Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duq, Drexel, or Pace? I need help guys?!  (Read 749 times)

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
Duq, Drexel, or Pace? I need help guys?!
« on: March 11, 2006, 01:06:58 PM »
So itís getting about time to start making decisions, and I really am not sure what to do. I have been accepted to Duquesne in Pittsburgh, Drexel in Philly, pace in NY, and FP in NH. Problem is, I have no idea where to go... I practically have no money for law school, and I'm going to get the 18500 from the government, the rest will need to be paid out of pocket. Drexel gave me a 14000 scholarship, meaning I wouldnít have to pay anything, which is ideal, although the school is not accredited and who knows if I can def. maintain the 3.0 gpa... then comes Duquesne, which is like 22k a year, which is not bad, and I could probably afford it, yet I know nothing about Pittsburgh and if Duquesne is a good law school... lastly, I just got into pace, which is ideal because its so close to my home in NJ, yet its like 32k, meaning I would have to pay a significant amount out of my pocket which I donít have... FP I visited and just didnít like...

so there is my conundrum... and Iím so stuck in between choices... a part of me says go to Drexel for free, but then my rationality says "are u nuts" what if they donít get accreditation or u lose the scholarship, and the other part says go to Duquesne, its tier 3, its in the city, but I donít know n e thing about it and id have to leave my home state of jersey which I've never done. And then thereís pace, which I really liked, but canít afford...

So now that I have ranted for too long, what do you guys and girls think? I could use all the advice/input/comments I could get... what would u do in this case? Thank you so much for the help everyone!

-mike
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

danger

• View Profile
Re: Duq, Drexel, or Pace? I need help guys?!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 01:26:06 PM »
Where are you hoping to practice after you graduate?

If you're looking to stay in the tri-state area, Pace would seem to make the most sense.

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 04:17:00 PM »
Well, I should say don't choose Duquesne....simply because I'm still waiting to hear from them and they're my number one choice ;)...but I won't. Frankly, I wouldn't gamble with Drexel. It's funny cuz I applied there too but it was a hasty decision made easier since the application was free. I haven't heard back from them as of yet but I'm thinking of withdrawing my application so that they don't tempt me with money as well. I know everyone is saying that Drexel is such a great school and that it WILL get provisionally accredited in time for graduation but NOTHING is a sure thing. You NEVER know what will happen so just don't chance it. I know the money looks good but it'll mean nothing when you get stuck graduating from a non-aba school in 2009. FP is already ruled out since you said you didn't like it after your visit. So there's Pace and Duquesne. It all depends on where you want to practice. Outside of transferring after your first year, if you do decide to stick it out at either school are you willing to practice around NYC or Pittsburgh? With Pace, I feel it will be a bit harder for you get a great job upon graduation just because you're competing with a bunch of other great schools in and around NYC (unless you do environmental law). However, with Duquesne, they place REALLY well I have read in parts of PA. So job prospects will be a bit better coming out of Duquesne. So with that I'd say Duquesne. If you're still contemplating by next week, I'm planning on going down to Pittsburgh and visiting the school and learning a little about the area from the 19th-21st so I can definitely leave a nice review when I get back. Good luck with your decision!

cultural_vacuum

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 04:46:40 PM »
Even if Drexel does become an ABA school by the time you graduate, and you maintain your scholarship, bear in mind that you will be graduating from a school with no alumni network. This is not something I would want to be faced with. Finding a good job after graduation will  likely be difficult, even with their co-op program.

I would cross Drexel off your list.

Have you visited Duquesne yet? I really think you should if it is feasible. Contact the school and ask for contact info of recent graduates. Talk to them for answers to your more specific questions about the school.

How do you know you can't afford Pace? Are private loans not an option for you, or are you just scared of taking out that much money in loans? If you really cannot afford it and have no way of securing the money to pay the tuition, you can cross it off your list.

Good luck with your decision.

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 05:16:28 PM »
thanks for all the quick replies... i totally understand about the drexel thing, and yes, it was the money that was tempting me... as far as practicing goes, my family is in the tri state area, but if it means a better job in pittsburgh, i wouldnt mind going there. regarding the loans, i have bad credit as well as many of the people i would ask to cosign, so i dont think i would even get a private loan. I guess that only leaves duquesne. but ive heard some reviews about duquesne being a very strict regiment of required classes. whats that all about? what is duquesne known for? any more advice would also be appreciated. thanks again to everyone else who replied!
Lets go Pirates!

Capt. Nick

• The pain is great.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 01:18:26 PM »
Don't count out Drexel!  As for the 3.0 scholarship thing, they have lowered the GPA needed to 2.67.  Drexel also does have an alumni network.  More then 1,000 Drexel undergrad alumni are lawyers have formed a Drexel Law Alumni group to support the law school.  I know ABA accreditation is not a sure thing but its not rocket science either.  The ABA puts down guidelines and the school follows them.  Pure and simple.  Beyond that, Drexel has the community support and $$$ to make it happen. 

Future and prospective Drexel students have started a board to discuss the school and raise concerns.  The faculty have also been VERY active in replying to e-mails including Tobey Oxholm.  Give the board a look!  http://s15.invisionfree.com/Drexel_Law/index.php
At least you can get a second opinion from people who are actually about to take the gamble on Drexel and not just people who have no vested interest.

As far as Pace goes, I wasn't too impressed, but I guess it depends on your own slant.  Pace is very much involved in public service and environmental law.  As one a bit on the conservative side, I felt a bit out of place.  I also thought it was WAY too much $$$ for a Tier 4 school.
In: Widener, Pace, Drexel, U Balt., Southwestern, Quinnipiac
Out: U MD, DePaul, Loyola-Chicago & LA, Temple, American, Seton Hall, Chicago, Pepperdine, RU-Camden, Chicago-Kent
Waitlist: Catholic, Hofstra, Chapman
To go: 3 + 1
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=CaptNick

Atlas4983

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 07:08:53 PM »
I just went to the Accepted Students Day at Drexel, and seriously, it was probably the best one I've been to yet (I went to one at Syracuse, one at SUNY Albany, etc.). The professors seemed incredibly smart, amazingly real, and very enthusiastic. governor Rendell spoke to the students, and at the brunch, students got to talk to Judges, local IP lawyers, former Drexel undergrads who became lawyers, a former president of the ABA- I'd definetly give Drexel a chance.

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 07:16:04 PM »
haha i was there too atlas... and i will agree it was an awesome accepted students day. The liberty museum was a perfect place and the reception was great. Giv. Rendell was such a nice guy and I even got to speak with him for a few minutes. Im def not counting Drexel out, but im going to visit Duq on Wednesday. Once i have both visitations in hand, i will make my decision (although i have a feeling it will be very difficult)
Lets go Pirates!

Evolve

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - ekleveland@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kapuda
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 10:23:46 AM »
Best of luck and keep us posted on what you thought of Duq.

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 01:27:25 AM »
Well I just got back from Duquesne and to be honest... I loved it. The school was great and the area was fun and upbeat as well... i wrote more about it in my thread about Duq if anyones interested...

but ive pretty much decided to send my deposit into Duquesne. Barring any unforseen favorable admittances from a few pending apps... ill be a "Duke" this fall...

its nice to finally have some stablization and certainty
Lets go Pirates!