Law School Discussion

Recommend books for me (just good books to read.. in preparation for life)

redemption

i like reading ayn rand for fun but i once dated an objectivist and they can seriously be insufferable people. we'd fight whenever politics came up.  :D

Why in the world is Ayn Rand so fashionable. I could never understand it.

M DOT

saw micth album listed and have to add "Tuesdays With Morrie"...i actually need to reread it, had me in tears on the T in boston by the end, but im a sentimental fool for stuff like and am still using quotes from it

badmammajamma, i love the ultimate warrior tar!

serpentstooth

• c'est moi
    • View Profile
i like reading ayn rand for fun but i once dated an objectivist and they can seriously be insufferable people. we'd fight whenever politics came up.  :D

I think it's because she makes people feel morally righteous when they're really just being selfish assholes.

Just my $.02, though. :-\

Gee...I really hope that's not the reason I like it!

Actually, I have a lot of problems with her philosophies, but I enjoy her characterizations.  I was pretty surprised to read the intro to Fountainhead after reading the book and find out that the only character you're actually supposed to respect is Howard Roark, since my favorite character was Gail Wynand.

TXcal

• View Profile

I think it's because she makes people feel morally righteous when they're really just being selfish assholes.

Just my $.02, though. :-\

Yeah, it's an uncharitable thought, but one I share about Rand fans.

Sea Dream, have you read the Transmetropolitan series by Warren Ellis?  I have a feeling you'd like it...

i haven't, but i'll definitely try to get my hands on it. (all of this is made slightly difficult by the fact that i'm in a foreign country.. man i miss american public libraries.  :D)

and yeah.. selfishness is supposed to be the god of objectivism, or at least that's the little i gleaned from dating an objectivist. not my cup of tea, but he felt pretty strongly about it. he was such a perfect nice and wonderful guy otherwise. haha

TXcal

• View Profile
i haven't, but i'll definitely try to get my hands on it. (all of this is made slightly difficult by the fact that i'm in a foreign country.. man i miss american public libraries.  :D)

Oh--I didn't realize you were abroad!  Yeah, it'd be hard to find it in a library anyway--it's a graphic novel, so you'd probably have to go to a comic-book shop or borrow it from a comic-book person.

redemption

Damn. My PS was about Law and how it's a load of crap. That's bad?

Gee...I really hope that's not the reason I like it!

Actually, I have a lot of problems with her philosophies, but I enjoy her characterizations.  I was pretty surprised to read the intro to Fountainhead after reading the book and find out that the only character you're actually supposed to respect is Howard Roark, since my favorite character was Gail Wynand.

totally agree re: the characterization. dont remember who gail wynand is though, but i have really bad long term memory regarding books.. so i just reread them.

redemption

Let's hope.  ;)

Lionel Hutz

• aka Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Ayn Rand gets a bad rap. Okay, she's a little repetitive and she's got this recurring rape fantasy, but most of her ideas at least deserve examination. She calls attention to many assumptions I might otherwise no have questioned, which I loved.

Anyway, to throw in a couple suggestions. Richard Feynman's memoirs (Surely You're Joking...) are a fantastic read, as are Olivers Sacks' (The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat; Uncle Tungsten).

In the realm of cultural criticsm, anything by Noam Chomsky or Christopher Hitchens is sure to light a fire in you.

And if you haven't read Into Thin Air by John Krakauer (sp?), you should do that, too.

This is fun!