• Lola is a badger!
    • View Profile
Re: $$$$ ON WISCONSIN $$$$ !!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 04:26:43 PM »
Yes HippieLawChick, I am.

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 05:56:47 PM »
Hey all,

I am also seriously considering Wisconsin after receiving the same scholarship as rhythmbomb and visiting Madison last week and talking to some current students, Dean of Admissions, etc.  I really liked Madison and was pretty definite about my decision to attend UWisc (even bought a keychain and a hoodie at the bookstore).. until yesterday I was surprised to find out that I was admitted to both Berkeley and Michigan.  No news on any sort of financial aid yet (that is if they offer me any)... I don't know if I can justify digging myself deeper into debt for these top ranked schools if I can get just as good an education at Wisconsin. 

Anyone have any input... by the way I'd really like to work in Chicago eventually (although the prospect of working in San Francisco after Berkeley wouldn't be a bad option either)

seriously consider Boalt and Michigan....

I think Michigan does a lot better in Chicago than Wisconsin. That other poster is full of it about going to school in Chicago. Michigan is better for Chicago than anyplace in Chicago other than U Chicago or maybe, *maybe* Northwestern.

lululu

• Lola is a badger!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 06:58:24 PM »
Yeah, the more I look at Michigan, the more I'm realizing how awesome it would be to go there.  I'm wondering whether or not they're going to throw me any money at all.  How is Michigan in terms of financial aid?  Anyone have any stories?

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 09:25:12 PM »
I'm in the same boat, I have received big scholarships from many T1 schools like MN and IL, still waiting on WI, and nothing from MI.  I think that Michigan is too good of a school to pass up to save money (even though it's a lot of money). I have visited both WI and MI, and IMO Michigan is clearly superior in most every way.  If you really want to work in Chicago, Michigan is a much better option than Wisconsin.  In regards to your question about Michiganís aid this is what I have read on their website.

What sort of financial aid is available for law students?
Financial aid for law school is a combination of loans and grants. The Office of Financial Aid administers grants and loans on the basis of financial need; the Admissions Office administers requests for grants on the basis of academic merit. In the 2005 entering class, 80 percent of students received some form of grant, in an average amount of $8,600. 51 percent of first-year students received grants based on financial need; 36 percent received grants based on academic merit; 7 percent received a combination.

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 07:01:20 AM »
They told us at the admitted students day that only about 25% at Wisconsin receive money.  I think it's great that they do such a great job of diversifying the student body (according to them, 25% of students are minorities), but that also means that the odds of someone other than a URM getting money are slim. 

Thank god I am in state there!

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 01:40:55 PM »
stats jammer? 

lululu

• Lola is a badger!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 01:49:43 PM »
That's what they said for me too... "good standing" or something to that effect.  I was also told that "good standing" means a minimum 2.0 GPA.

rhythmbomb

• ON WISCONSIN!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 01:53:58 PM »
That's what they said for me too... "good standing" or something to that effect.  I was also told that "good standing" means a minimum 2.0 GPA.

Same here - and I can't work more than 10 hours a week.

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 03:24:58 PM »
Can't one of you give up on WI for a more lucrative offer and designate that your $$$ go to poor OLD HLC?

;-)