Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Recommend books for me (just good books to read.. in preparation for life)  (Read 14519 times)

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Actually dry crop farming in Eastern Montana had a lot of religious significance for the poor bastards who tried to believe in it.  Taming the wilderness and so forth.  Dreams of scientific soil cultivation and promises of Jeffersonian communities of virtuous and prosperous small farmers.  Didn't work out so well.  Australia, the poorest continent, probably is very similar. 

Have you ever been out there to Glasgow and Whitney and Mildred and the other barely hanging on old towns?  Pretty neat country. 

redemption

Have you ever been out there to Glasgow and Whitney and Mildred and the other barely hanging on old towns?  Pretty neat country. 

No, I haven't. I love barely-hanging-on towns, though. It's hard to explain.

Have you read Cadillac Desert?

Cadillac Desert is a rollicking read, and fascinating, too. You should watch Chinatown after you've read that book. I read it before my first ever Vegas trip, and it colored my experience.

magnumalv

It's because it leaves so much to the imagination--you fill desolation with your own version of beauty, instead of the pre-packaged appeal of urbanity.

redemption

It's because it leaves so much to the imagination--you fill desolation with your own version of beauty, instead of the pre-packaged appeal of urbanity.

That too  ;)

schneri

• Sr. Citizen
  • BC '09
    • View Profile
Some good Books I've read recently:
- Freakonomics - Steven Levitt
- The Paradox of Choice - Why more is Less - Barry Schwartz
- The Undercover Economist, or maybe it was underground
- A short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

Noty sure if any have been posted in this thread, didn't have the time to read it all...

Messily

I wasn't too impressed by Bryson. 

I think you might be the first person I've encountered who's read the book and not been gung-ho about it.  I keep putting off reading it because I find his travel writing pretty so-so.  He has a folksiness that I'm not sure I'd appreciate in a science book.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend books for me (just good books to read.. in preparation for life)
« Reply #196 on: September 17, 2007, 01:36:14 PM »
http://www.collegehumor.com/picture:1773787

the only book you really need for LS and beyond...
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend books for me (just good books to read.. in preparation for life)
« Reply #197 on: December 23, 2007, 05:39:21 AM »
No idea what's been said on here recently, but "The Kite Runner" was truly incredible.
I am officially a law school graduate : )