Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official I'm Going to X School Thread  (Read 162077 times)

ecureuil

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Official I'm Going to X School Thread
« Reply #630 on: July 27, 2008, 10:17:54 PM »
Stanford

ColvilleWA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 31, 2008, 11:03:44 PM »
Hawaii  :)

lilly22

• Washington & Lee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 07, 2008, 11:58:45 AM »
Washington & Lee, baby!

Seano

• What I'm Doing It For
    • View Profile
    • My Videos - To waste some time...
« Reply #633 on: August 07, 2008, 04:35:43 PM »
Seton Hall
Seton Hall University School of Law - Class of '11

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 08, 2008, 07:42:47 PM »
Seton Hall

with those stats, may i ask why seton hall??

Seano

• What I'm Doing It For
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 08, 2008, 08:10:59 PM »
I took the June '08 LSAT and Seton Hall sent an invitation to apply for open seats this year instead of waiting for next year.  My job was unstable; 80% of my dept. was laid off two months ago (I've been out out of school for 9 years).  SHU Law is about 10 minutes from my house, and I can take the bus, so we won't have to buy another car.  They offered a full scholarship, specifically a public interest scholarship that includes networking and other opportunities.  I have a 1-year-old and my wife is in grad school, so the chance to be closer to home is a big plus.  It'll cut down on child care costs, plus I'll see them more often.  And to finish without debt and before my daughter starts school is a good thing too.  I was looking at Columbia, NYU and Penn as my top 3 for next year, but it's hard to turn down a full ride a year early just to see what happens with those schools next year. By the numbers, I'd probably be middle of the pack at one of those three, so that kind of scholarship seemed unlikely. When they offered, I visited, asked a whole lot of questions, and it seemed like a good fit.  I do sort of wonder how I would have done applying to the very top, but when this door opened, I just had to go through.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 08, 2008, 08:13:16 PM »
I took the June '08 LSAT and Seton Hall sent an invitation to apply for open seats this year instead of waiting for next year.  My job was unstable; 80% of my dept. was laid off two months ago (I've been out out of school for 9 years).  SHU Law is about 10 minutes from my house, and I can take the bus, so we won't have to buy another car.  They offered a full scholarship, specifically a public interest scholarship that includes networking and other opportunities.  I have a 1-year-old and my wife is in grad school, so the chance to be closer to home is a big plus.  It'll cut down on child care costs, plus I'll see them more often.  And to finish without debt and before my daughter starts school is a good thing too.  I was looking at Columbia, NYU and Penn as my top 3 for next year, but it's hard to turn down a full ride a year early just to see what happens with those schools next year. By the numbers, I'd probably be middle of the pack at one of those three, so that kind of scholarship seemed unlikely. When they offered, I visited, asked a whole lot of questions, and it seemed like a good fit.  I do sort of wonder how I would have done applying to the very top, but when this door opened, I just had to go through.

still not worth it to go there.  go to freaking harvard or yale so you can do whatever you want with your career and have more freedom.  even if you don't want to do T14 dude to debt, you can get a full scholarship to a much better school than Seton

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 08, 2008, 09:06:25 PM »

still not worth it to go there.  go to freaking harvard or yale so you can do whatever you want with your career and have more freedom.  even if you don't want to do T14 dude to debt, you can get a full scholarship to a much better school than Seton

this is what i hate about this freakin' board...the idea that no T14 = no happiness in life!  screw everyone who thinks this. 

disclaimer:  i know, i know...i can see the replies coming..."yes, but, the T14 does afford more opportunities, and allows oneself to avial themselves of any number of opportunities that a T2..."  i get it.  i know.  i think seton hall guy knows too...  sometimes there are more important things than career options, money, and academic prestige.

h2xblive

« Reply #638 on: September 21, 2008, 06:35:03 PM »

... sometimes there are more important things than career options, money, and academic prestige...

Like what?  ???

Love!  :D

Seano

• What I'm Doing It For
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 21, 2008, 07:50:06 PM »
I already have- and she married me while I was a broke actor. It's because of her and our baby girl that I'd rather get home at a reasonable hour than commute into NYC every day just to go to a T14, not to mention get done a year early.  I'm not knocking those schools; obviously they provide a tremendous educational opportunity.  But I've been in law school for 1 month, and what I'm realizing is that more than in any other level of my academic experience, you teach yourself the bulk of the material.  And the material is the same at every school.  The faculty may vary a bit, but all of my teachers went to Columbia and NYU, so what's the difference?  That guy that chimed in earlier about how I'm wasting my time - I'll be happy to meet you in a courtroom or across a table some day.  We'll see if your school's ranking helps.