Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How long did you study for the LSAT?  (Read 1045 times)

TST

• View Profile
How long did you study for the LSAT?
« on: March 11, 2006, 02:15:22 PM »
I'd like to get a feel for how long (months, hours per week, whatever) people studied before taking the LSAT.

Past searches are showing people studying for 8 months, other studying 4 hours a day, ect!

I'm scheduled to take in June and just started this week. Plus I work 25 hours/week and have to study to keep up my GPA as well.

I need some assurance here!

matrix

• View Profile
Re: How long did you study for the LSAT?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 02:25:08 PM »
I haven't started studying yet, but I'm concidering taking the LSAT in October 2007 in which case I'd start studying this summer. I'm about to finish school in a couple of months and after that I've got over a twelve months period in which I wouldn't have to study for anything else but the LSAT.

I guess though, that's not quite the kind of assurance you expected  ;)

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 04:20:13 PM »
I started studying two months prior to the date I had signed up for the LSAT. I found that two months was just not enough time to get closer to the score that I was aiming for. So, I postponed and took another two months to study.

I know one person who only studied for one month and ended up with a score in the mid-170's. She is a genius and an exception, in my opinion.

My advice is to give yourself plenty of time to prepare, at least six months. For example, if you are signing up for the June 2006 test, and you start now, you will have about 4-1/2 months to prepare. However, if you feel as you get closer to the date that you need more time, then postpone to October 2006.

The main thing is to get the basics down. The books that are mostly recommended are the Powerscore Bibles, there is one for Logical Reasoning (approx 50-52 questions out of 100-101 questions) and one for the Analytical Reasoning (games).

Most people cannot digest that much material in a short time. Some people prepare in two months, but it is a challenge to learn how to approach the different sections and to learn the test and to get good at it when you are taking the sections under timed conditions.

Hope this helps.

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

3blindmice

• girl is FIRE in concert...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 04:32:21 PM »
I didn't really study at all...took a free proctored timed test about 3 or 4 months before my test date, did really well, and said I was gonna have a study routine over the summer - but I didn't. I was internin in DC, sharin an apt with a friend, and the LSAT never really got much attention, other than the occasional scanning of practice questions while watchin tv or something. Then I went over practice questions (answering sample questions, then checking the answers, one section at a time with no timer or anything) for an hour or two the night before the test

...I wouldn't recommend this tho. Cause, even tho I pulled out a pretty good score, I know I could've done better if I'd actually studied with some kind of systematic regularity. And its always better to know you did your best...
in: boalt, nyu, columbia, harvard, stanford, YALE!!!
in...later: northwestern ($$$$)
out: NOBODY
waiting: NOBODY

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=reutynwer

brooklyn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 04:34:03 PM »
edited:  not long.  "LSAT 180 Preptests" was helpful.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 04:53:48 PM »
I studied for a month and got a 165. I'm not sure I would have done drastically better had I studied for longer, although it's possible. I did some practice questions and took about 7 practice tests and that's it.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 10:38:00 PM »
I plan on studying for about 5 months and put in about 5-600 hours and take every previous LSAT. Thats just me. Very neurotic.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 11:46:31 PM »
I think I spent about 20 hours total, including a practice test. Just to familiarize myself with the test. Don't really believe in studying for standardized tests.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 12:14:36 AM »
Unless I am scoring 180s I will keep studying.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 12:26:48 AM »
Understandable, it's just against my principles.