Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: application regrets...  (Read 1333 times)

alexdn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN:
Re: application regrets...
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 07:08:37 PM »
Yale- I almost certainly wouldn't have gotten in, but I guess it was worth a shot. 
Decision made: Harvard Law School '09 (or '10 if I defer)

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 07:11:14 PM »
I wish I hadn't applied to Stanford or Columbia.  I never would've went to either, for various reasons.  Would've saved roughly $160 and some valuable time.

Officer Rod Farva

• Sr. Citizen
  • FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 07:20:24 PM »
I definitely regret having applied so late in the cycle. UVA let in a number of people with similar stats as mine this year, and I'm in-state, so I had a pretty good shot, I think. They sent some LSD'er an email recently saying that they're pretty much full and that pretty much everyone can expect a ding or waitlist.
LSD saved my life.

redemption

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 07:24:03 PM »
I would have applied next cycle to give myself more time (and more savvy about the applications process) to write statements that I could be proud of, rather than statements that are merely adequate.

piggy-buttercup

• Sr. Citizen
  • hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 08:26:51 PM »
1) Not taking the June LSAT. me too!
2) Having a heart, which resulted in sleeping 4 hours the night before the LSAT. 2 hours for me.  :'(
3) Not retaking the LSAT. yes, that too. a girl I knew retook her 170 and got 175 - not that I could pull that off  :D
4) Getting sick the week before the LSAT (still was sick like a hamster on the day)
5) Applying to too many schools that I didn't even have much intentions to go to.. wasted app. fees. arg.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2006, 11:42:21 PM »
I guess I should have applied to the 7-14 ranked schools in the hope of getting some $$$ from them, so I could negotiate with my top choice... on the other hand, I liked having fewer schools to deal with, and saving on the application fees.

Other regrets:
-not taking more LSAT practice tests... didn't even do ONE under real testing conditions
-not finding LSD earlier (then I would have known my LSAT prep was insufficient)
-not doing my applications over the summer
-not sending in Dean's Certification and recommendation forms at the earliest possible moment (thus causing me a ridiculous amount of stress, since my school took TWO MONTHS to get out my DC)

Things I'm happy about:
-taking the LSAT the year before I applied... saved myself a lot of stress there
-finding LSD!
-meeting LSDers in real life ... it's nice to have a group that actually WANTS to hear about your law school obsessing  :)
-the decision to go to law school
I am officially a law school graduate : )

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2006, 12:10:58 AM »
i regret that i did not have the money to apply to all the schools i wanted.  i was so concerned with getting in that i neglected to apply to all the schools that i truly wanted to.  i really should have applied to every school in the 30-50 range.  i think that i would have had a good shot at indiana and wisconsin.  i also wish now that i had applied to both rutgers campuses.  it sucks being broke. 

i regret not knowing you could request financial fee-waivers from schools directly.  lsac denied my request for a fee-waiver.  who knew paying for your lsat would keep you from getting fee-waivers? 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

kree

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ures0lastsummer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 07:32:43 AM »
i kind of regret applying to a lot of schools w/ free applications haha. i wish i had saved some of those $12 lsac fees to apply to tulane.

and that i had taken last summer off just to study for the lsat instead of doing 1000 things at once!
sunny: ave maria $$, drexel $$$, catholic, wvu, hofstra, drake $$
rainy: american, uf, george mason, northeastern, miami
cloudy: pittsburgh, tenn, penn state, pacific (wd), loyola chicago, stetson
still forecasting: unlv, santa clara

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=krysr

magnumalv

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2006, 09:22:50 AM »
1. doing poorly on my Dec LSAT bc I wasn't really ready
2. sending out too many apps to schools that i don't really want to go to (W&M, Boston, etc.)
3. wish i had more ECs
4. wish i could edit my PS & diversity essay some more

Things I'm glad about, tho:
1. Retaking in Feb even tho everyone said I shouldn't & that it wouldn't make a difference (I think it has... boosted my self-confidence, at the very least)
2. Finding LSD and getting to know the app process really well
3. Sticking to my own personal preferences rather than being swayed by the rankings tide
4. actually submitting my apps before the deadline. that's a first.

littlealligator

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 01:07:27 AM »
I wish I had applied to Vandy..There is absolutely NO chance of getting in, but I wish that I had at least tried one absoulte huge stretch for me. Plus, I am practically a Vandy UG student since I am there more than my real school since my boyfriend goes there. I know I wouldnt have gotten it, but sometimes even negative attention is still attention, right?

Also, I wish I hadnt applied to so many out of state schools. I tried to chose schools close to my boyfriends' picks for med school, and I ended up spending too much money on apps that I really had no drive to attend them

and of course, I regret the LSAT as a whole.