Law School Discussion

Recommend books for me (just good books to read.. in preparation for life)

redemption

I thought that Collapse was the better book.

Who doesn't know the premise or the stories retold by GG&S? In any case his narrative in that book is woefully incomplete and reductionist - an airport book.

Collapse, though, was interesting because he narratives in it are less well known and because he narrates the counterintuitive logic of self-annihilation quite well. It is almost philosophical in that way.

pass36

• But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Do you just wait for me to post things so you can disagree?  :D

I like to think of myself as fairly well-read and a lot of the stuff about New Guinea in Guns was new to me.  Certainly more so than the Australia stuff in Collapse. 

Collapse was definitely more ambitious and broader, so maybe it is just a case of it is easier to be definitive about a smaller topic.  But I did not find the group decision making stuff new.  Didn't Robert Jervis say many of the same things 25 years ago?

Lionel Hutz

• aka Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
it didn't, and i'm the OP and greatly enjoyed his list :)..
I was being sassy bc of the text book comment. I was also being wrong. Nothing like telling someone to reread a post you yourself haven't reread. D'oh.  :P

redemption

Do you just wait for me to post things so you can disagree?  :D

I like to think of myself as fairly well-read and a lot of the stuff about New Guinea in Guns was new to me.  Certainly more so than the Australia stuff in Collapse. 

Collapse was definitely more ambitious and broader, so maybe it is just a case of it is easier to be definitive about a smaller topic.  But I did not find the group decision making stuff new.  Didn't Robert Jervis say many of the same things 25 years ago?

It seems like it, doesn't it?  ;D

No, it's just that GG&S is over-hyped. It also smacks of "oh, that's why they're uncivilised" which, I suppose, is the purpose of the book, but still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, fair or not. Also, I have a pet peeve which is that geographers think that geography explains everything, economists think that economics explains everything, etc ad nauseam. GG&S comes close to purporting to wholly explain the big pattern, and of course, in reality, it doesn't.

Collapse was more modest. Yes, it is also casual reading, but it was fine.

redemption

We wish to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families by Philip Gourevitch (Just started, I'll let you know how it is!)

Don't read while eating.  I made that mistake.  But very good

Yes. Good book in all the ways that a book should be good.

Bushy

The Bible

redemption

Also, Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland, Christopher Browning

And Pedagogy of the Oppressed, Paulo Freire

You have good taste  ;)

Bushy

I loved Underground by Haruki Murakami. Also, check out Samantha Power's The Problem of Hell. Letters to a Young Poet by Ranier Maria Rilke is one of my all-time favorites, along with Compassion by Henri Nouwen.

allyreese

Fiction (good stuff, pretty contemporary)
Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides
If on a Winter's Night a Traveller - Italo Calvino (weird, but i loved it)
Bee Season - Myla Goldberg (soon to be a major motion picture)
The Crimson Petal and the White - Michael Faber
The Known World - Edward P Jones (i thought this was amazing)

EDIT - sorry, i had been reading the thread backwards and didnt' see that you'd gotten to Middlesex and Known World - ignore.

Nonfiction (but easy and enjoyable)
Skipping Toward Gomorrah - Dan Savage (hilarious)
What is Life Worth - Kenneth Feinberg (not actually a very good book, but interesting)
Bookseller of Kabul - Asne Seierstad (instead of Kite Runner)
John Adams - David McCullough (ok, not so easy, but very good)

when i'm looking for good books i browse around amazon's different lists of literary awards, the nonfiction winners are generally a little dense for pleasure reading, but if you've got the stamina...