Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Working as a 1L  (Read 2220 times)

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Working as a 1L
« on: March 10, 2006, 11:33:28 PM »
So I just found out I am getting laid off from my job this week, and I have been applying for some part-time jobs so I can make some cash before law school starts. My plan is to just save enough to pay my bills for the year so that I don't have to work. Where ever I decide to go, I have to do pretty well to keep my scholarship money and I don't want to take on a job and law school at the same time.

Tonight, however, my father got in a fight with me because I don't plan on working as a 1L. He basically said I'm worthless if I don't have a job. I had a job in college, but it was real flexible and on-campus and didn't affect me too much. My Dad though thinks I should be working at nights, after class. The thought of doing that seems crazy to me.

Am I right in thinking that trying to work on top of first year work is just too much? Is my Dad just an idiot?

nicodemus

• View Profile
Re: Working as a 1L
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 12:10:41 AM »
I'm not positive about this, but the ABA may restrict your ability to work as a 1L. In any case, it's pretty unusual to work as a 1L (unlike in college), and I recommend against it. Your dad's intentions may be good, but he probably doesn't know what he's talking about. You might want to ask your schools about this as well.

"V"

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 12:18:18 AM »
Sounds like my dad.

Ignore him.

Seriously.

PreLaw99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 12:19:06 AM »
No work as a 1L unless you go part time, then I think the limit is  like 20hrs a week.

slicric

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 12:26:32 AM »
Any improvement in grades you can get from not being forced to work during a rigorous 1L year will be worth far more than the money you can make in a part-time job.  If you are the top 20% of your class instead of the top 10% because you had to work, you may end up making 10,000 dollars less a year for the next 35 years.  That's 350,000 dollars.  If you aren't going to make that part-time in the evenings, I would suggest against working.  Think long term. 

When you work, you are essentially saying your leisure time is valued at your wage rate.  So if you make 10 dollars per-hour part-time.  Your leisure time is worth 10 dollars per hour.  When you become an attorney you are going to be making a lot more than 10 dollars per hour.  If it's 70 dollars an hour your leisure time is going to cost you seven times as much once you graduate from law school.  Why not buy it now while it's relatively cheap?  You have to think long-term.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 12:31:32 AM »
Seconded (Thirded?) - Don't work.  Many schools require that you agree not to work.  Even at those that don't, it's not a good idea.  If you have free time, great - have fun.  But don't spend valuable free time making money that isn't worth your time.  Think of law school loans as borrowing from your future, richer self.  He/she won't mind letting you slide for some beer money.

cyberrev

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 01:11:07 AM »
20 hours per week is the aba limit, regardless of year.

not all of us get scholarships.  i have a family to feed, and dont want to live in my car.  18.5 wont pay tuition, books and living expenses.

it all depends on how bad you want it.

"V"

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 01:14:56 AM »

not all of us get scholarships.  i have a family to feed, and dont want to live in my car.  18.5 wont pay tuition, books and living expenses.

Fitting avatar.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 01:16:12 AM »

Fitting avatar.

Speaking of avatars, I just saw yours on broadway yesterday.  I enjoyed it, but I just wish it were louder.  I wanted to rock out!

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 01:18:48 AM »
Just lie to him..."Dad, I checked with the school and a condition of my scholarship is that I not work..."

or there's always "I'm like, '@#!* off and die',  and stick up my two fingers and one more to make three"