Law School Discussion

$$$$ ON WISCONSIN $$$$ !!!!!!

rhythmbomb

• ON WISCONSIN!!!
    • View Profile
$$$$ ON WISCONSIN $$$$ !!!!!!
« on: March 10, 2006, 03:46:40 PM »
For everyone waiting for Fin-Aid news from Wisconsin, I wanted everyone to know that I finally got mine yesterday (I was admitted 1/11/06).  It was well worth the wait!  Full-ride!!! See LSN profile for details.

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: $$$$ ON WISCONSIN $$$$ !!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 12:40:30 PM »
any new news from anyone else?

rhythmbomb

• ON WISCONSIN!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 04:05:53 PM »
any new news from anyone else?

Nope.  Looks like we'll probably be classmates. I am going to try and keep an open mind and visit Iowa, too, but everybody I know raves about Wisconsin, so that'll probably be my choice.  I'm resigned to the fact that the cycle is over, at least for me.

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 04:08:20 PM »
Dammit Rhythmbomb: I was hoping you would turn down the money so I could get a shot at getting some!

Just kidding.  I am looking forward to rockin WI with you in fall!  What state are you staying at right now?

rhythmbomb

• ON WISCONSIN!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 05:32:03 PM »
Dammit Rhythmbomb: I was hoping you would turn down the money so I could get a shot at getting some!

Just kidding.  I am looking forward to rockin WI with you in fall!  What state are you staying at right now?

I'm here in sunny Long Beach, CA, about 1/2 a mile from the ocean.  Sure am gonna miss the weather. How about you?  Where do you hang your hat?

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 07:21:43 AM »
I am a native Wisconsinite.  I can tell you that a nice Columbia coat (the ones with the fleece inner shell) will become your best friend during winter, but it really isn't that bad.  I only wore my boots about 4 times this winter and most days I don't bother with gloves and a hat unless I will be outside for more than 30 minutes.  MN winters are horrible, but WI's are not all their cracked up to be. 

You will find that people here say "yeah" and "hey" much more than the rest of the world, but we are also freakishly friendly. 

lululu

• Lola is a badger!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 10:31:32 AM »
Hey all,

I am also seriously considering Wisconsin after receiving the same scholarship as rhythmbomb and visiting Madison last week and talking to some current students, Dean of Admissions, etc.  I really liked Madison and was pretty definite about my decision to attend UWisc (even bought a keychain and a hoodie at the bookstore).. until yesterday I was surprised to find out that I was admitted to both Berkeley and Michigan.  No news on any sort of financial aid yet (that is if they offer me any)... I don't know if I can justify digging myself deeper into debt for these top ranked schools if I can get just as good an education at Wisconsin. 

Anyone have any input... by the way I'd really like to work in Chicago eventually (although the prospect of working in San Francisco after Berkeley wouldn't be a bad option either)

ARG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 10:32:54 AM »
If you want to work in Chicago you are better off going to school in Chicago

rhythmbomb

• ON WISCONSIN!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 10:55:30 AM »
Wow, lululu, that's great news about Boalt and Michigan!  Congrats!!!  Personally, I couldn't consider attending a higher ranked school w/o considerable financial aid, but that's just me.  If I were 10 years younger, and you probably are, I'd consider sucking up the debt, especially if you're thinking biglaw - you'll pay it off pretty quick.  I'm not thinking biglaw, and I think graduating with less debt will allow me to pursue types of law that may not pay as well to start.  Again, congrats and good luck!

lululu

• Lola is a badger!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 11:07:38 AM »
Thanks rhythmbomb... I guess I'll just wait and see if Berkeley or Michigan offers me anything.  I too am hesitant to take on too much debt for law school as I already have significant debt from undergrad and graduate school.  Wisconsin is going to be a hard deal to beat!