UConn (no $)
7 (53.8%)
Syracuse (17k(
6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Deciding based on basketball?

Deciding based on basketball?
« on: March 12, 2006, 02:35:12 PM »
So I got into UConn last night, after watching my boys at 'Cuse run all over everyone this past week! Now, do I really have a touch decision or not? I've already done alot of thinking and planning about Syracuse and am visiting this coming April. They also are offering a deans scholarship, which makes tuiton roughly 15k a year. UConn, however, after 1 year changes to instate (in theory) and then becomes 15k.

My question is thus: take UConn, a better school?, with no money but overall a cheaper school (minus year 1L) or Syracuse, where I've been assuming I would go and have a deans scholarship??

As a postscript: rankings are important, but not the be all end all - would Uconn be considered better in its legal market, vs syracuse at bottom of its? Does Syracuse name travel further than UConn?

Thanks!

Goodfella Aaron

Re: Deciding based on basketball?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 02:40:17 PM »
Everyone in CT respects the UConn name. I'm not sure how far it'd carry up the Mass Pike to Boston or down the Merritt to NYC but since Yale grads have bigger fish to fry it's only UConn and Quinnipiac that are in-state schools placing people in-state. So if you want to live in CT UConn is a good choice.

And that game was a fluke. UConn had their eyes on the real prize, McNamara was playing out of his mind and for some reason I can't comprehend they didn't foul on the last play in which case game over UConn advances.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 03:08:59 PM »
Well I agree that it was not UConn's biggest game so they were not quite there and did not need to be...still, as it goes in football, resting players/playing half-hearted during end of season sometimes comes back to bite you--but since I know nothing about bball I will keep my mouth shut.

As for serious topic - I agree completely. Tough thing is that I dont know exactly where I will end up--east coast for sure, but I dont care if its north or south. I'm into international law and always have been a fan of international affairs/diplomacy and the like. DC is where I would love to end up someday, but I dont need to be able to get there right out of LS. I dont think either would hurt my career, its just a matter of which one finesses it the best....

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 07:18:42 AM »
a bump for the sake of maybe some opinions from, say, Uconn hopefulls?

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 02:16:44 PM »
Lol. Actually, I am not a big fan of basketball, well except for Detroit Basketball!. I am a football fan, in which case Syracuse ends up being the best...oy.

laurrk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 04:10:23 PM »
I don't know about using basketball to decide on a law school, but if it is just a *sign* then that's okay. Let me explain: I was deciding between Syracuse and Case, and I was leaning towards Syracuse even though Case is ranked higher (same ranking as UCONN). So I flipped a coin, and Syracuse won, and now I will be mailing my seat deposit to Syracuse tomorrow. I see the coin toss as an omen that merely reinforces a decision that I had basically already made. Maybe Syracuse's basketball performance is YOUR sign.

Oh yeah, I got into UCONN too, but I'm still going with Syracuse.

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 05:05:33 PM »
What attracts you so much to syracyse? and yes, the basketball was just a way of attracting people to the thread. i could care less about basketball, though uconn and 'cuse have decent teams...well uconn has one of the best, but....

laurrk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 05:33:09 PM »
I picked Syracuse for a lot of reasons. First of all, I got a sizable scholarship offer ($27,800). I also got a really good feeling from my visit. I only stayed for a few hours, just long enough for a tour of the law school buildings and to sit in on a first-year class, but somehow I walked away with a really good impression. Also, I have family in the area (my grandmother, for one, plus a bunch of more distant relatives). And the cost of living seems very reasonable. Apartments in the area are cheaper than what I'm used to where I live now, plus should I decide to stay in the area it seems like houses are very affordable, too.

Why not Case? I just found out today that I got a $20,000 scholarship there, but it's not enough to override my overall negative feelings about the school. For starters, the law school website stinks (outdated, lacking some potentially helpful info, etc.). A minor thing perhaps, but it seems like a  law school ought to be able to update their website from time to time. I just visited Case over the weekend, and while I was trying to set up my visit I had a hard time with the law school admissions staff. One day last week I was completely unable to get through via phone - there was a recorded message that the phone system was down. Then I finally spoke to someone the next day, and she said she would e-mail some detailed info about visiting, and she never did. She also did not respond to my e-mail. I also e-mailed the generic admissions e-mail address, and after responding to their questions no one e-mailed me the info I needed. And the real kicker was, when I showed up for my tour, I was initially misdirected to the undergrad admissions office. Those people were very helpful and tried to call the law school admissions, but no one answered the phone. So I do not have a very high impression of the Case law school admissions people.

The tour was okay, but the tour guide was less than ideally knowledgeable. I asked about the parking situation (how much? how close?), but she had no idea. And apparently parking IS an issue, as I later read in one of the Case publications how the SBA was trying to secure more parking spaces for law students because they were forced to use a lot some distance from the school that was not in the best neighborhood. And apparently the shuttle only ran until 10PM, which seems very early to me.

And that brings me to the city itself. My boyfriend and I went for a drive around Cleveland and Case, and we discovered that Case (and the law school building in particular) is really close to some horrible neighborhoods. I think we stumbled into East Cleveland or something like that, and it was horrific. So I am not too enthused about the idea of being so close to such a bad area of Cleveland. Not that the rest of the city really impressed me, either.

On the positive side, my boyfriend (who is a 3L) was really impressed with the first-year class that we sat in on (Civil Procedure). And it is a higher-ranked school than Syracuse. But I am happy with my decision to go to Syracuse. I think that I'll be able to do better at Syracuse, and thus have a better shot at clinics and externships. Also, the CaseArc program at Case seems like a major pain. One year of legal reading and writing sounds like plenty, thanks.

All in all, I think that Syracuse is the better choice for me.  And I am not interested in UCONN because (A) I haven't gotten any money from them; and (B) I did not enjoy the few semesters I spent at UCONN for undergrad, so I just have a bad taste in my mouth about them.

I'm not sure if any of this was helpful, but if you have any questions about either of my visits just let me know. 

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 06:38:19 PM »
wow. thanks for the super informative post! I am also waiting to hear back from case, but unless it was a full ride I would take my syracuse over case. is that scholarahip per year, or was that the total potential offer? deans/chancellors? I'll have to decide sometime soon between Uconn and syracuse - i know neither will be bad and neither is a HYS. but, that being said, i still want to make the best decision for me. hope everything turns out well for you.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 06:52:23 PM »
I must admit, I am suprised to read the post above (well two up from me). Case was really helpful when I asked for a tour and to meet with some people, they are actually willing to meet with me on Saturday because my schedule is a bit crazy. Also, I've got to say, I really like their website, it is one of the better ones I've seen. It seems to have a lot of information and a lot of links. In addition, they seem to always have something going on (guest speakers, etc.). In fact, their website depresses me because the University of Pittsburgh (the school I'm leaning toward) has such a lack of information.

I got accepted to Syracuse as well, and I really really want the school to be my top choice (they are offering a large scholarship, others are not). However, I walked away from the school with, not a bad feeling...but not a good feeling. I thought the campus was incredible, but I was not impressed with the law building (library, etc.) Also, I could not escape the feeling that Syracuse was in the middle of nowhere. On another note, the actually city of Syracuse is a lot nicer then I thought it would be. It has many cool bars, music stores, coffee shops, and seems like overall a pretty decent area.

Congrats on your acceptences, good luck with your decisions.

Oh and feel free to try and convince me why Syracuse is the better choice (over Case and PITT), I really would like to be able to go to the school that is giving me the money.
Thanks.