Law School Discussion

Recommend books for me (just good books to read.. in preparation for life)

badmammajamma

• I drew this on the Microsoft Paint. Sweet, huh?
    • View Profile
Lily:
I laughed aloud and wanted to grab a napkin and pen when I read your appraisal of Rand fans. My brother read Rand, decided to adopt her books as an infallable life guide, and now thinks I am the family Peter Keating: a shallow product of a shallow society, since I don't wear unappreciated art and a permanently drained bank account as a badge of honor.

TXcal

• View Profile
Lily:
I laughed aloud and wanted to grab a napkin and pen when I read your appraisal of Rand fans. My brother read Rand, decided to adopt her books as an infallable life guide, and now thinks I am the family Peter Keating: a shallow product of a shallow society, since I don't wear unappreciated art and a permanently drained bank account as a badge of honor.

:D

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
Lily:

:D 

As for books to read, on the nonfiction side, I'd like to add:

1) Has Feminism Changed Science? by Londa Schiebinger
2) Down to Earth: Nature's Role in American History by Ted Steinberg
3) One World, Ready or Not by William Greider

getinsomewhere

I haven't read the entire thread, but some things I found enjoyable and/or remarkable:

Newish Fiction
Hari Kunzru (author) - Impressionist of Transmission
The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks
The Tyrants Novel by Keneally

Older Fiction
Something by Hemmingway (recommend Sun Also Rises)
Something by Dreiser (recommend Sister Carrie)
Kafka (maybe Metaphorphasis)
Dostoeyevski (Crime and Punishment)

Others
Marquez - Living to Tell the Tale
Foucault - Discipline and Punish
Something McCoulough (if you like American stuff/history)

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
Hmmm... For basics that are still a lot of fun, I'd say definitely Crime and Punishment, some Kurt Vonnegut (Mother Night is my personal favorite, but I suppose Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse 5 are the better known, and thus more culturally relevant ones), Catch 22, 1984, Animal Farm, Huck Finn (or, really, anything by Mark Twain), House of the Spirits, Satanic Verses.

Ok, I'm really a fiction person.  I try to read non fiction, but I just love novels so much.

And this is weird but I'd recommend one of the Lost Behind series, if you can get ahold of it without paying them money.  It's really badly written, but interesting and extremely different in perspective from pretty much everything else I've ever read, in a way that's very culturally relevant in the US right now.

And, tag, because this is an awesome thread.

thank you, guys! this is an awesome thread.

i'm totally a fiction person myself. and i rather enjoy a lot of trashy fiction as well as the good stuff..  :D

eta: i've been noticing how awkward my grammar is lately.. chalk it up to the fact that my english was almost entirely self-taught through voracious reading in a foreign country. i do need to read that grammar book. and how to write essays? never learned that either! i just try the best i can. can i go back to high school in the U.S., please? or middle school maybe. restarting my academic life like that would be kinda nice.. ;)

Lionel Hutz

• aka Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Patricia Williams, Alchemy of Race and Rights
Any of Sarah Kane's plays--I especially "enjoyed" (if you can call it that) 4.48 Psychosis and Skin

Kane did a Plath, didn't she?

I'm interested in reading a book about England/Britain during the 1980's.  Can anyone suggest anything?

Getting to Maybe - Helps with writing law school exams.

i loved loved LOVED:

* A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius--Dave Eggers
* A Million Little Pieces--James Frey (a lot of people are angry about this being embellished, but it's fantastic. the quote in my signature is from the sequel to AMLP)
* Ender's Game--Orson Scott Card (you may have already read this, it's a pretty easy read, but very compelling)
* Survivor or Invisible Monsters--Two books by Chuck Palahniuk, author of Fight Club
* Foundation by Isaac Asimov and Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward were two Sci-Fi books I really enjoyed.