San Francisco.  63k is double the per capita median income.

So you don't currently have a job offer for after graduation, and are looking at taking an offer that pays less than $45K your first year in the real world, but think that after 3 years and no graduate education you will be making more than $90K? Good luck with that one... ::)

norcaldude

« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2006, 08:24:34 PM »
So you don't currently have a job offer for after graduation, and are looking at taking an offer that pays less than $45K your first year in the real world, but think that after 3 years and no graduate education you will be making more than $90K? Good luck with that one... ::)

I currently have an offer for ~$70k.  I'm trying to GET a pre-PhD position that pays less than $45k.  I'm also looking to see somebody up me to market ($75k).  If I take the cash I will hopefully be up to six figures after bonus, if I get a job at the Fed I will be in grad school (somewhere) in 3 years.