Law School Discussion

Recommend books for me (just good books to read.. in preparation for life)

magnumalv

I guess my point is, though I am not a lit expert, that asking who is influenced by Camus is like asking who is influenced by Jackson Pollock.  He is a very influential writer who affected a lot of subsequent writiers in varying degrees.  If somone were to actually write a book (in 1960 or 1990) like The Stranger it would be trite, and probably unread.  MOMA doesn't have paintings by Pollock immitators.  Maybe there are some neo-existentialists (or neo-whatevers) that are seen as directly influenced by Camus?

You're right, Camus is an influence, but saying that all who have read/written a book in 20th century English have been influenced by him is an overstatement. Eventually the ripple effect becomes so small as to be inconsequential.

magnumalv

redemption

magnumalv

:D :D :D

a dork and a smartass

I like to think of it as a refined sense of humor.

:P

Zeveria

I guess my point is, though I am not a lit expert, that asking who is influenced by Camus is like asking who is influenced by Jackson Pollock.  He is a very influential writer who affected a lot of subsequent writiers in varying degrees.  If somone were to actually write a book (in 1960 or 1990) like The Stranger it would be trite, and probably unread.  MOMA doesn't have paintings by Pollock immitators.  Maybe there are some neo-existentialists (or neo-whatevers) that are seen as directly influenced by Camus?

You're right, Camus is an influence, but saying that all who have read/written a book in 20th century English have been influenced by him is an overstatement. Eventually the ripple effect becomes so small as to be inconsequential.

I might agree
I also think that when discussing the arts of the mid to late 20th c. (and contemp.) you can no longer talk about a direct influence.  That canon was torn apart in early 20thc. Paris or even in the 1860s.  Influences are diffuse.  Therefore, I think everything influences everything and a seminal work such as The Stranger is a much greater player in that dynamic then X book. 

redemption

Oh, the anxiety of influence.

magnumalv

Yeah. Your sig seems appropriate, red.

The trouble with "everything influences everything" is that it's often taken to the extremes. I mean, d'you really think Aristotle influenced, say Harry Potter?

redemption

Yeah. Your sig seems appropriate, red.

The trouble with "everything influences everything" is that it's often taken to the extremes. I mean, d'you really think Aristotle influenced, say Harry Potter?

No. CS Lewis did.

Zeveria

In many ways, of course, yes.

He is not necessarily a very direct influence.  It's not that important.  It's like of course the bible influenced everything in English, but that doesn't mean there aren't other more salient influences, or those that diverge from the norm, that is the general and varied influence of the bible.